Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Futures

Votes: 36 70.6%

• Total voters

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Hmmm, that fin test was a little weird. When he tested the fins with them glassed in, the futures pulled out but the FCS broke the foam in half, and then he was like well it only took whatever pounds and said futures was more. Note sure.

I used to be firmly in the FCS2 camp because I preferred the fin options and wasn't a fan of the future lineup and I thought the aftermarket futures were kind of meh.

But now I feel like the FCS lineup is lagging and they all but stopped making fiberglass fins which I really like. So now I'm kind of half and a half and OTR YOLOs kind of just makes the situation worse. Now the futures lineup seems a bit stronger and there are lots of good aftermarket options. Also twin fins = futures always and forever.

The moral of the story is that I no longer care about fin boxes and now have three drawers worth of fins...

Also, FCS should allow aftermarket fin producers to make FCS2 fin bases. It would be better for their ecosystem rather than try and lock people into proprietary boxes and fins.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hmmm, that fin test was a little weird. When he tested the fins with them glassed in, the futures pulled out but the FCS broke the foam in half, and then he was like well it only took whatever pounds and said futures was more. Note sure.

I used to be firmly in the FCS2 camp because I preferred the fin options and wasn't a fan of the future lineup and I thought the aftermarket futures were kind of meh.

But now I feel like the FCS lineup is lagging and they all but stopped making fiberglass fins which I really like. So now I'm kind of half and a half and OTR YOLOs kind of just makes the situation worse. Now the futures lineup seems a bit stronger and there are lots of good aftermarket options. Also twin fins = futures always and forever.

The moral of the story is that I no longer care about fin boxes and now have three drawers worth of fins...

Also, FCS should allow aftermarket fin producers to make FCS2 fin bases. It would be better for their ecosystem rather than try and lock people into proprietary boxes and fins.
Stick to two tabs and grubs Fins Unlimited and True Ames still makes some nice fiberglass fins :shrug:

Reactions: Shacks

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Lost, album***(?) and almost any other mass produced boards with 4/4 4 glass jobs :shrug:
No real reason to assume mass production is inferior. I can easily imagine a small local shaper partaking of the leaf too much during a box installation and botching it.

Have you seen the Thunderbolt promo video? It makes my man-nipples hard every time I watch it.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
I really liked that video, however I can't read the comments here and say nothing.

If fins took the energy of all the forces created out of a bottom turn or hack, even a skinny dude like me would be blowing boxes. 155 lbs going at even 5mph then suddenly stopping creates a lot of force.
Almost all of the energy applied is transformed into something else (noise, heat,) and transferred into the water (spray, rooster rails or whatever).

Sorry if I got carried away :poke:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
No real reason to assume mass production is inferior. I can easily imagine a small local shaper partaking of the leaf too much during a box installation and botching it.

Have you seen the Thunderbolt promo video? It makes my man-nipples hard every time I watch it.

I said almost any and have not gone to local legendary shaper since glass on's but sure happens all walks speacially back yard shaper/glasser.
Regardless what turd construction comes out sweat shop for the $$$ can not even compare with quality of xtr, varial, and CFT and DFT:shaka:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I really liked that video, however I can't read the comments here and say nothing.

If fins took the energy of all the forces created out of a bottom turn or hack, even a skinny dude like me would be blowing boxes. 155 lbs going at even 5mph then suddenly stopping creates a lot of force.
Almost all of the energy applied is transformed into something else (noise, heat,) and transferred into the water (spray, rooster rails or whatever).

Sorry if I got carried away :poke:
Coil has solid glass jobs last time I heard great to hear from you @Ivanmeister :cheers:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I chose fcsii. LIke gromsdad I started using fcs a long long time ago and so have the fins. Also I make my own boards and the install kit for futures cost more than twice as much. I've never had a fcsii fail so for me the better question is how much do the systems weigh?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
My thoughts:

Best box: probably FCS2. I've had slightly less issues with them over the years.
Best fins: Futures (including aftermarket).

For thrusters, either system is fine for me. For twin fins, I feel FCS2 box is stronger. It's just a pity that the twin fin options are far more limited compared with futures bases. Pizza box stains + Futures FTW there unfortunately.

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater