Federal, State and Local Covid Restrictions: Where do you draw the line?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Depends of the restriction. Making restaurants close at 10 (or 9, or 11) as LA is starting, is stupid. Better to limit the amount of time at a table and allow business to be open later. I think there are limits on times at tables already, not being enforced. So much is arbitrary, it's muddy.

I don't think a national mask mandate or curfew or other things from the president are constitutional, but the courts decide those things.

If Congress gets involved, well, they have the right to "regulate commerce." What those two words mean has been up for debate since they were written.

The American attitude is, everything is business, we reap what we sow.

I don't care. If it gets idiots to wear a masks and social distance. So be it. They can say.decree what they want, as long as people aren't actually criminalized for not following. Ridiculed, fine. I think public shaming is good.

Bring back the pillory to the town square.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Feds have no real ability to do anything - it's why Trump couldn't order everything open, and it's why Biden has already said there will be no nation-wide mask mandate.

To me, CA's been pretty fair. I'd like to see them be more focused though - there's evidence about where this spreads and where it doesn't. Kids soccer games are safe. Bars are not. Churches are not. Gyms are. Beaches are. Set restrictions this way.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I draw the line at any closure or restriction whatsoever
Still ignoring the fact that you don't have the right to hurt other people.

You don't have constitutional freedom to do whatever the fück you want, this society has rules.

How long have you lived here?

Are you a baby?