EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If you want to try to save the board then sweat it yourself the way I explained it. Once the core is dry it's like any other delam repair. If there's that much water in it then it'll take a while. That's why the shops are saying it's too much work - they don't want to have it sitting around their shop.

In the end, parts is parts.

With that said, part of our relationship with our boards is mental. If we believe in the board then that adds to the experience and if we're hating the board then that affects the experience, too. If you've already started a divorce with this board then there's probably no reconciliation with that lyin' whooore, so best to just move on to her younger and hotter replacement.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper and jkb

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
If you want to strip it, take a dremel and cut along the rail apex. Then you can peel the deck half and the bottom half off. If the bond sucks, which sounds likely, then it'll come off clean and the blank might be ok.

If it were a foam stain, it might've been a bad bond between that resin and the lam resin.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If you want to strip it, take a dremel and cut along the rail apex. Then you can peel the deck half and the bottom half off. If the bond sucks, which sounds likely, then it'll come off clean and the blank might be ok.

If it were a foam stain, it might've been a bad bond between that resin and the lam resin.
I may try that.

Will it just come off in big chunks?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
nothing is hopeless unless it's in a million pieces
throwing it away would be a waste
some kid willing to strip it let it dry and re-glass it will have a board shpaed by whom ever big name shaper has his name on the stringer.
the shape is the most important part of a board
the glass is just "protection"
with an aquarium pump some plastic sheeting, tape and a hose you could bag on some hobby balsa once stripped and then glass it with UV if you want.
you can do the same to suck the water out as with cotton to absorb the water
punch some holes on one side, and punch some holes on the other and suck the water out on the opposite side
they've been doing this with sailboards and surftechs since they started using epoxy "skinned" eps construction.
what are the dimensions?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
nothing is hopeless unless it's in a million pieces
throwing it away would be a waste
some kid willing to strip it let it dry and re-glass it will have a board shpaed by whom ever big name shaper has his name on the stringer.
the shape is the most important part of a board
the glass is just "protection"
with an aquarium pump some plastic sheeting, tape and a hose you could bag on some hobby balsa once stripped and then glass it with UV if you want.
you can do the same to suck the water out as with cotton to absorb the water
punch some holes on one side, and punch some holes on the other and suck the water out on the opposite side
they've been doing this with sailboards and surftechs since they started using epoxy "skinned" eps construction.
what are the dimensions?
You’re right.

I’m gonna drive over to harbor freight and get a Dremel and rip the glass off.

Reactions: sushipop

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I may try that.

Will it just come off in big chunks?
Sounds like the deck and bottom will peel off in a big sheet. The rails might be trickier and might pull some chunks, but not if the foam stain went out to the rails too. One way to know for sure.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If it were me I'd use a straight edge and a razor knife, not a dremel. Find the edge of the delam and tape off a rhomboid (no squared off corners and just keep tracing the line with your knife against the straight edge until you get through the glassing. Don't take off any more than you need to. I definitely wouldn't go after the rails unless you're committed to trashing the board and you want to take your final revenge. They're probably not leaking anyway.

After a certain point you want to make the repair part of the look of the board. To increase the adhesion of the repair patch against the foam you can ask the repair shop to add a layer of lightweight non-woven veil as the first layer against the foam with regular surf cloth over that. When veil gets wetted out it really grabs both the foam below and the cloth above it like a spider monkey.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
If it were me I'd use a straight edge and a razor knife, not a dremel. Find the edge of the delam and tape off a rhomboid (no squared off corners and just keep tracing the line with your knife against the straight edge until you get through the glassing. Don't take off any more than you need to. I definitely wouldn't go after the rails unless you're committed to trashing the board and you want to take your final revenge. They're probably not leaking anyway.

After a certain point you want to make the repair part of the look of the board.
I’m not sure it’s repairable.

The entire underside of the board is soft and covered in 1000 little pinholes letting water in.

Everything is fixable though.

Just like anything can be a dildo if you’re brave enough.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I actually fixed a huge delam once when I was in my teens.

My $75 board had a huge delam on the bottom. It was a beater. But, it was my beater and I wasn't one of those teens who had parents that would buy them new boards. If I wanted a surfboard then I had to pay for it myself.

I cut the entire delam out with an box cutter. Half of the bottom of the 7'0 board came off due to the delam. Since I was probably 14 and didn't have any money, I had to get creative. My parents weren't going to buy me fiberglass cloth and resin. I dug though my dad's garage and found an old jar of bondo that had probably been there for 10 years. I took it and spread it all over the open foam and blended it to the remaining glassing on the board. Sanded it smooth and it was good to go. I surfed it for a few more years without any problems.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Talked to shaper again.

can’t really make me one for at least 4-5 months since geographically we aren’t anywhere near each other.

The glass shop I dealt with doesn’t care even a little bit.

So basically I got a 1600.00 piece of garbage.

I feel sick to my stomach about being ripped off like this.

I’m currently between jobs too and to just lose 1600 bucks like this is just.....words can’t even really explain it.

But hey whatever. People are free to run their business how they want.

I feel for the shaper though since it’s the glassers fault in this situation and not his.

All around a bummer deal for the shaper and for me. But life goes on and we got our health

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You would be "Labeled" by some here and in the "Industry" as" Hard to Deal With" not being " Torlerant" as one of my shaper freinds put it , not being content with constant QC problems , Or "Suprises" on each batch ;-).
I know I would.

I got into it with some trades guys doing work on my house. They were pissed off at me that I actually expected them to complete the work according to their bid. I'm not sure when it became normal to try and pass off crappy work and think it's ok.

Reactions: bluemarlin04