Everything you need to know...

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Well duh, I'm talking about concave providing "lift" over say a flat bottom.
Concave provides lift when you pump it. It lets you trap a bit more pressure under the board when you push down. Flat lets the water escape more when you push down.

But the concave bottom has a bit more drag. So a flat will have a higher top speed, but a concave is quicker off the first turn.

Reactions: Havoc

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Think this design has any merit? Kelly was spotted checking out JOB's lately.
1579540214193.png1579540250885.png

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Concave provides lift when you pump it. It lets you trap a bit more pressure under the board when you push down. Flat lets the water escape more when you push down.

But the concave bottom has a bit more drag. So a flat will have a higher top speed, but a concave is quicker off the first turn.

I get what you're saying and that might feel like lift, but are we actually getting lift at low speeds? Top end on a wave is what maybe 20mph, yes we could experience lift, but 5-10mph? Like driving and putting your hand out the window (obviously air is not water) but you don't feel anything at low speeds, but on the freeway your hand can lift up and down.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I get what you're saying and that might feel like lift, but are we actually getting lift at low speeds? Top end on a wave is what maybe 20mph, yes we could experience lift, but 5-10mph? Like driving and putting your hand out the window (obviously air is not water) but you don't feel anything at low speeds, but on the freeway your hand can lift up and down.
I saw a Kelly bottom turn about 5 feet in front of me, on a shitty 3 foot wave. The force from his leg extension gave him instant speed and lift. I've never seen anyone else do something like that.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
OK, something that I have to admit that I don't know, and hoping someone like @griffinsurfboard or the like can elucidate for me, is two approaches to HPSB nose/tail rocker combinations.

Specifically, I notice that some boards are described as 'Higher nose rocker with lower tail rocker' whereas others are described as 'Lower nose rocker but more tail lift'. Within the context of high performance boards , what's the thinking / intent behind the two school of thought / design ?

Mar 13, 2019
What's this?

Pointed noses suffer less "baseball bat effect" and are easier to hold in rail turns;
Yeah, what the hell is "baseball bat effect"? When I Google it, I just get a bunch of references to guys doing penis enlargement and getting weird shaped dicks. Seriously.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
now we need a stab in the dark with all the same board, only differences are the bottom contours. mick gonna rip more on a flat bottom? triple concave? channels?