Fall Suit/Short arm, long leg wetsuit (SoCal)

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Best deal on this...? Back zip only. I know there are a ton of different ones, but what do you like?

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
An older 3/2 fullsuit always works for me. Sometimes the water gets cold and I hate being cold.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Why no chestzips? The new ones like the O'Neill Hyperfreaks are super stretchy and go on easy. I was always backzip before because with my large shoulders it was almost impossible to get one on. They changed my mind about them.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Have a Rip Curl Dawn Patrol s/s full I picked up this past summer. Cheap, fits good and durable. It's a chest zip but they have a backzip version also. I did trim off the gasket type thing on the end of the sleeves as it annoyed me. Otherwise good little suit.
Tried a Hyperfreak 2mm s/s as Oneill fits me best. It just felt way too thin. Felt like I was gonna tear the damn thing just putting my foot through it.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Thanks for the suggestions...I tried a chest zip once and almost couldn't get out of it...I'm old...yeah, this is just for afternoon surfs...
Thanks,

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thanks for the suggestions...I tried a chest zip once and almost couldn't get out of it...I'm old...yeah, this is just for afternoon surfs...
Thanks,
I almost couldn't get out of every non-back-zip I've ever worn...the first 2-3 times I took it off.

I think the key is, you need to pull the suit down on the torso to kind of tension preload it so it helps pull the neck/chest down. Then, the instant you get both your shoulders nearly free, keep pulling down on the torso of the suit, and then do the salmon swimming upstream jumping rapids and sh!t and you're free.

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Was going to go hyperfreak great suit have 3mm full but patagucci 2mm short sleeve front zip full was nearly 50 bucks cheaper back around Fathers day so I bought the r1. Great design and still plenty flexible only 2mm well built suit. Pros: nice casket zipper only no cinch cord, seams run different nice stitch glue etc, plenty warm for 2mm been wearing at Jalama now.
Cons: dries kinda slow and maybe not most flexible suit but 2mm pretty thin and do not find it restrictive.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I love my all 2 mil long sleeve Comp. Thing is great, no issues with it at all. It's actually warmer than my older 3/2 Comp. I kinda stopped wearing my short sleeve 2 mil Comp in favor of the long sleeve one.

Personally I haven't worn a back zip suit in 20 years. Those Xcel Comps are great for warmer days.

glad you had luck with it. had the long sleeve all two mil....worst fugging suit of all time....and i prefer long sleeve two mils

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have a O'Neill psycho one 3/2, it's great once it's on but it's a battle to get over my shoulders up and down. I think it's because the pull over portion of the neck extends all the way over the other shoulder? Either way, sometimes if I have a bunch of session in a row I actually have a bruise from where the zipper presses into my arm as I take it off.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
An Xcel was the only one I could find that had an XLT in stock and it took months of searching. It's almost as if that size is discontinued; I don't get it. Tried an LT but about an inch or two short - I would be revitalizing the Quasimodo on every wave.

Anyways, I get the hate on the Xcels. No one will ever mistake me for a soccer player; quintessential chicken legs. And still, it is a struggle to get my legs to fit into the lower part of the suit; the only time you need to use the plastic bag trick when the suit is dry. Aside from that, the suit seems fine. New place up north has an unheated pool in winter (I gave the manager the Ralph Drabble glare when pointing out the irony of this) so it looks like I will still get some use out of that suit.

Now, with chest zips, oh screw those. I tried one on once and it resulted in more grunting than a rhinoceros orgy. Brutally hard to get on and off (pun intended).