fight starter...do wetsuits stretch out over time?

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
obviously neoprene is stretchy, but if you get one that is tight, in say, the shoulder areas, does it stretch over time?

I always thought neoprene hardened over and that the stretching effect was from the seams not holding it together

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I feel like they get tighter over time, and less elastic. And no I'm not any fatter than I was. I did not catch COVID-15.

Ah! When new, yes, I feel like stretch for a while, then they dry out and contract and get brittle.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thin wetsuits stretch for sure. 5mil suits not so much.........
This. I think the superstretchy material like ebomb or technobabble will stretch out over time, mostly around shoulders /chest entry.

My old (3-yr) matuse definitely shrunk over the summer. I got a new suit but I Just used it today fir the first time since May and it went from a XL (I’m usually LT) to a L which is now snug and noticeably too short in the wrists and ankles now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RattimusBeach
Nov 16, 2020
I feel like they get tighter over time, and less elastic. And no I'm not any fatter than I was. I did not catch COVID-15.

Ah! When new, yes, I feel like stretch for a while, then they dry out and contract and get brittle.
They do that when they aren't rinsed out well. Full soak in a bucket, with a touch of laundry soap

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
obviously neoprene is stretchy, but if you get one that is tight, in say, the shoulder areas, does it stretch over time?

I always thought neoprene hardened over and that the stretching effect was from the seams not holding it together
Not if you urinate in it, but it must be done while in the parking lot, before every session.

Reactions: SharkBoy and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Had a Quiksilver 2mil SS that was great for 2 years, then all of a sudden ballooned at least two sizes. Maybe more the case of breaking down rather than stretching.

Reactions: SharkBoy

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
title is do wetsuits stretch. Aren’t the seams part of the wetsuit? :poke:

I think depends on the suit. Ive had some shrink. Or I grew. I had others that ballooned in goofy spots. I surely was not the one that shrank.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Yes, mine have definitely stretch over time. You'll especially notice it in the shoulders, chest, and neck areas.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
This. I think the superstretchy material like ebomb or technobabble will stretch out over time, mostly around shoulders /chest entry.

My old (3-yr) matuse definitely shrunk over the summer. I got a new suit but I Just used it today fir the first time since May and it went from a XL (I’m usually LT) to a L which is now snug and noticeably too short in the wrists and ankles now.
I do notice Matuse suits shrink especially in the winter...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think the new stretchy neoprenes still shrink but the elastic still stretches making tons of micro holes.

my last old suit turned into a mesh screen in the armpits and is why I had to replace it.