February 23, 1945

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We’ve all heard of the Tuskegee airmen.
Not sure about WWII returning soldiers ‘welcome home’ but the surely the families were proud and relieved for their safe return. I found my former army commander, Thomas Fuller who retired as a ‘bull’ Colonel with a quick search after posting the Iwo photo. Suffice it to say, Colonel Fuller was a hero and incredible leader in my eyes and a legend to those of us fortunate enough to serve under him. He was the intelligence officer responsible our collecting two American POWs from a NVA/Vietnam Cong camp under an extreme hostile environment. Race had nothing to do with it. John 1CDA42E4-3EAC-4524-B106-92CC05BEB2A6.jpeg

Reactions: Woke AF

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
are you old enough to remember the draft? That's really old.
my best friend’s oldest brother graduated highschool in 1969, as did a large bunch of the neighborhood greasers/hot rodders...

most of them got drafted - lottery time...

it made a lasting impression on me...

one of the best things about being an anonymous troll, like you are, is you can be ageless. and since you’re an unknown, we can only speculate why you’re ashamed of yourself. if anyone really cared...

there’s probably a good reason, right?

:waving: - your fossil buddy...

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
my best friend’s oldest brother graduated highschool in 1969, as did a large bunch of the neighborhood greasers/hot rodders...

one of the best things about being an anonymous troll, like you are, is you can be ageless. and since you’re an unknown, we can only speculate why you’re ashamed of yourself. if anyone really cared...

My dad came close. He graduated in 71 from MHS. I guess there was a lottery system at the time.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
My dad came close. He graduated in 71 from MHS. I guess there was a lottery system at the time.
you can’t help yourself from trying to throw the race card into any situation.

are you trying to denigrate the guys who served?

that’s truly disgusting.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I graduated in ‘73 and a bunch of guys in my neighborhood 4 - 6 years older than me got drafted. Some didn’t make it back, some made it back damaged, some ok.

Anyone remember Parklane ciggies?

I’m a dinosaur.

Reactions: john4surf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it means it’s a shame you and hal weren’t drafted. you two could have shown balls by fragging your commander in the typing pool...

:waving:
what a spaz

I thought maybe it was slang

was it a colin kaep reference?

that's weird too

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Vietnam war? I graduated from High School in 1968. Every older classmate of mine either joined or got drafted so I was convinced that I was next. Going to war was inevitable and was an undisputed fact. The only choice a teenager had was a college deferment, or a medical deferment if you were too poor to afford college. My closest older friend and mentor was killed in a helicopter he was piloting that was shot down while picking up wounded soldiers. Our families were close friends, it was an overwhelming tragedy. My family was poor so I considered joining the marines, then a miracle happened, I was offered a fully funded football scholarship. But I still had to board a US Government bus with my designated 1-A buddies to attend a pre-induction physical in the federal building in downtown New Orleans. I passed with flying colors so scholarship or not I was going to 'Nam". The summer of 1969 was my turn and I took a chance on the just enacted lottery. All the while the nightly news was as it was for the last 6 years, bloody fighting, enemy body count numbers, and peace marchers. A very stressful time for my generation. Me? I drew a high enough number and went on to college.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
"No kneelers"

what does that mean?

'Kneelers' or 'Kneelo's' is Australian slang for Knee Boarders. I think John4Surf could be correct, Kneeboarding may not have arrived to the Hawaiian Islands until the 60's - would be interesting to figure it out.

Nice insight John

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the whole notion is so tone deaf it begs ridicule...

"kneelers" were still getting lynched in the 40's

when the "kneelers" came home, they were prevented from benefitting from the GI Bill

the "kneelers" couldn't buy homes after fighting for our country due to racist redlining laws