everything everywhere all at once

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
If someone can clearly explain to me what warranted EEA winning best pic, other than Oriental appeasement after a tough year of societal breakdown and targeting, I welcome it.
I was trying to watch it on a 9-hr plane ride, and couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. I have to give it another shot.

I really dig multi-verse type of stories.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I was trying to watch it on a 9-hr plane ride, and couldn't get past the first 30 minutes. I have to give it another shot.

I really dig multi-verse type of stories.
It took me 3 times. I kept losing interest. Maverick once snd then watched it sgain the next day. Riveting!!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It took me 3 times. I kept losing interest. Maverick once snd then watched it sgain the next day. Riveting!!
Movies are too subjective. With EEAO I was pretty hooked from the get go. Not that I wasn't hooked with Maverick from the get go... that Darkstar flight was pretty awesome. why didn't he just stop at MACH10 that idiot?! Everyone was probably fired because of him. But EEAO kept taking weird unexpected turns while I knew exactly what was gonna happen 10 minutes into Maverick. I was surprised no one died though... no one. And maybe someone should have.

Reactions: Pico

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I have not seen one best picture that won in the last 15 years. The 50 years before that I only haven't seen 4 or 5. Something has changed on how they pick the best picture.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Movies are too subjective. With EEAO I was pretty hooked from the get go. Not that I wasn't hooked with Maverick from the get go... that Darkstar flight was pretty awesome. why didn't he just stop at MACH10 that idiot?! Everyone was probably fired because of him. But EEAO kept taking weird unexpected turns while I knew exactly what was gonna happen 10 minutes into Maverick. I was surprised no one died though... no one. And maybe someone should have.

Not Tom Cruise though.
At least, not until he is able to suck your gack!
:shrug::barf::shameonyou:

• Sad
Reactions: brukuns

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This. And then when Maverick sneaks into the enemy air base and steals the old airplane...come on man! :foreheadslap:

De gustibus.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Maverick got nominated for Best Picture which I don't think it deserved, and it got nominated for some other categories.

It's not like Box Office has no tangible rewards. It has all the tangible rewards in some ways. Personally, I'd rather have the money than the trophy so I'm not crying for Tom Cruise.

Regarding relatively recent Best Picture nominees/winners, the ones I've seen, the vast majority of them are more deserving than Maverick IMHO.

Ford v Ferrari, 1917, The Post, The Big Short, American Sniper, Grand Budapest Hotel, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, Moneyball, The King's Speech, Up in the Air, The Blind Side, Juno, The Departed, Master and Commander...

I love the LOTR so kind of disqualify them because of my fandom, but I don't think those were necessarily best picture worthy. Master and Commander was as deserving as Return of the King and Gangs of New York was better than The Two Towers. I can see some people unable to stand Grand Budapest but for whatever reason I liked it.

Avatar, Inglorious Basterds, The Revenant, Les Miserables, and Dunkirk I can see being on a par or not as good as Maverick although I liked some of them as much or more.

The canyon flight, nostalgia easter eggs, and pacing of Maverick was very good. It cost a fortune and was logistically unpossible.

The King's Speech was short on explosions but was still an incredible move from where I'm sitting.

Reactions: Subway

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I watched the entire 3 hours of Babylon last night, the Everything Everywhere at once for morons. You know Brad Pitt was paid 100 million dollars for his performance In that mess.
unfortunately saw this is in the theater - couldnt wait for it to be over. pitt and and cast were good and it was well acted - just a mess of an over indulgent movie.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Maverick got nominated for Best Picture which I don't think it deserved, and it got nominated for some other categories.

It's not like Box Office has no tangible rewards. It has all the tangible rewards in some ways. Personally, I'd rather have the money than the trophy so I'm not crying for Tom Cruise.

Regarding relatively recent Best Picture nominees/winners, the ones I've seen, the vast majority of them are more deserving than Maverick IMHO.

