FCS Wax

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
so it's just me I guess. I much prefer sticky bumps cold vs. sex wax cold which seems better suited to waxing a curb than a surfboard.

edit: damn, you too jkb?!? it's not me that's crazy. I swear, it's everyone else!
Agree 100% only use sexwax tropical for base coat and warm surf trips but find sticky bumps basecoat works equal well.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Sticky Bumps fan for general use.

I stocked up on the Bubble Gum Gu wax a few years back and use it on top of the Sticky Bumps as long as I'm in a wetsuit (which is like 3/4 of the year). I really liked that stuff and found it better than Fu but it seems like they stopped making. The less sticky, tropical version of it was good most of the year and the cooler version was great in winter to get a little more stick when it's freezing. I actually liked how it ended up on my gloves and gave a little more tack. Gloves slipping off the rail in cold water and blowing a takeoff followed by a trip through the washing machine and a cold water flush is a circle of hell I like to avoid.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Having worked in a surf shop for a while, I tried pretty much every type of wax and I've always preferred sex wax. Gives me the best, longest lasting bumps. Sticky bumps and Ms. Palmers smear and get dirty more quickly for me. Wasn't overly impressed with FU. Sticky bumps Munkey and Punt are god awful, especially if you are in trunks. Like the sticky bumps basecoat though. Thought bubble gum cold water was decent too.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I like to go sb base then sex wax quick humps to build up the nice beads Followed by sb for the stickyness. I found just quick bumps ok in warmer temps but not good enough alone when it gets cold. If i just use sticky bumps the bumps flatten out way faster

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Got a couple of free bars from Jack's in Huntington this past Sunday (and 30% off my daughter's new 4/3) due to several mistakes the shop rats made putting wrong items on hold and our having to run to three of their locations to get the correct suit we supposedly had on hold.

I tried the wax for the first time this a.m. and I was pretty impressed compared to my current purple box Sex Wax that I've been using the past few weeks. The FCS (cool) wax went on without shredding on top of my established beads and remained a respectable amount of tack throughout the the hour and a half session. It's definitely not FU level stick, but noticeably more than the Sex Wax. It's more expensive than normal wax, so I'm not sure my local shop would flow me any. I can't remember the last time I paid for wax, but this was pretty good stuff if I could get a decent deal on it.
jacks:foreheadslap: should have gone to froghouse

• Love
Reactions: 20W-50 and blood

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
For me, Sticky Bumps for cold or tropical, Sex Wax for cool or warm.

I pretty much use Sex Wax green year round here only changing it up a bit in the summer time.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Are you guys head over heals with the FU wax? I tried it and liked it, but didn't think it was really any better than my go to "Aqua Battle Wax," from Aqua surf shop SF.
I'm convinced ASS Battle Wax (lol) is the best there is for cold water. I re-stocked when I was visiting old friends out there pre-pandemic. I had recently been using some of that new stacky bamps "super stacky" cold wax and switched back to the ASS wax and its so much better. They sell 6-packs on their website and I'm definitely going to order some when I run out. Once when they were out they told me Stay Covered makes their wax and the formula is similar (but not exactly the same), but I can't find that in NY either.

Something about the super stacky is just weird, almost like it's got some glue in it it has this un-natural stick that seems great at first and then wears out and smudges really fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnson7

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm convinced ASS Battle Wax (lol) is the best there is for cold water. I re-stocked when I was visiting old friends out there pre-pandemic. I had recently been using some of that new stacky bamps "super stacky" cold wax and switched back to the ASS wax and its so much better. They sell 10-packs on their website and I'm definitely going to order some when I run out. Once when they were out they told me Stay Covered makes their wax and the formula is similar (but not exactly the same), but I can't find that in NY either.

Something about the super stacky is just weird, almost like it's got some glue in it it has this un-natural stick that seems great at first and then wears out and smudges really fast.
I had to look up ASS battle wax never heard of it out of SFOB:):):)

Reactions: MathDebater
May 24, 2020
What kind of sex wax? This is the first time I've heard of such a thing. It's scary to imagine what people use it for. Some people know no boundaries in their sexual fantasies.
I am a supporter of ordinary candles and the most ordinary wax. I like to light them after work and read my book with a glass of wine. Scented candles have a perfect effect. It perfectly relaxes and distracts from extraneous thoughts. Most of all, I like candles with the smell of cookies. I recently ordered a whole box of scented candles and glass products on https://www.aussiecandlesupplies.com.au/collections/glassware. I just love this store.

Last edited:

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
regular sex wax and sex wax quick humps are different, no?

i use the purple quick humps most of the time. sometimes a red or blue thin base coat. So. Cal.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wish purple and/or green quick humps maintained the tack of the blue in tropical water. The current 66ish water is making me not love either one (green or purple) on top of my leftover blue beads from a Costa Rican trip I returned from two weeks ago. The blue was great for 4-5 hour sessions.

I’m currently not loving either the purple or green. It’s not affecting my surfing or anything, I just made a mental note how much I loved the feel of the blue in 82 degree water.

It had been three years since I was in tropical water. Most of travel nowadays is to Portugal for work. I’m fortunate to be able to surf on work trips, but I had missed shedding a wettie.

Reactions: MathDebater

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Got a couple of free bars from Jack's in Huntington this past Sunday (and 30% off my daughter's new 4/3) due to several mistakes the shop rats made putting wrong items on hold and our having to run to three of their locations to get the correct suit we supposedly had on hold.

I tried the wax for the first time this a.m. and I was pretty impressed compared to my current purple box Sex Wax that I've been using the past few weeks. The FCS (cool) wax went on without shredding on top of my established beads and remained a respectable amount of tack throughout the the hour and a half session. It's definitely not FU level stick, but noticeably more than the Sex Wax. It's more expensive than normal wax, so I'm not sure my local shop would flow me any. I can't remember the last time I paid for wax, but this was pretty good stuff if I could get a decent deal on it.
does this wax self eject off ur boar like with the fcs2 boxes?