FCS H4

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
the bottom of that varial looks pristine, just deck dents?
One of the benefits of Varial is that you can heat-gun out dents pretty easily, but the downside is how easily it dents in the first place. I had multiple fingertip dents on the bottom side of the rails from duckdiving which is pretty ridiculous IMO. Aside from those really shallow and barely noticeable dime-sized dents from my fingers, I had one or two quarter-sized ones I took out on the bottom, but I've avoided any of the weight-bearing areas on the deck, mostly because I like foot wells. I will give Varial some props that it still has all of its pop after 13 months of being ridden almost every day it's rideable at my local spot. In comparison, I'd usually have to get rid of of my PU's after about 6-9 months as many would start to lose their spark and I would stop getting any feedback from the board and it just feel kind of dead.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
@ChaseTMP really interesting feedback. I have a front foot-heavy style and surf mostly rights on my FS. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of mediums I saw at the shop, but not sure now.
Board-feel is so subjective, I would still encourage you to give them a shot as they could be magic with your board, the waves you're surfing, how you surf/generate speed etc. Hopefully some shops will have some demo sets available.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
interesting, i have only surfed a backside reef with mine, and thought they felt pretty good, i did notice a skipping sensation every now and then, and sometimes the opposite, like the fin feels bigger than it is. Ive had it in my cymatic as my other boards have futures and haven't been able to try them more than twice now

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I didn't put the H4 center in, but these should give an idea about the cant
Thanks for the photos, those two look similar. I think the MF has slight extra cant than average as well. Maybe try with the larger center, probably not what you are after but you never know.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Kinda meh in my quiver killer but it could’ve been the waves. Fins felt too big and seemed to want ur foot right on top with pressure else felt stiff n slow. Couple they felt loose and had some spark. Maybe the med would be better in that board. I think the large would workin wider tailed gravel boars. Lemme know if anyone wants to trade med h4 for my large pair. Oh and the fins are fkn sharp. Swiss engineering.

and yeah couldn’t get them to go Fs. Only backside. Weird assss fin.
But what do I know I’m a kook.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilly1

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Kinda meh in my quiver killer but it could’ve been the waves. Fins felt too big and seemed to want ur foot right on top with pressure else felt stiff n slow. Couple they felt loose and had some spark. Maybe the med would be better in that board. I think the large would workin wider tailed gravel boars. Lemme know if anyone wants to trade med h4 for my large pair. Oh and the fins are fkn sharp. Swiss engineering.

and yeah couldn’t get them to go Fs. Only backside. Weird assss fin.
But what do I know I’m a kook.
Maybe you just need to push a little harder? Only joking! Sounds like too much fin for the pulled in ish QK tail. I have never seen H4 in person but maybe was too much stiffening rake, QK even with RP tail has still pretty low rocker. I don't know what you usually run in that but I think QK needs smaller but still pivoty fins that average (really no idea Ihave a QK with unlocked fin mystery going on). Are you gonna throw them on a wide tail groveler?

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Maybe you just need to push a little harder? Only joking! Sounds like too much fin for the pulled in ish QK tail. I have never seen H4 in person but maybe was too much stiffening rake, QK even with RP tail has still pretty low rocker. I don't know what you usually run in that but I think QK needs smaller but still pivoty fins that average (really no idea Ihave a QK with unlocked fin mystery going on). Are you gonna throw them on a wide tail groveler?
yeah I’ll try them in my ss2. They’d prly go well in the fling but mine is futures. I shudve gotten the mayhems for the qk instead or some reactors. Qk does everything well except down the line speed and I think it’s a fin issue.

sdsfr I’m 170 lbs but may have lost a few lbs since been surging a ton lately. Lots of south swell up here these days

Reactions: chilly1 and sdsrfr