Eversion Ankle Sprain

Dec 5, 2010
I'm self diagnosing here but I think I have a eversion ankle sprain. Not a normal rolled ankle but the opposite way, I was in a close out barrel and I think the lip came down on my back leg and all that weight pushed my leg inward while my foot was still stable(Its kind of a blur). It felt like something cracked in my outer ankle, I thought for sure I broke my ankle but when I got out of the water, I knew it wasn't broken. Its barely swollen and I'm able to walk but theres tenderness in the ankle and I find it hard to move it certain ways.
I've sprained both ankles multiple times but this is different, the thing I'm concerned about is that cracking sensation I felt - I'm guessing I had to tear the deltoid ligament but I'm only working off Google.
Anybody had this happen and how long for recovery? I think its a good sign that I can walk and have very little swelling. Thanks for the help.

Jul 18, 2018
I'm self diagnosing here but I think I have a eversion ankle sprain. Not a normal rolled ankle but the opposite way, I was in a close out barrel and I think the lip came down on my back leg and all that weight pushed my leg inward while my foot was still stable(Its kind of a blur). It felt like something cracked in my outer ankle, I thought for sure I broke my ankle but when I got out of the water, I knew it wasn't broken. Its barely swollen and I'm able to walk but theres tenderness in the ankle and I find it hard to move it certain ways.
I've sprained both ankles multiple times but this is different, the thing I'm concerned about is that cracking sensation I felt - I'm guessing I had to tear the deltoid ligament but I'm only working off Google.
Anybody had this happen and how long for recovery? I think its a good sign that I can walk and have very little swelling. Thanks for the help.
It's a very good sign that you can walk and that there is little swelling but ankles are tricky and develop dysfunction quickly.
I think you're probably right in your assessment but I think you'd be wise to get it looked at. Ideally with an MRI.
I had a bad ankle injury 10+ years ago when I was uninsured. I bought an air-cast online and limped for a few weeks until eventually felt okay. Long story short when I eventually got it properly examined years later I had to get significant surgery, non-weight bearing for 3 months + a year of PT.
Good luck!

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
If you’re in San Diego, the ‘go to’ DPM with ankle expertise is Dr. Lois Gilles. His offices are in the building behind Scripps Encinitas. Med school professor on Thursdays, did amazing work on removing an arthritic joint and overseeing the fusing of bones. Brilliant! (888) 261-8431 (760) 666-0190. An X-Ray may show injury or an MRI if it is more complicated. Good luck! John

Jul 18, 2018
Good call John4surf.
You definitely want an expert. As I said, ankles are tough. I went to HSS in NYC, Dr Drakos helped me out big time.
I thought my ankle was fine for a while but turned out that my body had made dozens of compromises to make things feel "alright" until it ran out of options. Literally the whole left side of my body was compromised and still is to some degree.

PT is a whole other debacle. Get what you can from insurance but that might not be everything you need. For me, strengthening inversion/eversion with bands was critical to get back in the water. Then this thing got me to walking/jogging again
Best of luck

Reactions: john4surf

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
If you are insured, go see an orthopaedic surgeon, who specialized in feet and ankles, NOT a podiatrist that has his title/name end in DPM. MD ONLY. DPM are quacks just like chiropractors. Get an X-Ray first on a CD or email, then possibly an MRI after x-ray evaluation. Go see a qualified DPT (doctor of physical therapy). If you are in OC, I can refer you to several orthos and PT clinics.

I just sprained my ankle and broke my foot on Feb 5th after playing pick up basketball. Avulsion fracture in the talar neck. This happened one week before I got an MRI for a potential 4th right knee surgery. Dr. Warren Kramer is one of my go to orthos. I played volleyball in college, so have suffered plenty of injuries and can tell you the ankle, knee, hip, lower back are intertwined. If one is fcked up, it will compromise the others. same applies to shoulder, neck, upper back.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: bvendley
Dec 5, 2010
Been 10 days since injury, I had very little discomfort in the last 5 days, pretty much felt like I was back to normal. Paddled out today, didn't even think about my ankle. Went to get up on my first wave and horrible shooting pain as my back foot hit the board. I instantly collapsed in horrible pain for 5 minutes or so. I've biked, walked, been on feet all day at work, did yard work, and no pain. Been through the X-ray, MRI process many times for knees and ankles, takes forever, I was hoping to avoid but I'll try to get an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon,

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Interesting I worked HSS IT department today!

Good call John4surf.
You definitely want an expert. As I said, ankles are tough. I went to HSS in NYC, Dr Drakos helped me out big time.
I thought my ankle was fine for a while but turned out that my body had made dozens of compromises to make things feel "alright" until it ran out of options. Literally the whole left side of my body was compromised and still is to some degree.

PT is a whole other debacle. Get what you can from insurance but that might not be everything you need. For me, strengthening inversion/eversion with bands was critical to get back in the water. Then this thing got me to walking/jogging again
Best of luck

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Eversion injuries of the ankle are a lot of force. Either you damage some of the medial ligaments or you have compression injuries to bone laterally. Having that much pain suggests an exam might be wise.

Been 10 days since injury, I had very little discomfort in the last 5 days, pretty much felt like I was back to normal. Paddled out today, didn't even think about my ankle. Went to get up on my first wave and horrible shooting pain as my back foot hit the board. I instantly collapsed in horrible pain for 5 minutes or so. I've biked, walked, been on feet all day at work, did yard work, and no pain. Been through the X-ray, MRI process many times for knees and ankles, takes forever, I was hoping to avoid but I'll try to get an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon,