EPS/Epoxy Yellowing Question

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It didn't spread or pop up anywhere else but I offloaded it pretty quick.
Wasn't a fan of the LS build. My old Carbon Wrap was still bright white after 3 years of heavy use.
The old Carbon wraps I saw at my local were blotchy AF once the litespeed became in fashion.

seems to be hit or miss if you’re a victim of the blotches. I think thats what irks - for me.

Reactions: emmohl80

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah the liveliness and snap is what allures me. but that comes with sacrifice of dampening and stability at times
I think this is exactly why some of us are pretty excited about the feel of Varial builds. So far it’s my favorite alt build as it covers all those bases. I can’t really recall any wonky moments where it reacted oddly

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I briefly tried a lightspeed build in one of my favorite boards (RNF96) and absolutely hated it

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
I used to use Resin Research like One-Off is mentioning and it worked well. I didn't hold onto any of those boards past a few years though to see any long term effects, but they still looked good at the time.

I got a white board from xtr about 4-5 months back that still looks new at the moment so will see if anything has changed recently with his resin choice after his testing. Would of been nice to know which ones he tested. I've been going with color like others from him for a long time specifically because of the issue.

Yeah they clearly did something wrong with my board. When this video came out, I emailed them about my board with pics and to their credit, they at least offered me a coupon for $200 off my next board. But they wouldn't say what went wrong.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My Vietnam lightspeed looks great; 18 months and it gets used a fair bit especially in the Summer.

Cabron Warp has yellowed a bit; hasn't closed car baked, but by no means air-conditioned on the Mexi bus and the Mexi taxi roof and the Mexi airport tarmac. It feels stiffer than the lightspeed - I like it more.

Cooked the wax pattern into C4 but since the deck is painted it still looks pretty white.. At least I think I did maybe it was the previous owner but I failed on that board once and it car baked.

I'd still skip the color or get an extremely light color. I'd rather have an off-white board than one that catches heat.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I think this is exactly why some of us are pretty excited about the feel of Varial builds. So far it’s my favorite alt build as it covers all those bases. I can’t really recall any wonky moments where it reacted oddly
A thread about yellowing epoxies and no mention that Varial infused epoxy stay white as a ghost their entire life? Plasmic going on year 2 and looks brand new. I've ordered 2 more since lol.

dk

Kelly Slater status
Sep 14, 2003
Leucadia
Visit site
that's a little worse but pretty much what's going on with his
All epoxy yellows eventually. Normally way uglier than poly boards do. After a few months the UV stabilizers disappears. Some brands last longer than others. It can be from acetone still being present in the brush. This board pictured I believe is from the brand of epoxy because I have seen the same thing a few times when trying different materials out recently. I won’t name the brand here. It’s only cosmetic but I’m sure it’s still annoying when you pay a buncha money for a new board. Epoxy resin prices has skyrocketed the past few years so lots of shops are trying out alternative brands to tryn beat the price.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Anything coming from global surf industries China or Thailand yellows surprisingly fast

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I don’t get the obsession with yellowing boards. For some applications, epoxy is just better, be it pu, eps or whatever. Yellow fever is just the price of admission.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I don’t get the obsession with yellowing boards. For some applications, epoxy is just better, be it pu, eps or whatever. Yellow fever is just the price of admission.
The yellowing has mostly been resolved. There are some things I like about epoxy but the overarching issues are that epoxy is just very time consuming and temperamental compared to poly. I can glass, hotcoat and sand a poly board in a single day in my shed in shed temps from 40* to 100* and I don't have to be super picky about being meticulous about dust, sweat, containers, brushes, solvents and oils from hands contaminating things.

I can also do poly repairs in a snap. I do repairs for a few people and I turn them away most of the time if they bring me an epoxy board to fix. A repair I can do in an hour or less on a poly board has to be done in stages over the course of an entire day or sometimes two days on an epoxy board. Even with fast setting epoxy I prefer to give it quite a bit of time before sanding.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
The yellowing has mostly been resolved. There are some things I like about epoxy but the overarching issues are that epoxy is just very time consuming and temperamental compared to poly. I can glass, hotcoat and sand a poly board in a single day in my shed in shed temps from 40* to 100* and I don't have to be super picky about being meticulous about dust, sweat, containers, brushes, solvents and oils from hands contaminating things.

I can also do poly repairs in a snap. I do repairs for a few people and I turn them away most of the time if they bring me an epoxy board to fix. A repair I can do in an hour or less on a poly board has to be done in stages over the course of an entire day or sometimes two days on an epoxy board. Even with fast setting epoxy I prefer to give it quite a bit of time before sanding.
My comment was aimed more a guys that just buy boards. I’m not a big resale guy so it doesn’t matter how the board looks if it fvcis.

My 2 cents on building….I went from poly and MEKP to poly (and vinyl ester) with UV cure.
The fumes really ended up being prohibitive. I must have so much styrene in my blood to this day…and I wanted to play with eps and xps for foil boards.

I found that could easily finish a shorty in a day using KK. All the finicky problems were solved by using gloves, mixing in disposable picnic ware and weighing the mix.
I have pretty much only repaired poly boards with epoxy for the last few years too, and that has been fine….always put in boxes with epoxy too. Super quick and stronger in the end.

Reactions: Mr J