Fcs vs futures

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
No fin puller needed.

Your changing pancho will work just fine :monkey:
Another reason I made the fin puller was that when you are pulling the fin by hand you are also effectively pulling the back of the box out of the board, until it releases (yet another poor design element). My fin puller negates that by pressing down on the back of the box as it presses up on the fin - it calms my worried mind if nothing else!

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Futures stronger. Futures doesn't eject fins. Better selection in Futures. Loose box issue last seen in one of my boards 20 years ago. Sell almost exclusively Futures, thousands of boards sold, very very few issues. If we sold more FCS the same would probably be true.

I've always wondered if biggest manufacturers had negotiated incentive to use FCS2? Also combined with rider fin sponsor? Colapinto changed other contracts too. Did he consider changing board brand as well? Probably not but possible. FW going for more profit with own fin brand. Others too? There is business in the business.

Look for a new fin box coming out soon from a different fin company.

Reactions: JDJ and sdsrfr

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I use both have more fcs boards but always:
High quality glass jobs
Grub screws with fcs II
True Ames or Fins Unlimited fiberglass fins only

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
At some point you get so invested and dialed on fins with one system it is hard to want to take a chance on another. I also don't believe 1 set made for the board works the best for everybody. Just too many variables. I like having a neutral box where I can play with Cant angle also if I want.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i use the system with fins in mind. ci large are smaller for fcs2 and are the best gam set for me compared to futures. same with the power twin fin if u want to run in a twin, only fcs2 has those.

futures for all else.

they all are mediocre systems at best. futures same tech and box from the 90'z. never improved. great fins tho

Reactions: Aruka

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Futures vs FCS2?

I was very heavily polarised towards futures for ages, but a couple of years ago I got some boards in FCS2 (used).

I still prefer futures, but the FCS2 ones are just fine.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Most of my boards are FCS2 but I picked up two boards a few years ago that are
Futures. As far as fit and finish goes, FCS2 for sure. I have had to fiddle with some of the futures fins to get a proper seating in the box. That’s never been the case with FCS. Had one Futures Stretch S1 Front fin that wouldn’t stay locked down in the rear of the box even though it was engaged properly in the notch. Other fins (True Ames) required some sanding
to get them in the boxes.
I’ve lost one FCS2 fin after I kicked it out of the box while getting thrashed after a close
out but the box was unscathed. I now use grub screws in the rear screw placement on all my FCS2 boxes.
I’ve also completely blown out a Futures box with fin after getting bounced off the bottom while duck diving thumpy shore pound.

Reactions: JDJ and jkb

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
So if the fins are too tight so they don't wiggle around and have a secure fin to board connection with no loss of power/input at any turn, then they suck? But if they're just a hair loose, then they suck?

This porridge better be f*cking just right. I don't want any of that too hot or too cold bull-sh!t.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
So if the fins are too tight so they don't wiggle around and have a secure fin to board connection with no loss of power/input at any turn, then they suck? But if they're just a hair loose, then they suck?

This porridge better be f*cking just right. I don't want any of that too hot or too cold bull-sh!t.
FCSII fins fit right every time :shrug:

Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
First time I got an FCS-II board, it lost a fin.

It's all personal preference. I prefer the security of the back being locked in and the front being screwed down. That's just me.
I hear that, and would probably adjust my quiver over to full Futures if it wasn't for how annoying the one Futures board in my quiver is. Well, that and all the FCS fins I have laying around. :shaka:

Reactions: sh3

Havoc

May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

ya, exactly!

i keep a file and packing tape to make that chit fit yoz

Reactions: SD_Dan