Fav hot sauce's?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I picked this up on a whim. It's hot, but not much else. I'm typically not a big fan of habanero-forward sauces for that reason. I combine a dash with another sauce to bump up the spice and it works.

I picked up the Trader Joes Green Dragon joint on the recommendation of the ERbb ad because I found myself at TJ's more often than ever (I moved within 4 blocks of one and the Safeway across the street sucks). It's ok. Kinda tastes like any average green chile salsa. It might make the tamales my sister in law picked up more edible.

Lack of Abuela-in-law's tamales was the biggest loss of Covid Christmas. That and the no Portos potato balls.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I picked this up on a whim. It's hot, but not much else. I'm typically not a big fan of habanero-forward sauces for that reason. I combine a dash with another sauce to bump up the spice and it works.

I picked up the Trader Joes Green Dragon joint on the recommendation of the ERbb ad because I found myself at TJ's more often than ever (I moved within 4 blocks of one and the Safeway across the street sucks). It's ok. Kinda tastes like any average green chile salsa. It might make the tamales my sister in law picked up more edible.

Lack of Abuela-in-law's tamales was the biggest loss of Covid Christmas. That and the no Portos potato balls.
Hot sauce is meant to be hot but good hot so food still taste good. I use a couple drops but lately been using fresh habenero out of garden. Got to be very careful and cut up good then add to rice.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Anybody have any simple sauce recipes that can be made in a blender or something that don’t require too many steps and ingredients?
from La Ogra....

in a pan, char some tomatoes or tomatillos, serrano or jalapeno, garlic, and a quartered onion

then add a little water, some salt, and blend it all up with a hand mixer or blender

season to taste

I also like to add in cilantro leaf and minced stems and some white pepper...but Ogro will say
that's some bullshit gringo sh!t so YMMV

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
in my never ending search for the perfect spice - I stumbled onto this with the help of a friend. this stuff is delicious. not unbearably hot but the flavor is ridiculous on just about everything ive put on or in.

had to DM them for pricing and shipping.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
I'm no expert, but working on a process that so far has yielded good results. Each batch getting better. Trying to eliminate processed sugar so just using honey and fruits for a bit of sweetness. Super easy to do, just takes a little time. Just finished these this morning and will mail em off to a handful of biz accounts that are into it and friends. Mr Doof, let me know how this round compares to the last.

1. Pick and clean peppers
2. Smoke peppers (ribs optional)
3. Choose ingredients. I like combinations of the salt, the sweet, and the sour. Instead of just table salt, mix in some soy sauce or Bragg's aminos. Instead of just honey add some sweet fruits. Instead of just vinegars, add citrus. Experiment with different vinegars.
4. Add lots of onion and garlic powder. You can use raw too, but the condensed flavor in the powder goes farther.
5. Experiment with spices. Chinese 5 spice makes a quick and easy jerk type flavor. Worcestershire is a secret umami bomb.
6. Bring to low boil for 10 minutes or so.
7. Blend. If you want it thinner, strain. If you want it thicker don't strain.
8. Can for storage and for gifting.

Picked and Cleaned serrano, habanero.jpgsmokin peppers.jpghot sauce ingredients.jpgboiling hot sauce.jpgcanned sauce.jpg

Attachments

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
in my never ending search for the perfect spice - I stumbled onto this with the help of a friend. this stuff is delicious. not unbearably hot but the flavor is ridiculous on just about everything ive put on or in.

had to DM them for pricing and shipping.
Many years ago family would go to High Sierra Music Festival every Summer and got turned on (free samples) to Chico company made bezt habenero lime and two other really good sauces. We kept buying until they went out of business:(

Reactions: CutnSnip

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
This has been at the top of the rotation after we met the owners out in La Jolla one night. Was initially made in the US but it looks like they moved production to Mexico now and upped the sodium content. Still good and natural though.

Reactions: SDCA

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
reconstitute with hot water, add salt, blend, and maybe some garlic powder. Add vinegar, and us a pH tool to get it to 3.4 then put in bottle. I haven't tried fermenting yet but that's another option. Xanthan gum will stabilize it.

Reactions: grapedrink

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
What you don't see is _____________ 's lungs, eyes, throat, sinus leaving his body after they opened the stove door.
That especially happens when I open the blender with the super hot ones. Goggles , respirator and rubber gloves would be nice. :drowning:

Reactions: Mr Doof

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Smokin serranos for hot sauce. Hand sorted through about 100lbs to get only the all red ones.

View attachment 103726
When the serranos turn red that’s what we call sazón and that’s as hot is it’s gonna get which is what you want for your application. Tell me you’re mashing them in a molcajete and not in a blender for extra points.

afoaf is wrong again, my wife learned how to make salsa from me.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
  • 8 oz. water
  • 2 oz. white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. Hawaiian rock salt, ‘alaea salt, or kosher salt
  • 1 clove garlic, smashed
  • 1–3 fresh red chili peppers, preferably Hawaiian (hot)
Boil water. Cool. In a clean glass jar or bottle, add water, vinegar, garlic, salt and chili pepper. Cover and let sit two days in a cool place before using. Store in refrigerator.

like everything hawaiian, the longer you let it sit and "miko" the better
with this you can make pickled maui onion and other pickled stuffs

Hawaiian Chilis only score 50,000 to 70,000 on the Scoville Heat Unit scale
Usually the smaller they are the hotter they are

They were used as corporal punishment in place of a belt when we were kids
no eat your vegetables
you get a hawaiian chili rubbed on your lips and tongue and you stand facing the corner until you eat your vegetables.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I'm no expert, but working on a process that so far has yielded good results. Each batch getting better. Trying to eliminate processed sugar so just using honey and fruits for a bit of sweetness. Super easy to do, just takes a little time. Just finished these this morning and will mail em off to a handful of biz accounts that are into it and friends. Mr Doof, let me know how this round compares to the last.

1. Pick and clean peppers
2. Smoke peppers (ribs optional)
3. Choose ingredients. I like combinations of the salt, the sweet, and the sour. Instead of just table salt, mix in some soy sauce or Bragg's aminos. Instead of just honey add some sweet fruits. Instead of just vinegars, add citrus. Experiment with different vinegars.
4. Add lots of onion and garlic powder. You can use raw too, but the condensed flavor in the powder goes farther.
5. Experiment with spices. Chinese 5 spice makes a quick and easy jerk type flavor. Worcestershire is a secret umami bomb.
6. Bring to low boil for 10 minutes or so.
7. Blend. If you want it thinner, strain. If you want it thicker don't strain.
8. Can for storage and for gifting.

View attachment 103717View attachment 103718View attachment 103719View attachment 103720View attachment 103721
worchestershire...umanai action...YES. maggi is anotehr voodoo ingredient.

Reactions: warble2