FCS2 = Garbage

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Point is I work two jobs I don’t have much time to mess around with my surf equipment I’d rather be surfing and because of crappy quality this is a complete and utter waste of time two in a row bc of shat qc.

Never knew the forum was in such a support of Chinese manufactured offshore crap

Reactions: rts265

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't know how many boxes FCS makes that come messed up like that (1 in 20? 1 in 1000?), but you do need to email them.

I would've showed it to the shaper who would have made a phone call to the glasser and made it right.

Glasser shouldn't have used the plug in the first place.

Reactions: jkb

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Look at your sh%t when you pick up your boards. Its really simple and then deal with the maker of the board. Sure its a manufacturing thing and an easy fix by said board maker. He could fix easily since he's seen it many times.

Or take some time and learn to do something with your hands. They cant QC EVERY box or fin with a big Co. like that.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Look at your sh%t when you pick up your boards. Its really simple and then deal with the maker of the board. Sure its a manufacturing thing and an easy fix by said board maker. He could fix easily since he's seen it many times.
Seems easy enough.

A lot of this stuff seems like a failure to communicate.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can’t do that when boards are shipped
The way I would do this.

Only order a board that would require shipping to your home from elsewhere if you live in a place where it's an absolute necessity.
Realize the inherent risk involved in shipping a board and the hassle of shipping it back.
Go with a major manufacturer that has their sh!t together as they will likely have better means to deal with any issues.
Order with a credit card - file a claim if it's not right upon receipt.

Another idea is when you order, tell them you're in the process of moving around and to contact you for the shipping addy. When they contact you ask them to QC the board as you had a bad experience once.

An email trail helps with your CC's claims dept.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
On a different note. I remember a thread talking crap about the FCS 2 fin puller. They have one at the Tokoro shop. Kerry put my fins in and pulled them out to check placement. Said puller is helpful cause fins are sharp. He knows I like to put a grub screw in the trailing hole so he put them in while I was settling my bill.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Best box on the market at this time. Will accept the older FCS fins, plus you get fore/aft adjustments. Pre-glass install, trussed top plate. Same price or cheaper cost on the boxes, install kit is something like $70

gearbox.JPG

Reactions: afoaf

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
fcsii should qc their boxes, just like futures should qc their f6 legacy edition fins.

i thought the American way is about the consumer getting what he pays for, and the not having the shoulder the burden of a faulty product. Might as well live in France otherwise.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I have the tap. It'll take 2 min. It'll cost you a Biggie Burger.

If you have a stripped hole, you can just epoxy it and then tap it. Simple.

Since I don't surf, I don't deal w/ this. My boxes are single fin boxes. Simple (unless you're grendel and they crack and leak and you send it back to the glass shop to get fixed and they charge you $90 more and then they crack and leak again after waiting 3 weeks and then you send it back again and they keep it for a month and it still isn't repaired, haha).

Go back to Futures.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
The box seems to be missing the FCS logo in between the two slots. Sign that the hole was not routed deep enough, box sits too high and it got grinded off. There also appears to be some disconnection between the lower lug without the hole and the mesh - maybe that end in particular too high and got grinded through - or is it an air bubble that makes it look like that? How does it compare with the left box? Are you sure the hole did not get filled in with some cover up job?

FCS ii install instructions:
"WARNING: When sanding the plug the sanding depth should remove the L, R or C letter without removing the FCS logo. If the log no longer appears on the fin plug, the installation is too shallow. If the letter still appears on the plug, the installation is too deep. In both cases, the plug won't effectively hold the fin.."

To be fair its bloody difficult to set a fin box perfect. If there is concave in the tail then the jig cannot sit tight against the edge of the hole and a bit of a guess needs to be made when setting the router height to add a little extra to the usual router height instructions. Rocker in the fin box region can cause similar problems too. Part of the reason why its so hard to make money in the board building business.