Ever feel like a groveler is too small for 3'-5' surf?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that the cork layer in the C4 construction provided a dampeninig effect but have never ridden one myself. The Lib on dumpy vs mushy comparison is spot on, Ive had similar experiences.
Okay worth mentioning, I was thinking about how shockingly light the C4 feel in-hand. I had a C3, the shape and I didn't click, but there was definitely some dampening with the cork. So maybe that's off base on my part. I've never ridden one but I just can't picture something that light not being prone to it in surf above a certain grunt/texture.

End of Summer 2019, first named storm swell, call it chest-head and some bump, it was just not dumping enough for the LTPJ to go nuts and be great fun vs sliding on the bottom. Some guy with a C4 that day said it was a little chattery; but all I really noticed was the LTPJ's tendency to release/slide in the lip (which I love in that specific board).

Reactions: Chile Verde

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
What is this groveling we're all talking about (mostly pumping down a mostly closing out line?)
Just get a wavestorm and have some fun

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What is this groveling we're all talking about (mostly pumping down a mostly closing out line?)
Just get a wavestorm and have some fun
Not sure what could possibly be fun about cruising/trimming. It's a boring, unengaging, unfulfilling waste of time. It's like drinking a glass of water because you had to skip a meal. It doesn't scratch the surfing itch. I last 20 minutes and I start thinking about chores and errands I'd rather be doing.

Pumping down a closing out line is at least worthwhile practice that will keep you sharp for when there's actually waves.

Grovel:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I pretty much do the cork thing Duffy was talking about. Line up with the peak, sink the tail, spring up with the wave, add a couple of hard paddles and slingshot myself in. Very effective.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Not sure what could possibly be fun about cruising/trimming. It's a boring, unengaging, unfulfilling waste of time. It's like drinking a glass of water because you had to skip a meal. It doesn't scratch the surfing itch. I last 20 minutes and I start thinking about chores and errands I'd rather be doing.

Pumping down a closing out line is at least worthwhile practice that will keep you sharp for when there's actually waves.

Grovel:

try to surf better i guess. you may have missed a few decades of logging awesomeness