Fcs vs futures

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"Beveled" refers to the leading edge, if a quad rear is 50/50 or 80/20 beveled side fins feel like 95/5. The MF, my go to, are like that too. Couldn't really tell a difference between them and the DHDs by the way.
Did you check out the fcs fin data page yet? JW and JS look like they might fit your bill.

Much like chase and bird my experience with futures has been a PITA, there always seems to be some sort of issue with fitting. I also don't like that the location of the screw requires fins with bigger base to have a cutaway design.

Really wish fcs would calm down with the graphics a bit though and offer some full fiberglass options.
JW and JS are a bit too small. Or the JS are but the rake looks good. JW I forget but I crossed those off the list. I have the Khloes and I used them once and was done.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I apologize for inserting facts and science into a thread based solely on opinion and lack of objectivity.

Apparently this killed the thread as Futures is objectively a superior system.

By the way, I particularly liked when he just pulled the FCS-II fin out with just 14 pounds of pressure. Explains all those orphaned fins out there.

Aug 9, 2015
Long time lurker. From the great white north where Hump used to surf. I’ll chime in. Fcs2 fan. Maybe Futures is stronger but when literally every board has at least one loose box that requires tapping the fin every single time you switch fins so it’s tight, or a tight box that is a pain in the ass I’ll take fcs2.

Loosing fins is a dumb point because I just put one screw in exactly like futures. The difference is the screw plus the spring provides side to side pressure. No wobble.

Every futures board. Big shapers. Hand shapers. Official futures fins. Other brand fins. Side to side wobble in at least one box.
Switched to fcs2 a few years ago. Happy.

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Aug 9, 2015
I’ll add that it would be a super easy fix for futures that would require a small adjustment to the box. Instead of the screw being parallel to the fin put it just a few millimeters over at a 45 degree angle so it provides both side to side and forward back pressure at the same time.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was an early adopter of FCS2. Within my first couple sessions I had a fin eject. Total pain in the butt to get a replacement fin and the one they sent had a botched foil. Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure so I went to Futures and never really looked back. Much more options and better construction IMO. Rarely have had any issues with ill fit or wobble over the 50+ boards I've had since then.

I do still think Futures need to make a box with a bigger footprint for twin fins. Too much torque means they crack around the box eventually which is a pain in the butt to fix.

I still have a small quiver of FCS2 fins for the occasional used YOLO that happens to have that system. They're fine so far. I like the MF Twins and the H4 quads. I usually run a grub screw but when I'm dialing in fins I don't bother and I've yet to have another one pop out on me. I have a friend who lost 3 fins in one trip and he was not so happy.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
strongest removable fin box ever was the RedX design
They just didn't have any fin selection
making an FCS adapter for RedX boxes would have been the t*ts
especially if it came in adjustable cant options like Hanalei boxes
Cut my palms twice the first time using FCS2s until I learned better

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Apparently this killed the thread as Futures is objectively a superior system.
It's why it's such a shame they can't get their quality control (or install quality control?) up to speed.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
4-5 years ago switched to futures due to reputation and fin selection. but yeah wtf is up with their QC? Some boxes are like a hot dog in a hallway and others are so tight you don't even need a grub screw

• Haha
Reactions: Hazrus and Havoc

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
4-5 years ago switched to futures due to reputation and fin selection. but yeah wtf is up with their QC? Some boxes are like a hot dog in a hallway and others are so tight you don't even need a grub screw
So... please don't quote me on this, but I've heard it comes down to how 'hot' the resin goes off. If it's too hot, it causes the box to shrink in a bit. With that said, a little wax on the side of the fins goes a LONG way. I've had it in 3 boards where it was tough to get fins in. I've never had a loose fin, however. Not sure if that's a thing :shrug:

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I like Futures and 99% of my boards are that box. Ive also never had a loose one although yes have had some more snug ones. New board being made is the fancy FCS ones because shaper recommended for fin choice.

Aug 9, 2015
I'm not sure how people have never had a loose wobbly side to side fin with futures. Literally every board I've ever had with futures had at least one box like that. I've had friends say that's not a thing then most of the time I jiggle their fins and at least one rocks side to side. Some tape snugs them right up, but it is a pain in the ass. They need a very subtle redesign of the box and problem solved.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I'm not sure how people have never had a loose wobbly side to side fin with futures. Literally every board I've ever had with futures had at least one box like that. I've had friends say that's not a thing then most of the time I jiggle their fins and at least one rocks side to side. Some tape snugs them right up, but it is a pain in the ass. They need a very subtle redesign of the box and problem solved.
and what would be a "Subtle Redesign"?

Aug 9, 2015
I said it in post 24 and will say it again here...
I’ll add that it would be a super easy fix for futures that would require a small adjustment to the box. Instead of the screw being parallel to the fin put it just a few millimeters over at a 45 degree angle so it provides both side to side and forward back pressure at the same time. It would work with current fins just fine, even better would be to have newer fins have a small indentation/flat spot at that same 45 degree angle where the screw meets it. Everything else could stay the same. Just eyeballing it sure seems like that would work, but perhaps not. Updated box that is still compatible with everything from the past. That keeps it one grub screw. Or if that won't work add an optional grub screw from the side. But, oh no, 2 screws.

Reactions: claw87

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I said it in post 24 and will say it again here...
I’ll add that it would be a super easy fix for futures that would require a small adjustment to the box. Instead of the screw being parallel to the fin put it just a few millimeters over at a 45 degree angle so it provides both side to side and forward back pressure at the same time. It would work with current fins just fine, even better would be to have newer fins have a small indentation/flat spot at that same 45 degree angle where the screw meets it. Everything else could stay the same. Just eyeballing it sure seems like that would work, but perhaps not. Updated box that is still compatible with everything from the past. That keeps it one grub screw. Or if that won't work add an optional grub screw from the side. But, oh no, 2 screws.
You should design and make a few sets to test. Do you think the guys at Future have thought of this and ignored the easy fix or...?

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
How are fcs still going after creating a fin ejecting box which you need to make a fin puller for, so you don't screw your hands up getting them out?
Had boards with futures, fcs 1, fusion & 2, lokbox, even speedfins. Only fcs2 has caused me grief.

Reactions: sdsrfr and JDJ