Exercise Bike Good?

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021
You can get a first gen peloton for $1,200.

personally I don’t like riding bikes it’s boring af and treadmills and stairclimbers burn calories much faster.

I was looking at doing the zshred program but I haven’t invested much time into validating if it’s good or not. Bowflex dumbbells are possibly on my list.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
hunny bunny did a peloton and uses it daily.

it’s kinda like a drug.

whatever koolaid combo they’re doing with the classes and music, it seems to work.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
hunny bunny did a peloton and uses it daily.

it’s kinda like a drug.

whatever koolaid combo they’re doing with the classes and music, it seems to work.
Wifey just got deluxe one, used once. She blasts so louds, says it's not loud enough. Yesterday, I glanced, over and the gal on screen was full on headbanging with her pony tail.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I was looking at doing the zshred program but I haven’t invested much time into validating if it’s good or not. Bowflex dumbbells are possibly on my list.
Bowflex dumbbells are awful. Sort reviews by lowest rating and you will see the same issues being railed on over and over.

The Rogue fan bike is supposed to be better for men because of it's larger frame.

Got an Assault (brand) bike for the wife, she likes it. Hope she likes the vacuum I have picked out for her birthday :ban:

• Wow
Reactions: potato-nator

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wifey just got deluxe one, used once. She blasts so louds, says it's not loud enough. Yesterday, I glanced, over and the gal on screen was full on headbanging with her pony tail.
Yeah, hunny bunny got the deluxe, too. supposed to have better speakers than the OG, I think. her home gym is the room with a window facing the street. I’m sure all the neighbors appreciate her daily home fitness routines. :roflmao:

No complaints about the results, however.:dancing:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We got a good one from Amazon for $600 that’s comparable to a peloton with magnetic resistance and is actually a little quieter. Got a separate cadence & heart rate monitor, which are also inexpensive, and use the peloton app on a phone, tablet or tv.

We did this for almost 2 years. It worked fine. I actually preferred it because it had pedal straps instead of clip ins. Wife wanted the Peloton.

I don't love the Peloton, or stationary biking. I don't like the clips. As an all out fitness class app, particularly for people like me that don't really care to create their own routine, it's worth the $10 month investment. Yoga, bike, stretch, crossover, there's plenty of variety in class, level, and instructor. I hate the clip in shoes simply for the fact that I have to have special shoes and I walk funny with them on, terrified I"m going to slip. As far as the bike goes, I like the integration and "lock" feature (whatever the range of resistance is that the instructor suggests, the bike automatically adjusts it), but I don't need the whole bike.

If I was to buy a piece of gym equipment, it would be the rower.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have a spin cycle for Amazon. Bought it almost 10 years ago for $400. I ride it regularly and like it. I have it in my exercise room in front of my big TV. Throw on a movie and pedal for 45 min - 1 hr.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We did this for almost 2 years. It worked fine. I actually preferred it because it had pedal straps instead of clip ins. Wife wanted the Peloton.

I don't love the Peloton, or stationary biking. I don't like the clips. As an all out fitness class app, particularly for people like me that don't really care to create their own routine, it's worth the $10 month investment. Yoga, bike, stretch, crossover, there's plenty of variety in class, level, and instructor. I hate the clip in shoes simply for the fact that I have to have special shoes and I walk funny with them on, terrified I"m going to slip.

If I was to buy a piece of gym equipment, it would be the rower.

The cool thing about the Ergatta is the platform isn’t videos of other people working out and yelling at you or giving you words of inspiration. It’s graphic based and almost more like a gaming platform based on goals and races. So if you’re competitive it’s really good at pushing you. When I first got the ergatta, I received a lemon with a non-functioning censor so I couldn’t record any metrics or compete in any races. I was still able to do timed rows on my own and used the Apple Fitness rowing videos which were instructor led and I still got a workout but didn’t love them. Once I got my ergatta replaced with a fully functioning unit, it made me really appreciate the platform. So glad I chose this over instructor led video platforms.

Love that this hits a lot more muscle groups than a stationary/spin bike. I ride on roads and trails so this is a better complimentary workout when I don’t have time to get on my bike.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i like my peloton. I don't ride it for an hour. 15-30 minutes several times a week, sprints and climbs in and out of the saddle, keeps the lungs and legs pumping and in good shape. The instructors are fun (#livelearnlovewell) but sometimes it's nice to do one of the scenic rides and play your own tunes, as long as you are disciplined enough to really sprint and climb. Just pedaling along at a mild cardio pace doesn't do much

Reactions: sdsrfr

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
i like my peloton. I don't ride it for an hour. 15-30 minutes several times a week, sprints and climbs in and out of the saddle, keeps the lungs and legs pumping and in good shape. The instructors are fun (#livelearnlovewell) but sometimes it's nice to do one of the scenic rides and play your own tunes, as long as you are disciplined enough to really sprint and climb. Just pedaling along at a mild cardio pace doesn't do much

same