Everyday Sanity Check - Poll

Would you say something to someone who sat in the beach parking lot running their engine for an hour

• Total voters

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^- While true, usually not a good idea to just stomp on it from the git go. Drive like a sensible person for 5 or so minutes and then homp* on it.

* - Guy from highschool always used to say this all the time. Interesting to see this bit of slang still around.

1660324750672.png

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Some golden responses in here. :LOL:

To throw some more color on why the whole situation was just unrelatable, this guy had the paid parking ticket on his dash, and this lot is $25. So he drove down to the beach to pay $25 and sit in his car for hours. You cant even see the water from where he was at!? :shrug: Wasn't that hot out either, maybe 75* tops. Why pay to go to the beach, to not actually go to the beach, and just sit in a parking lot on your phone?. :poke:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
@92122 carry around 3"x 6' flexible tube and attach one end to tail pipe other set inside open window :shaka:

is that still possible?...i *think* i remember so long ago in some class that the catalytic converter changes most of the carbon monoxide which is what used to be the killer to carbon dioxide and now itll only.make you pass out ans wake.up with a mean headache

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
is that still possible?...i *think* i remember so long ago in some class that the catalytic converter changes most of the carbon monoxide which is what used to be the killer to carbon dioxide and now itll only.make you pass out ans wake.up with a mean headache
Do it anyways. Just for the fun of it.

:porcorn::dancing::porcorn:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Next time I feel like running when I don't need to, I'm going to savor the fact that someone else thinks it really fukkin matters at this point. Good for you. Privilege is a terrible thing to waste. Think of all the people starving in China and Baltimore, then, enjoy the $25 dollars you just paid to park there. WTF.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Depends where they are.

if they are parked next to me at the Point while I'm surf checking and I get fumes I usually lean over and say "turn your fcuking engine off dickhead"

One bloke came out the car and said "what did you say?"

I pulled out my little crowbar and said "turn your engine off"

We don't have guns in Australia.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and keenfish

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That's not gonna happen. :drowning:
But there are times you need to intervene.

There was a homeless guy lying face down on the sidewalk on PCH passed out no shirt or shoes on.

I called the police and said "Is this something that people are reporting now?"

Gas is t0o expensive to idle your car now.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Stuff like this is mildly infuriating, but with the mental illness and easy available of guns I just stew in anger and do not say anything.

Reactions: 92122

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Hey I'd worry about it. YMMV. Just saying that could be why someone runs their car...
Hey the internet is full of useful info:

A typical car battery is about 70 amp-hours or 70Ah.

A typical phone battery is about 4000 mAh, i.e. 4Ah.

Amp-hour is the energy stored in a battery per unit output voltage. A mobile phone battery is rated at 4.2V output, while for a car battery, its a little over 12V. Lets assume 12V.

So the total energy stored in a car battery is 70*12 VAh; and for a mobile battery, it’s 4.2*4 VAh. So it can be charged 70*12/(4*4.2)= 50 times.

So now you can tell others too that unless they are charging 50 phones they don't need to run the engine. :)

Reactions: tacos and Aruka