FACT: Columbus did not discover America.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the Basques were likely also traveling to and from north america
fishing cod just like the norse.

Reactions: $kully

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Why are there any statues of him at all on U.S. soil?

And it's still totally weird that some people used to refer to America, and/or the Americas as Columbia until something like the early 1900s and that we used Columbia, goddess of America as a national symbol for a while.

Reactions: afoaf

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Why are there any statues of him at all on U.S. soil?

And it's still totally weird that some people used to refer to America, and/or the Americas as Columbia until something like the early 1900s and that we used Columbia, goddess of America as a national symbol for a while.

Maybe it was to appease the italians, who were subject to systemic discrimination

• Haha
Reactions: hal9000

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
the Basques were likely also traveling to and from north america
fishing cod just like the norse.
Beat me to it. I remember Bourdain talking with the Basques about that.

Graham Hancock's work is super interesting. He argues that the America's were first inhabited upwards of 60-100k+ years ago. Says there is a tribe in the Amazon with the same genetics as another tribe in Papua New Guinea. That at one time the Amazon was a bustling metropolis, but that the buildings were likely built of wood so they have long since rotten way. Fascinating stuff.

Colombus was a garbage human. Might as well get rid of the holiday, since it isn't a paid holiday for the majority of us anyway.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
And the forbidden aspect of all this is the American Indians that were here when the white man arrived were simply an earlier wave of immigrants that came, saw, conquered, enslaved, slaughtered and committed genocide until they achieved dominance. Then held that dominance with ruthless warfare and the seizing of hunting grounds and slaves.

Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Beat me to it. I remember Bourdain talking with the Basques about that.

Graham Hancock's work is super interesting. He argues that the America's were first inhabited upwards of 60-100k+ years ago. Says there is a tribe in the Amazon with the same genetics as another tribe in Papua New Guinea. That at one time the Amazon was a bustling metropolis, but that the buildings were likely built of wood so they have long since rotten way. Fascinating stuff.

Colombus was a garbage human. Might as well get rid of the holiday, since it isn't a paid holiday for the majority of us anyway.
Kon Tiki implies that people came west from eurafrica to SA and then onward via
prevailing westerly currents to the south pacific island chains.

humans were also pushing east from Oceania

Charles Mann's 1490 and 1492 talk a lot about the fact that there was widespread
permaculture in north, central, and south america managed by both migratory
populations (like the monarchs oscillating between the great lakes and mexico)
as well as stationary populations with large complexes in the amazon which, as
you mention, were overgrown and lost to time.

LiDAR reveals a lot of interesting examples of terra forming

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
And the forbidden aspect of all this is the American Indians that were here when the white man arrived were simply an earlier wave of immigrants that came, saw, conquered, enslaved, slaughtered and committed genocide until they achieved dominance. Then held that dominance with ruthless warfare and the seizing of hunting grounds and slaves.
The dirty little secret among progressives is that the Native American tribes hated each other, and fought bitter tribal warfare.

Whitey showed up and very skillfully made alliances and played the tribes against each other. Divide and conquer is a winning strategy as old as humanity.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The dirty little secret among progressives is that the Native American tribes hated each other, and fought bitter tribal warfare.

Whitey showed up and very skillfully made alliances and played the tribes against each other. Divide and conquer is a winning strategy as old as humanity.
Gun powder isn’t as old as humanity but it was definitely the deciding factor. Thanks China!

Reactions: Driftcoast

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

I was watching a movie with modern day Native Americans in it on Amazon prime a few months back, can't recall the name. At the very beginning, there was some wordage across the screen that said something to the tune of, "Sexual violence was unheard of/non-existent before the arrival of Europeans".

I'm like, yeah, ok.