Favorite step-up fishy shape

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Just my two cents, I didn't really enjoy the Nautilus so much. Ended up selling mine. The Christenson Osprey looks pretty cool though, and I'm definitely considering a Moonstone at some point.
had an osprey. 7-0 x 21 x 2 3/4. quad. on paper, should have been the jam as a norcal daily step up.

gave it a solid chance. but no. basically its a frye k model. think san diego speed egg. tri plane hull bottom. down rails tip to tail

wide thick nose. carried too much foam forward to function as a proper step up. tracky as a quad. had its moments, just not enough of them

narrow the nose lift the forward rail and set up as tri and youd be on to something. like a different board.

Reactions: Havoc

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Friend 1 has a 7'2
Friend 2 just ordered a 6'8

I would love one in the 6'4-6'8 range .I am sure I can get a few waves on my friends 6'8 to help me decide.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
had an osprey. 7-0 x 21 x 2 3/4. quad. on paper, should have been the jam as a norcal daily step up.

gave it a solid chance. but no. basically its a frye k model. think san diego speed egg. tri plane hull bottom. down rails tip to tail

wide thick nose. carried too much foam forward to function as a proper step up. tracky as a quad. had its moments, just not enough of them

narrow the nose lift the forward rail and set up as tri and youd be on to something. like a different board.
Interesting... I've been mulling over a custom Osprey but maybe it's not what I'm after. I'm not familiar with Frye K, does invoking his name imply a certain design style? The tri plane hull?

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Interesting... I've been mulling over a custom Osprey but maybe it's not what I'm after. I'm not familiar with Frye K, does invoking his name imply a certain design style? The tri plane hull?
google "skip frye k model". lots of info out there. basically his winter speed egg for san diego reefs

from christenson-

This is a streamlined mid-length design inspired by the Skip Frye K model. I was very fortunate to be shaping room neighbors with Skip Frye for 10 years. I owe a lot of my inspiration to the Skipper. I love riding this model when I am too lazy to ride a shortboard but I’m not in the mood to deal with a log. 4 fins, low rails, v and concave bottom contours, this board zips and trims at any break. Also an amazing board to get shacked on at your local beach break when the swell is up and the winds are howling offshore. A great daily driver as well for those that prefer length in their quivers.’

Last edited:
Reactions: urchined

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

I'm certainly not in the same league as you guys for skill set or wave quality but for here, I find the nautilus to be a good board. Mine is 7'0, i'm 210 + up to a 5/4 hooded wetsuit. Our waves tend to be softer. never ridden this in obx but think it would do well. As you see below, mine is set up as a thruster, i tend to like it in anything waist high to OH +. Good thread through, learning a lot. I think often, the nautilus may not be the best board for the conditions, but it is rarely the wrong board. If I have to take one board to the beach, I'm probably taking this is there is any chance of chest + surf.

3F26D6C5-30C4-411A-9A06-61E7E143D6C1.jpeg32B3C5FD-7B69-45E5-84E9-FFEA512418EB.jpeg

Reactions: Aruka and trifish

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The tail is super narrow and thin.

Bought one for it's intended purpose, as a step up for my regular Hypto and ended up selling it. It's more like a standard HPSB with some extra volume up front. From my perspective I'd rather my regular Hypto with the rounded pin. I wish the Hypto step up was like a Hypto just stretched out, but that narrow, thin swallow changes the whole feel of it.

I don't really ride it anymore, but a few years ago I would surf my 5'6 Hypto in overhead hurricane surf no problem. It goes really well in bigger surf. I just got to the point that I wanted more length in my boards.

hypto-krypto step-up