Explanation of Localism

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Never even heard of taking turns with strangers until the last 20 or so years. Never really tried at most spots. I thought the mags were spinning the yarns to save face or put the masses at ease enough to snake em when the time comes. I barely trust the line at the coffee shop, definitely not in the surf.
I surf alone in the rip.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I also found it laughable that he talks about a "real" surfer and then mentions Steve Coletta, but also "Matt Johnson" as the epitome of hardcore surf ethos. He laments, "There's no 'Big Wednesday' in it" anymore.
In the movie, Matt Johnson gets kicked off the beach.

The amazing thing in this scene is how the lifeguard dude runs from Malibu to Emma Wood in a split second.

• Haha
Reactions: tenover

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
This seems to work the best for me. If we could only ever get waves good enough for this strategy to start being used again...

Even better, burn the other friend locals (with a smile). This usually puts the crowd on notice that it's now a group crowd control effort.

Share waves with the other regulars. Me and Bassy have this down to an artform.

My good friend had the nick name "Sheep Herder". LOL, ask NPSP about him. He always said, "when you paddle out, stuff the best guy on the very first wave". This guy is more of the one man crowd type. If it was just the two of you out, he would still hustle and burn you.

Ogro. Pat is long gone, his spot is pretty much gone. Tell some story, please, pretty please? Beside you, and I can't claim to know you, I only personally know one guy who ever surfed there, Brian in Cardiff, rides Eatons. Haven't seen him in a few years.
Fooking Herder. He was usually stuffing someone on every wave.... I didn't mind him because so much attention and hatred would be focused on him, it would free up waves.
When the waves are good for it, "Sharing is caring" is a saying amongst a few of us that trust each other at my regular. Sometimes it's better to ride with those you know than not ride at all.....

Reactions: Senor Sopa

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Luckily this applies to maybe 5 whole spots on the east coast that I can think of...the Fighthouse being one of them, i don't even bother unless we're in 4/3s or more.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Luckily this applies to maybe 5 whole spots on the east coast that I can think of...the Fighthouse being one of them, i don't even bother unless we're in 4/3s or more.
Maybe in North Carolina. I can think of one named "spot" in Florida there *might* be something like this. Everywhere else is an overrun WQS contest 99% of the time, and cold/onshore/weekday the other 1%.

We didn't think we were good enough for Sebastian until we were about 14 - 1994. I didn't see any pecking order. Someone got deeper and was willing to call out a drop in, it was their wave, and odds were better than even every single person who did know the burner, even since elementary school, was glad he got called out and offered no sympathy.

IMHO the biggest problem isn't the WQS contest rules creating a hassley snake pit. It's the low intermediates who insist on surfing crowded spots and drop in and/or paddle the section down.

Reactions: wedge2

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
When I was a teenager I went to Costa Rica on my first surf trip. I met a guy at lunch that had retired there. When I asked him what he did, he said he helped ruin a beautiful little town called Sun Valley, Idaho.

I thought I understood what he meant, but I think about that a lot now.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
side story - wasn't it CJ and his crew who showed up to Scorpion Bay and ...
People weren't happy and ...
figure the rest out for yourself...

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
side story - wasn't it CJ and his crew who showed up to Scorpion Bay and ...
People weren't happy and ...
figure the rest out for yourself...
Please refer to Post #37 Page 2

From the comments section of the link in said Post:

"AlSoldano November 14, 2007 at 8:02 AM
I'm glad CJ and his crew had their fins confiscated. I'm also glad their baja trip was cut short."

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::applause2:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I still think it's funny everyone there was so pussy they let CJ and his entourage walk all over them in the water and then did something passive aggressive.
I'm sure if you were some old guy surf dude on a budget with no health insurance spending long stints in tents or in a dusty trailer you'd totally start up with a bunch of aggro Santa Crews blow ins in remote Baja. For someone who has travelled as much as you have and who freely admits he's not a 6'4" middle linebacker, this is a pretty odd take.

My guess is the average person who can be in BFE Baja and chooses a longboard spot can't punch out an entire Eastside crew of 20-somethings, and is possibly at an age where getting your shoulder dislocated or your knee kicked the wrong way = DONE surfing.

IMHO most people do passive aggressive things in response to an abused power dynamic where they have no other recourse.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm sure if you were some old guy surf dude on a budget with no health insurance spending long stints in tents or in a dusty trailer you'd totally start up with a bunch of aggro Santa Crews blow ins in remote Baja. For someone who has travelled as much as you have and who freely admits he's not a 6'4" middle linebacker, this is a pretty odd take.

My guess is the average person who can be in BFE Baja and chooses a longboard spot can't punch out an entire Eastside crew of 20-somethings, and is possibly at an age where getting your shoulder dislocated or your knee kicked the wrong way = DONE surfing.
I'm willing to bet the lineup wasn't just full of crusty old dudes.

And I've also found there's plenty of old dudes 60+ that don't think twice about regulating younger guys.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm willing to bet the lineup wasn't just full of crusty old dudes.
I'd have no idea. I'm just assuming budget log spot it takes a lot of time to get to = old guys so cheers I'm scared to put money on the table.

And I've also found there's plenty of old dudes 60+ that don't think twice about regulating younger guys.
Never seen this but I've never surfed in SD either. Generally when the 60+ crew is out here I'm surfing way the hell down the beach to get away from people, and when it's good enough the paddle out thins the main spots, me/my peers are the old guys.