Explain Trump and the Big Crazy

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
1. Yeah, and that article, paragraph by paragraph, goes through facets of neoliberalism that almost the entirety of the (D) party is against.
Put me down for don't understand the distinctions. Particularly as defined by the Guardian.
If you don't like the Guardian's definition, how about business insider?

or

or

excerpt '
- In the United States, former Presidents George H.W. Bush, George Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama and current President Donald Trump also carried out these expansions of the commercialization of medicine, Trump being the maximum expression of such phenomena. Neoliberalism became the hegemonic ideology of both national and international institutions such as the World Health Organization, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, Central European Bank, European Parliament, and European Commission (among many others).'

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If you don't like the Guardian's definition, how about business insider?

or

or

excerpt '
- In the United States, former Presidents George H.W. Bush, George Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama and current President Donald Trump also carried out these expansions of the commercialization of medicine, Trump being the maximum expression of such phenomena. Neoliberalism became the hegemonic ideology of both national and international institutions such as the World Health Organization, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, Central European Bank, European Parliament, and European Commission (among many others).'

I still have no idea what the distinction between neoliberal and neoconservative are. But these at least aren't point-by-point assaults on everything the GOP stood for for 36 years (Reagan to Trump), almost all of which the (D) opposed. The Guardian's did a much better job of attempting to define it.

Some podcaster's OpEd Business Insider published claims the Democrats have sided with big business on tax cuts. I can go down the list of tax cuts over the last 40 years and there's going to be way more Nays than Yeas, so that's a demonstrably false assertion.

I think it's hilarious that, Democrats having barely flipped Arizona and Georgia, and gotten their asses kicked, badly, in Florida, somehow The Left thinks rolling back the clock to 1972, when they won Massachusetts, DC, and nothing else, is some kind of solution. Politicians do things because they win elections.

I rather enjoy Vox telling you that your use of the term is one of the strangest results from 2016. That's pretty strange!

The fallout from the 2016 election has created many surreal moments for historians of American politics and parties, but surely one of the oddest has been the introduction of the term neoliberal into the popular discourse. Even stranger still is that it has become a pejorative largely lobbed by the left less at Republicans and more at Democrats.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
"Trump kind of threw a wrench in the neoliberal machine in that he brought so much instability, alienating china/Europe, kissing tyrants asses, and obvious personal grifting."

So neoliberals are pro-stability, anti-kissing tyrants asses, anti-personal grifting, and pro productive relations with china and Europe.

OK
You made some incisive comments

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
This in a nutshell. To break it won even more,

Traditionalists, pro-lifers, people who are uneasy about the LGBTQIAA+ agenda, people who are suspicious of BLM and defund the po-po and antifa and all that crap, and plenty of religious people all feel like the modern day Dem party hates their guts. Trump says, "I'm your guy".

People who think regulations that ensure health and safety and are environmentally friendly are bad for business and ship jobs overseas. Trump says, "I'm your guy".

People who hate political correctness and the SJWs that enforce it. Trump says, "I'm your guy".

People who have been left behind by globalization and blame foreigners and immigrants. Trump says, "I'm your guy".

People who see more and more power and wealth concentrated in sneering, sanctimoious, smug elites on the coasts, to the detriment of the rest of America. Trump says, "I'm your guy".

And so on.

These people are so angry that when Trump lies through his teeth and says, "I'm your guy", they believe him and anoint him "Their Special Guy", never to be fucked with. He's their champion, and they will go to the mat for him, and will primary out anyone who's not on the Trump Train, 'cause he's their guy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So you read the intro and that is your take on the article :drowning:

3 articles from different types of writers for different audiences and petty criticism is the take.

I give up.
I read all three. I tried to engage you in precise detail after you posted the Guardian article. You dodged and ducked and made vague assertions, aka petty criticism.

Because if you were willing to engage on an issue-by-issue basis, you'd be proven wrong.

But yeah, I'm sure Trump won because a bunch of flyover state hicks care about Honduras.

Reactions: afoaf