EPS Foam Recyclability vs. PU

What kind of foam will you ask for on your next board?

• Total voters

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thought this was interesting from Ellis Ericsson. Wonder if other shapers are as diligent about recycling eps foam scraps, but maybe this should be a factor to consider when choosing board construction… for those who care about such things. Personally, I prefer the feel of EPS in small/average waves anyway so will try to lean that way going forward.
http://instagr.am/p/CSiMnfOh_lP/

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
i like how much fuel is used to ship boars from thailand to usa. remember when that dumbassss mark price said that shipping across the ocean uses less fuel than a locally shaped board shipped to a local shop. u cant make this chit up lol
Huh? in addition to big brands, plenty of local shapers use eps. Lots of non-FW options

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Pu pe made by people who care will always be my favorite
Second is eps . It also takes immense amounts of care to come out well .

Varial is the dark hore in the race . Might have to order one jejejejeje

“takes an immense amount of care”? Your speaking of EPS/epoxy yeah? What specifically are you referring to?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
“takes an immense amount of care”? Your speaking of EPS/epoxy yeah? What specifically are you referring to?
With out trying to speak for retodd:foreheadslap: not all eps/epoxy boards are built the same and epoxy is very finicky to glass and must have perfect measurements etc to reach full strength and cure process done right "baking" makes for bullet proof glass job.

Reactions: oeste858

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
With out trying to speak for retodd:foreheadslap: not all eps/epoxy boards are built the same and epoxy is very finicky to glass and must have perfect measurements etc to reach full strength and cure process done right "baking" makes for bullet proof glass job.
Its actually not, I’m speaking from actually glassing boards and knowing, watching and learning from guys that laminate and sand epoxy boards all day every day. EPS isn’t hard to work with/shape by any stretch of the imagination-either- again based on actual experience.*

*Maybe exceptions for some oddball builds, but otherwise- it’s not a big deal.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
The eps blank needs to be sealed, spackle, z sealer, or mircoballon resin mix. The re finish Sanded. If you skip thus part chances of pinholes are likely

The lam takes some planning too , because the resin does not kick as fast you have some drainage or pooling issues.
If the temperature is hot and getting hotter then the pin hole issue from the blank outgassing is high.

Then during the prep sanding you need it to have zero contamination, that can cause problems with hot coat .

I b am leaving out some stuff but you get the idea

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
thanks For writing that - none of that is a big deal - particularly shouldn’t be for a pro shop. Is the process as brain-dead as a PU-PE board? No. Some more steps? Yes, still not a big deal. A monkey could spackle a board, and it’s arguable whether sealing an EPS blank before lam is even necessary if there’s no color work. Some shops don‘t and boards come out great.

All that being said, based on some Album boards I’ve seen on here - they should def not attempt Epoxy.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
i like how much fuel is used to ship boars from thailand to usa. remember when that dumbassss mark price said that shipping across the ocean uses less fuel than a locally shaped board shipped to a local shop. u cant make this chit up lol
The boat is able to carry more than one board :)

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
thanks For writing that - none of that is a big deal - particularly shouldn’t be for a pro shop. Is the process as brain-dead as a PU-PE board? No. Some more steps? Yes, still not a big deal. A monkey could spackle a board, and it’s arguable whether sealing an EPS blank before lam is even necessary if there’s no color work. Some shops don‘t and boards come out great.

All that being said, based on some Album boards I’ve seen on here - they should def not attempt Epoxy.
No one claimed rocket science but eps/epoxy is at very least different then doing pu/pe and like I said some do better jobs then most but same can be said with pu/pe. I am ole so light boards make no difference to me but lively and strong boards do:shaka:

Reactions: Swallow Tail