ExxonMobil’s global warming projections......

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hump

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Are we really being serious when we are talking about one degree?
It amazes me that there are adults who still don't know how to use Google search in 2023.

These tenths of a degree are a big deal because the temperatures represent a global average of warming. Some parts of the world, especially land mass and northern latitudes like the Arctic have already warmed more than the 1.1 Celsius average and have far surpassed 1.5 Celsius, according to estimates.

It’s helpful to look at temperatures like a bell curve, rather than just the average which doesn’t reveal “hidden extremes,” said Princeton University climate scientist Gabe Vecchi.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
the problem is that surface temperature stations are not the ONLY source of global temperature data.

they use satellites and sea surface measurements....you know...the thing that makes up 71% of the earth's surface...

they also correct for the known bias in the surface readings relative to known proximate heat sources

(source: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2012JD018509)

you linked an article from Breitbart. your arguments are always premised on the absolute most biased and garbage sources.

pull your head out of your ass and take a temperature reading, squidliar!

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
The global warming theory: Industrialization and carbon over the last 100 years are causing a rise in temperatures. It establishes a cause-leading-effect relationship. Carbon is the cause, and temperature is the effect.

Question: Why is it that ice cores show that carbon changes precede temperature changes by about 800 years?

The 800 year lag in CO2 after temperature – graphed

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 1990’s the classic Vostok ice core graph showed temperature and carbon in lock step moving at the same time. It made sense to worry that carbon dioxide did influence temperature. But by 2003 new data came in and it was clear that carbon lagged behind temperature. The link was back to front. Temperatures appear to control carbon, and while it’s possible that carbon also influences temperature these ice cores don’t show much evidence of that. After temperatures rise, on average it takes 800 years before carbon starts to move. The extraordinary thing is that the lag is well accepted by climatologists, yet virtually unknown outside these circles. The fact that temperature leads is not controversial. It’s relevance is debated.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1,000-to-800 years ago was the medieval warming period, you know, when Eric The Red colonized Greenland?

• Haha

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
whether you agree that climate change is a thing or not, what's the fuss over?
How have any of these talking points or resulting policies had any effect on your life?

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

We must use this thoroughly debunked theory to put a jack boot on the necks of people who want to make advancements in our lifestyles! Why should they prosper while I lead a miserable resentful life?

We must force people to buy cars which can't be seen out of and cars which won't drive more than 180 miles before we have to charge them for four hours. Peasant Africans must have to suffer and die in mines for $2 per day. The list goes on and on......

My moral superiority MUST be assuaged."

Last edited:

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

We must use this thoroughly debunked theory to put a jack boot on the necks of people who want to make advancements in our lifestyles! Why should they prosper while I lead a miserable resentful life?"

I won't be able to buy a car which takes me more than 180 miles before I have to charge it for four hours. Peasant Africans will have to suffer and die in mines for $2 per day. The list goes on and on........
Wut?
What are you unable to do or buy b/c of climate science?

Reactions: afoaf

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Did he say he was unable to do or buy something because of climate science?
Not directly, he responded to my question with something about needing to charge a car

'
How have any of these talking points or resulting policies had any effect on your life?'

Reactions: afoaf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
How have any of these talking points or resulting policies had any effect on your life?
for me, it has had the effect of causing me to consider my footprint

I try to ride my bike for most of my local errands

I have spent the last 5 years slowly winnowing down my use of single-use plastics...I avoid CPG, I cut out saran wrap, plastic bags (sandwich, grocery, produce - all reusable or [recycled] paper based replacements).

logistical implications of the products I purchase has become a big one...water, specifically. I don't use liquid laundry detergent, liquid soaps, and I don't buy water (in plastic). shipping water-based products around the planet is fkn retarded on so many levels

I grow some of my own food at home and compost everything I possibly can to reduce my outgoing waste.

source of materials and location of manufacturing is also important to me. I mostly just avoid buying ANYTHING...I like to upcycle/recycle/buy used if I do have to purchase something...and if I do, I really try my reasonable best to buy things that come from anywhere but china (orthogonal) and, preferably, are made in the NAFTA region.

I still take my private jet all over the globe so maybe it's a wash....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not directly, he responded to my question with something about needing to charge a car

'
How have any of these talking points or resulting policies had any effect on your life?'
I've explained this here before, ad nauseum, and even posted writings with technical details from experts in fossil fuels and renewables.

Civilizations flourish on cheap, reliable energy.

In fact it is the only way they flourish.

In the modern world the cheap reliable energy that exists = fossil fuels.

Whether we like it or not.

Government policy is moving us in the direction of increasing the scarcity of FFs, yet the world will still be relying on FFs, by necessity, for the overwhelming majority of energy needs.

Thus, energy will continue to become more expensive. High energy costs are bad for running civilizations, not to mention stifle innovation.

These higher energy costs lead to a decline in standard of living, increased social unrest, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Wut?
What are you unable to do or buy b/c of climate science?
Soon you won't be able to buy a gasoline car or a gas stove

Currently, you'll be forced to spend more on everything due to California's insane truck policy that just went into effect

If you buy a new house in CA, you're forced into a solar contract

If you try and do any modifications to a car that's post-1974, including modifications that will make it burn cleaner, you'll not be able to register it in CA because of climate science

Those are a few examples, but the list goes on and on as your bank account is subject to death by a thousand cuts with the indulgences pledged in the name of Mother Gaia

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Soon you won't be able to buy a gasoline car or a gas stove

Currently, you'll be forced to spend more on everything due to California's insane truck policy that just went into effect

If you buy a new house in CA, you're forced into a solar contract

If you try and do any modifications to a car that's post-1974, including modifications that will make it burn cleaner, you'll not be able to register it in CA because of climate science

Those are a few examples, but the list goes on and on as your bank account is subject to death by a thousand cuts with the indulgences pledged in the name of Mother Gaia
Seems like something Californian's can solve through referendum's no?

I dont have these issues in the free state of New York