Explanation of Localism

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Isn’t that the place where the black biting flys swarm at sunrise/sunset?

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
The montauk guys are the worst. If you don’t live here don’t surf here, oh but shop at what’s her names boutique (she was always a cool little kid and she’s hot so she gets a pass), take a lesson from prince douchebag, and buy my photo book. Oh make sure to take care of my homie behind the bar at surf lodge. After you’ve done all that, spend 100k with my real estate bro on an august rental, now GTFO we’re core bro and we can’t believe what happened to montauk over the last 15 years

FTR I grew up out there and get waves wherever and whenever. but even seeing it directed “elsewhere” is still nauseating.
This is the problem. There are so many other better ways to make money than promoting more surfers. It's so stupid.

But the irony of it is that all of the people (myself included) are on here using a product (this forum) that was built from funds that came from surf exploitation. And posting anything promoting surfing on here is contributing to the problem.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
There was a time when that worked around here. Those days are pretty much gone too. When you see the clips of NJ's best packing big tubes on the biggest days, they are doing it in fairly packed lineups as people converge on the zone from all over NJ and NY. Granted the best waves are being ridden by a select few who have the ballz to huck over the ledge but they are doing it among a pack of frothers and wanna-bees.
Yeah east coast is different. It's usually a select zone that lights up vs an entire stretch of coast. So you have pros and rippers tuned in from New England to Florida ready to pounce on an individual spot because of surfline.

But I was literally just in south Beach and it was 6-8 foot, dredging, and makeable and there were literally 15 guys out over a half mile stretch. There was dozens of surfers on the sand making excuses about going out.I bet Outer Banks gets like that a lot too.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
for the most part pumping days clear the lineup in the nynj area. It is great. Combine that with water in the low 40's which culls another 20% of the crowd and wintertime surfing around here is really fun. That said there are a few spots in eastern LI, a beach near subways house and a couple spots in nj where that is not the case, and one must battle a local crew of rippers and visiting pros for a wave.

Reactions: Aruka

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
for the most part pumping days clear the lineup in the nynj area. It is great. Combine that with water in the low 40's which culls another 20% of the crowd and wintertime surfing around here is really fun. That said there are a few spots in eastern LI, a beach near subways house and a couple spots in nj where that is not the case, and one must battle a local crew of rippers and visiting pros for a wave.
How many “pumping” days/year? At least you’re close to good pizza.

Reactions: Aruka and Truth

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I try not to think about it.
That’s all I ever thought about. Here, pumping 30. By anyone’s standards. Excellent 50. Good solid 100. Fuck it, good enough 75 - 100. Cold water is below 70 and then from upwelling from pumping swells. That’s close to 300 days when you’d paddle out without thinking of the days chore list. That’s without driving. I’m glad you guys put up with that but you won’t be convincing me anytime soon.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
That’s all I ever thought about. Here, pumping 30. By anyone’s standards. Excellent 50. Good solid 100. fook it, good enough 75 - 100. Cold water is below 70 and then from upwelling from pumping swells. That’s close to 300 days when you’d paddle out without thinking of the days chore list. That’s without driving. I’m glad you guys put up with that but you won’t be convincing me anytime soon.
Where do you live, how's the internet? Any suggested neighborhoods? What's your favorite break?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Every time I start to like Ogro he posts some 300 surfable days per year sh!t to make me dislike him again.

Dude probably gets to regularly eat avocados that aren't 5 bucks a peice and hard as a rock too.

Check your privilege amigo :cursing:
With 70+ to 80 degree water.

Avocados are expensive here, not like Oregon but $4usd/kg. That’s close to the luxury item cost. Thanks Carla Hills, Billy Clinton, and that mamavergas Carlos Salinas de Gortari. Avocados won’t grow on the beach here and the rest of the state north of us doesn’t produce until you cross the Río Balsas into Michoacán. Big industry there. Bigger than reefer. I’ll give you two guesses who controls it.

We will get avocados a kg at a time and they ripen perfectly with some attention and then get a load that stays hard as a rock and gets skunky as soon as it starts to soften.

If I could stand freezing my nuts off for the majority of the year Oregon would be a good choice. Chop firewood, li dat.

We’ve had people from Oregon camp on the beach this time of year forever (hi Qsurf, missed you by a click so many years ago on Thanksgiving no less) year in and out. Their camping spots are now fenced private property.

No traffic signals yet...

Nobody is holding a gun to your young head, you live where you live because there are more positives than negatives.

Surf was in the good to very good range this morning and sounds lively tonight. So there’s that.

Reactions: Truth and Aruka