Favorite Twin + Trailer setup for larger waves?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I got a set of these a few weeks ago: https://shaperssurf.com/copy-of-twuster-2-1-set/

I got them for small wave boards like the CI Ultra Joe but I also tried them in my 6-6 Album Bpunt which is designed as a twin+trailer and they felt good for that as well. Compared to most twin+trailer sets they have smaller and more upright fronts with a bigger rear. They truly do feel like a middle ground between a thruster and twin+trailer. Kind of like an oversized K2.1 set.
Awesome, they look super cool. I might grab a set. Cheers for that

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
@Sam_K what board? Posting a shot of the bottom might help to gauge how boxes are placed. My experience with twin plus trailers are mostly groveler/dd boards. I like them a lot in those. The twins I use in larger waves with a pulled in tail don't have a third box and work well but i'm not taking off in something super critical with them. I use them to get in a little early before the wave stands up and I already have a line. If its something really critical and pitching out the gate I'm probably on a thruster with a pin like my ghost. Are you just looking for more stability?
I'm just looking for a bit more speed and to spice things up a bit when waves are large, but not necessarily critical.

The thing is I don't really know exactly which boards yet. I'm looking at a Patterson Twinner, a Mini Ghost, an Astro Pop, my Insanity, etc.

There is a somewhat limited selection of fins in Indo so when I go back to the states I want to stock up. I'm looking for suggestions so I can buy a few sets, bring 'em back and have a go.

Reactions: MathDebater

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I've had good success with the Merrick twin + trailer set in boards with a more "thruster" like fin cluster placing. I've also had success with the T1's (with trailer) in double-overhead+ surf on one particular board.

Honestly, though, for bigger waves, I think thrusters or quads are the best choice 99%+ of the time.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
If you have a number of twin sets already than I would say just grab a few different sized trailers to play around with. If there is twin sets you already like than you can just take a few trailers with you and start small switching them out til you get what your looking for. I would dial the fronts in first if your boxes are placed as a twin, than experiment with the stabilizer after to get what your looking for. This is what Akila suggested to me and I learned a good bit from experimenting this way.

For what its worth though, my two favorite twin+trailer setups are the Aipa glass fronts w/NVS trailer (twin placed boxes) https://www.surfnvs.com/products/stabilizer-apex and the Machado twin +trailer setup in a thruster box placement

Both worked well for me in groveler/dd boards in small/average conditions. I run solid Gemini's on my townsend twin in larger surf/no trailer and got a good speed bump from my wider diamond tail versus my smaller round pin while sacrificing a little stability.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Title really says it all. I've got lots of great twins, but it seems harder to find a twin + trailer setup that works for larger waves. Just throwing in a trailer with regular twins often feels too stiff to me.

Could anyone give me a recommendation for your favorite setup? In the market for something...
I had an MR Super Twin that came alive once it got head high. Wish I still had it.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Are you talking FCS? If so, get a plastic trailer...MRTFX or similar and cut the front tab off. Put the remaining tab in the front trailer slot and see if that goes better. then you can whittle one out of some old fibreglass set forward on both tab if you want.

I do this to ride standard thrusters as twin plus trailer. They are too stiff otherwise. The cluster is about an inch forward of the “normal” trad twin/twin + cluster but it is fun as fvck once you get used to it.