Family trip - culture + surf - suggestions?

Jan 26, 2017
Netherlands
Hey all, we managed to catch 3 weeks at the beaches of South France (just N of Biarritz) this summer. My kids suddenly went completely surf crazy (especially my daughter). They'd been dabbling here and there for a few years now but since this year they're 100% hooked... :cool:

So, suddenly my wife suggests that we might want to go on another 'big' trip next year, like one we did a while back to Sri Lanka. But now a combination of culture and surf. We're from the Netherlands so I'm thinking outside of the beaten tracks of Europe and not on the other side of the globe i.e. NOT Australia, New Zeeland, Hawaii. Obviously this assumes the COvid situation doesn't explode or suck our bank account dry (and given Covid, I think summer 2022 is most likely).

Indonesia could be super cool but also sounds a bit similar to Sri Lanka, culture wise (I know, I know, they're not the same but would favour LAC to give the kids a completely different experience).
LAC sounds intregueing (but also a bit daunting, seeing my spanish is muy malo).

What are we looking for?
- 2 weeks of culture/ nature/ adventure (including snorkeling)
- 2 weeks of surf (a not too crowded, not too hard core point break anyone?). I'd classify us all as fit intermediates/ weekend warriors.

We've got loads of time to organize this but would love to start mind surfing... Suggestions anyone?

Reactions: the janitor

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yeh my family has a great time in CR when we go. We go often. Great locals/fun surf/good vibes. Water visibility isn't great for snorkeling though I would say but plenty of other things to see.

Reactions: urchined
Jan 26, 2017
Netherlands
Costa Rica was already high on the list and has shot up to #1.
Nicaragua in 2nd place.
I have a colleague from Peru who swears we will have an awesome time.

Senegal is worth knowing more about, def off the beaten track! Thanks for the input everyone!

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Costa Rica was already high on the list and has shot up to #1.
Nicaragua in 2nd place.
I have a colleague from Peru who swears we will have an awesome time.

Senegal is worth knowing more about, def off the beaten track! Thanks for the input everyone!
if actual surfing is your goal Peru is a good choice.
So many spots.

some beaches (like Kon-tiki) always break.

At Chicama everyday is offshore.

Reactions: MV2local
Jan 26, 2017
Netherlands
Bali? Too far?
Not necessarily. My only possible objections are (without ever having been there, so this is all hearsay):
1. discovered and overrun by tourists (also in the line up); I guess this would depend on where you head out to...
2. somewhat similar climate and culture to Sri Lanka (as in not totally different, I expect); note that we've visited SL (and loved it)