Explanation of Localism

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The rest is bubble gum barbie lifestyle bs without the investment and hard earned clout to be at the top of the pecking order. That is where the breakdown is today. Ugh.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I came up in the 70s and the whole localism thing and in my hometown I may have not always been charitable to unlocals, even though my own surf skills were average at best. I like to think I am a much nicer guy now.

I still think there is value in being a local or at least a regular at a spot and if you put in the hours you should get a high spot in the pecking order. But I am not down with vandalizing cars or beating people up or just throwing unfamiliar faces out of the water. At the same time if you are a visitor somewhere, humility is your friend and you should only ever expect scraps. If they are good maybe they can move into the rotation but even so, most visitors charging hard for sets should be put in their place down at the scrapyard.

At zoo'd out spots like the Hook all bets are off, though.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I don't get the cluelessness. Bet it's mostly faked - unless people are generally more retarded now.

I grew up in Denmark, a non-surfing country at the time. It was a different era, and you generally respected your elders and those that had chops, but we knew nothing about surf etiquette.

After 6 months of kooking it in mushy knee high windwaves at home it was off to France, Spain, Portugal etc, and it took about five split seconds to figure out how the game went. And when we fcuked up, we soon found out and learned and adjusted.

I appreciate proper localism. It's a hell of a lot better than a total loss of structure.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
if you are that old guy getting sets you can never let it go - cant get it back if you let them paddle around you -
Are you feeling old? Serious question. Everything has a shelf life. It will also depend on where. Like where you are.

In general, if you’re not known there, on a good day you’ll catch a set wave when one the 10 guys that have the place wired give you one. Don’t back off, don’t fall off.

Reactions: keenfish

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I don't get the cluelessness. Bet it's mostly faked - unless people are generally more retarded now.
Interesting question.

I think people are less connected to the physical world, more connected to the virtual world.

So, the kooks showing up, feel more obligation to their insta/social media followers than to any real life human beings in the vicinity.

Thats just a theory.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Interesting question.

I think people are less connected to the physical world, more connected to the virtual world.

So, the kooks showing up, feel more obligation to their insta/social media followers than to any real life human beings in the vicinity.

Thats just a theory.
I recon that's more spot on than a theory.

The yutes are more engaged in the virtual than the real and that is where the breakdown is.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I almost posted this.

the idea of localism trips me out at pleasure pt. Probably the biggest sh!t show I’ve experienced.

but I agree with nelson. I’ve told younger surfers how clueless they are to what it once was.

the most irritating part is the crews that used to try and preserve their locals and keep it quiet almost unanimously have sold out their spots here. But seems to be the story nationwide from my experience

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
It's a lot of work being an apex surf local, going around enforcing a complex, unwritten code of tribal rules, customs and ethics that people from outside the immediate area should know by osmosis, but don't.

Now that there are legal consequences to being an apex local in many places in California, most people decided they have other things to do.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It's a lot of work being an apex surf local, going around enforcing a complex, unwritten code of tribal rules, customs and ethics that people from outside the immediate area should know by osmosis, but don't.

Now that there are legal consequences to being an apex local in many places in California, most people decided they have other things to do.
Complex?

Really?

It's not fcukng rocket science.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
"Invested in Localism" "There's no Big Wednesday" "the beautiful nobility of men challenging the ocean"

Sounds like this is the kind of guy who invests in FTX?

"All of our investments are kind of just, like, lost".

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

So, you told yourself a story that turned out to not hold up over time. Get over it. At least you have the memories of "what it took" and all the waves ridden. That's all I need.

Who gives a flying Fook about being "the local"? It's just stupid IMHO, fighting over something you will inevitably lose no matter what. Everyone gets old, everyone gets to the point where you physically cannot paddle out anymore, what's your "investment" worth then? If you ask me, only the fact that you are the physically fit old guy/gal that all the other old smelly folks hit on.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Humans trip me out with the stories we tell ourselves and actually believe.

Read some frigging philosophy for christ sakes.

Localism, and Surfing, are both just figments of our imaginations.

Get over yourself Mr. Local. And I say this as the old gray haired guy who gets the best set waves at "my local", for lack of a better expression to convey the term, and not many people even think of dropping in on me.

:waving::shaka:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Interesting question.

Thats just a theory.
Sounds plausible.