Family trip to Oahu in August

DublAK2

OTF status
Jun 18, 2003
NJ
The wife is planning a family trip to Oahu, which means my surfing is not a priority. I'm pretty confident we are headed right to the Honolulu tourist trap which means we will be on the South Shore which is fine for surfing since it's the summer.

I know the spots around Waikiki can get super crowded, but are any spots more doable than others? How about lineup access? I'm intermediate with kook moments. I can paddle and hassle but I'd prefer to keep my sessions mellow. No qualms about stealing the rental car for day break sessions.

Reactions: parkiteric

DublAK2

OTF status
Jun 18, 2003
NJ
correction, not waikiki.

The Southwest side of the island. Is Maili Point or Barber's Point worth looking into for a foreigner?

Feb 4, 2021
Why did you choose Oahu for your family trip? If I understood right, you want to enjoy your holiday and the sun. You said that you'd like to find a less crowded place if it's so, why didn't you choose Florida or another shore state? As for me, during this pandemic time, it's not safe to travel to Hawaii. I've heard that Boca Raton is a very safe place, and all regulations and restrictions according to the COVID-19 are followed. Also, it's closer than the island. And I think that in August there will not be so crowded and you can fully enjoy your holiday! Just think about it.

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
You're going to have a great time. I'm sure there's decent waves somewhere down near where you're staying, maybe arou the corner near Makapuu. Maybe have to drive to Diamondhead. Waikiki is a really fun place to surf. Paddle out wherever you see waves

Reactions: MathDebater

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Tell your wife you are going surfing and she has the kids.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lock your car and rental unit ~ not the best selection in location
Lock your rental unit, take only towel and ZERO valuables to the beach, leave the car open/n/empty.

At least that's how you'd do it here, if you don't want broken glass and your chit disappearing.

:dancing::violin::trout:

May 24, 2020
Oahu is a very beautiful island. Definitely worth a trip there. I have been dreaming about this for a long time, but it has not happened so far. All my travels are limited to business trips and, accordingly, maintaining a travel journal for the boss for the past 5 years. However, this is also good. All the same, I manage to travel outside my city, albeit for work. As for surfing, I'm not sure. I don't like surfing, so I can't give you any advice. However, you can read people's reviews on the Internet about this. I am sure that you will be able to find useful advice on this matter.

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Maili can be fun if you like a mellow left. Paddle out is kinda weird though.
Far, but pretty safe going out with the gap in the reef. Easy to fook up coming in if you paddle in at the wrong place. I would only ever surf there when the NS was maxing out, fun wave but pretty average for HI, probably more fun if goofy. Also probably not worth a drive from town when there's better spots within walking distance

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
just go you'll have great time hit Sandy beach then west side makaha is a special place and one of the most beautiful beaches period .

act accordingly and you won't have any shenanigans and meet some great locals

Mar 12, 2015
Haubush is a Waikiki like wave. Can be fun with lighter winds. On a bigger swell there are better waves around that area if you look around. Tracks can be fun as well.