Fcs vs future 2021

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ordering 4 new boards of various types, who is making better boxes these days? I can find good fins from either, I'm sure, but would you suggest I get future or fcs boxes? Been a while since I've ordered customs, always used to get futures, just want whatever is less likely(within reason) to blow out when I accidentally kick a fin falling or ride it into a rock. Will be a twin, two thrusters, and five box, if that matters.

Ordering 4 new boards of various types, who is making better boxes these days? I can find good fins from either, I'm sure, but would you suggest I get future or fcs boxes? Been a while since I've ordered customs, always used to get futures, just want whatever is less likely(within reason) to blow out when I accidentally kick a fin falling or ride it into a rock. Will be a twin, two thrusters, and five box, if that matters.
futures

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I only have one board with FCS2 (given to me by a friend), all the other ones I have currently are futures. The futures fins (and sometimes boxes) are cheaper with wider variety but honestly, I like the FCS2 system better. Easier fin swap and fin box install and interface seems more solid. Also, I feel like it makes more sense to have the cant built into the fin box instead of the fin. But yes, if you have a bunch of fins in futures, get futures. The fin system isn't make or break in most cases.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Buying all new fins too, so that's a consideration. I like the look of those MR fcs twins for a Doc '82 twin. Maybe with a little bump of a stabilizer.

Reactions: JDJ

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
My one suggestion is on your 5 fin box boar don’t get Futures. A few years back I got a handful of boars with 5 boxes. Wade Tokoro told me that many Future boxes will affect tail flex. I told him I won’t be able to tell the difference. He replied you surf good enough to feel it. His brother Kerry flat out refused to put 5 Futures boxes in a boar he made me. Been surfing FCS ever since. Fusion now the 2’s.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Thanks teeroi, and HSY. Good info that has me thinking. Since people are sharing details, details will matter, so.. boards are:
5'11 Chilli Hot Knife, getting three fins. Mundus has me thinking glass ons there. For smallish to medium sized waves that aren't very bowly or steep.
5'11 Chilli Rarest bird, five boxes and fcs if Tokoro says that strongly. For hollow waves from as small as they break to as big as I'm comfortable riding them.
5'9 Surf Prescriptions '82 twin, squashed down dims, getting three boxes but only so the third can either have a stabilizer sometimes...maybe should just get two boxes...for fun days. You know what twin fins are for.
6'3 meyhem Driver2, thruster. Not decided yet. For perfect days, when you don't need the board to do any of the work.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I used to be an all-futures guy, but I am now about 50% FCS2 because I buy the majority of my boards 2nd hand off Gumtree. I think both are fine; there are good fins available for both systems and the boxes hold up over time in my experience. If I could choose custom, I'd probably go Futures because I've got a better Futures fin quiver.

My hot tip: don't trust the FCS2 box to keep your fins in there without a grub screw at the back.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I used to be an all-futures guy, but I am now about 50% FCS2 because I buy the majority of my boards 2nd hand off Gumtree. I think both are fine; there are good fins available for both systems and the boxes hold up over time in my experience. If I could choose custom, I'd probably go Futures because I've got a better Futures fin quiver.

My hot tip: don't trust the FCS2 box to keep your fins in there without a grub screw at the back.
same, didn't like the original fcs but the newer system is all good. thankfully haven't lost a fin yet

Reactions: Hazrus

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
The Futures system is the better system with higher quality fins.

But FCS has a better variety of fins with lower quality.
used to think the same, to be honest I don't notice a difference up and riding. part of it must be futurds actually made in the US where they have tighter QC. FCS made in Choyna somewhere. bought a brand new set of performers last black monday for 30% off. the brand new fin had a bunch of nicks and pinholes in one of the tabs, also in that same fin carbon didn't go entirely around the entire base :foreheadslap:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005

My friend was at Colorados in Nica and lost a side fin on his first or second wave of the trip lol. He does grub screws now
I'll try and find the picture of him going over the falls it is hilarious

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
used to think the same, to be honest I don't notice a difference up and riding. part of it must be futurds actually made in the US where they have tighter QC. FCS made in Choyna somewhere. bought a brand new set of performers last black monday for 30% off. the brand new fin had a bunch of nicks and pinholes in one of the tabs, also in that same fin carbon didn't go entirely around the entire base :foreheadslap:
Up and riding me neither.

But a few years back I tried to go FCS2 and the biggest deterrent was how garbage some of the fins were (they seemed to vary in quality).

A scrape on a rock and the edges would pretty much explode.

I also had a FCS2 fin that didn't sit right in the box, I called FCS to request a new one and the guy on the phone made an issue of it, then had a brief meltdown and said "LOOK BUDDY, WHAT DO YOU WANT!!!???"

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I find both boxes to be absolutely fine. Pros and cons for either system.

Truth be told, I break more future fin boxes than FCS but that might have nothing to do with the box itself.

The more important question is what kind of fins do you like? I find FCS to generally have a much better thruster collection. Futures are much better for quad setups.

I used to be an all FCS guy but I've come around on Futures and have fin sets I like for both systems. I also have an entire drawer full of fins :/

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Fcs2 + Greg griffins custom fins = winning
Or you need to search for the older fiberglass ones. The current fcs2 foil is pure garbage. Thick blobby and wavy foil on the sides . Center fibs are even worse and stiffer than the sides

Otr fins I have better luck with futures . More fiberglass fins from true ames and capitan plus futures beand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Futures with FCS X2 (the little circle original plugs) for quad rears.

But for me, all new customs from here on out will have glass-ons.