Ford v Ferrari, 1917, The Post, The Big Short, American Sniper, Grand Budapest Hotel, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, Moneyball, The King's Speech, Up in the Air, The Blind Side, Juno, The Departed, Master and Commander...

I love the LOTR so kind of disqualify them because of my fandom, but I don't think those were necessarily best picture worthy. Master and Commander was as deserving as Return of the King and Gangs of New York was better than The Two Towers. I can see some people unable to stand Grand Budapest but for whatever reason I liked it.

Avatar, Inglorious Basterds, The Revenant, Les Miserables, and Dunkirk I can see being on a par or not as good as Maverick although I liked some of them as much or more.

The canyon flight, nostalgia easter eggs, and pacing of Maverick was very good. It cost a fortune and was logistically unpossible.

The King's Speech was short on explosions but was still an incredible move from where I'm sitting.
I aint crying for Cruise either. Im whining about EEA receiving a Sappy Reparation we feel sorry for you award with Best Picture. Yeah its been a hard year and a long road for Orientals. I hope this makes it all better. I will say again Yeoh, Huan and The Daniels deserved their awards. Just not Best Pic or JLC.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I aint crying for Cruise either. Im whining about EEA receiving a Sappy Reparation we feel sorry for you award with Best Picture. Yeah its been a hard year and a long road for Orientals. I hope this makes it all better. I will say again Yeoh, Huan and The Daniels deserved their awards. Just not Best Pic or JLC.
I agree with you but at the same time I don't think the other contenders were that deserving either. Ok I didn't watch all of them but I think we can all agree it's been a while since we got a really memorable movie.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
All Quiet on the Western Front and Tar were not memorable?
Belfast wasn't memorable?

Thought these might be good.

I saw Ford v Ferrari; it's only a couple years old - that one wasn't memorable?

Surely not everything is unwatchable art house or a filmed musical like Les Miserables?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
watched All Quiet On the Western Front over the weekend. That movie was depressing AF
IMO Everything Everywhere deserved the awards it won

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Before watching Maverick, we decided to watch the original Top Gun with the kids last night as we thought they'd like it. I hadn't seen it in many years.

They thought it was SLOOOOOOOW.

Normally I'd say it's because they've been improperly marvelized against my will but I kind of agree - I can't figure out why that movie was longer than 25 minutes. A ton of filler, minimal story arc, and too much Berlin Loggins.

Is Maverick going to be another Coming 2 America/Dark Tower where they just threw together a bunch of Easter Eggs and hoped that would be enough? Don't think any of us are feeling nostalgia today... :roflmao:

Get off my lawn!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
All Quiet on the Western Front and Tar were not memorable?
Belfast wasn't memorable?

Thought these might be good.

I saw Ford v Ferrari; it's only a couple years old - that one wasn't memorable?

Surely not everything is unwatchable art house or a filmed musical like Les Miserables?
All Quiet on the Western Front was pretty awesome. but would they really give the award to another WWI movie? It was pretty fucking awesome though. Didn't watch Tar. Ford vs Ferrari was good stuff.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
watched All Quiet On the Western Front over the weekend. That movie was depressing AF
IMO Everything Everywhere deserved the awards it won
I probably could have done without the sausage fingers bit. :roflmao: ... and they even managed to have an emotional love scene between the sausage finger people.... Now that I think about it If that's not best movie award worthy, I don't know what is!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
All Quiet on the Western Front was pretty awesome. but would they really give the award to another WWI movie? It was pretty fucking awesome though. Didn't watch Tar. Ford vs Ferrari was good stuff.
Wasn't the last WW1 movie to win Lawrence of Arabia, and the last one before that was the OG All Quiet on the Western Front?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Master and commander is one of my personal goats. Never understood how they never made 6 more- they only have 20+ novels loaded with adventures to put on camera

just read that a prequel, based on the very first novel, was in the works as of 2021, but, that is 2 years ago now. Who knows

love the age of sail