Fcs vs futures

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ya, exactly!

i keep a file and packing tape to make that chit fit yoz
Take tight fit over loose any day just takes patience wd40 non drip and a mallet :shrug:

Reactions: sh3

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I use mostly large mericks thrusters and CC twins, so I have a set in both Fcs2 and Futures. Keeps me agnostic. It’s only quads that complicate things!

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Take tight fit over loose any day just takes patience wd40 non drip and a mallet :shrug:
You bring wd40 and a mallet on surf trips?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You bring wd40 and a mallet on surf trips?
Have not been in about 4 years but I was talking about virgin run with future fins before first surf. I leave fins in at home on almost all my boards unless back up or on shelf. Surf trip may pre lube and would use beach towell and maybe wood stick etc. Most my bords have fcs for travel.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yeh a little wax on the fin base if needed. Or if you want to get fancy some lube. I cant say i've ever had trouble getting a fin in or out. And certainly never injured myself doing it. You guys crack me up.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
As kooky as it is, the fin puller really does work wonders for way-too-tight Futures boxes.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I have preferred futures due to the solid base of the fin connected to the board. I also preferred that they were American made. I also prefer the MB2 fin in Futures over all other trifin templates.

But I mainly buy used boards off of guys who get customs. One guy only gets fcs2 on his customs. So I have been trying the fcs2 plugs with a FCS Performer larges and GG's largest thruster set (which is not that large). I thought I had found the old fiberglass DHD large at Catalyst but they are out. So I am not happy with their fin selection in the base and height and material that I want.

I don't trust the idea of no screws, so I screw the fins in every time.

In theory I can see why Greg Griffin (RIP) saw the FCS base as an advantage due to the greater customization he could utilize with the old fins have a 1/4" of adjustment forward and aft.

I have asked Retodd and a trust surfboard counselor about FCS fins. But the old dhd larges were the goldilocks.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
The only time I've really struggled to get Futures in is when there's a bunch of dust from the sander sitting in the box -- out of sight -- under that rear nub. Otherwise wax and some fugging-with gets it done.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
First time I got an FCS-II board, it lost a fin.
If I had to guess, about 40 boards have passed through my house with FCSII boxes between myself and my three kids. We've lost a grand total of 2 fins.

We've also had fins break off without wrecking the board as they should. In one case my oldest ended up at the hospital with what could easily have been a life threatening stab wound deep into his thigh from a fin and the box didn't even have a crack.

Last fall I got worked into the bottom duckdiving a top to bottom wave and when I popped up I checked my board worried I might have buckled it and I found one fin that had nearly ejected and was hanging by a thread. Having had that happen my theory is that many ejections happen when you get pushed backwards on the inside and the fins contact the bottom.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Similar as FCS2, but the question really is, why did FCS2 basically take a step backwards from Fusion, where you could move the fins around some and all you needed was a fin key/hex driver?
Was it to counter the counterfeits by putting a patent on the FCS II's?. Fusion boxes as opposed to the II's were Griffins choice were they not? I liked the Fusion boxes. Still Dick Van Straalen's boxes of choice in his boards.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Was it to counter the counterfeits by putting a patent on the FCS II's?. Fusion boxes as opposed to the II's were Griffins choice were they not? I liked the Fusion boxes. Still Dick Van Straalen's boxes of choice in his boards.
I think it was to sell everyone newer fins? Griff liked the fusion ability to move the placement about.