EPS board turned scratchy and white then started sweating

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I would be calling both of them especially if shaper sent you to the glasser. Tell them to send you a check. I don’t think “hey I handed you blank brah not my problem” quite flys.
Look how sloppy the cut lap was. Compare that to my other boards where the laps are extremely clean and don’t have threads hanging.

Not the biggest issue but kind reflects on the job as a whole of cutting corners11BB0958-3A19-4A42-A237-B56936AC0C6B.jpeg

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
16159D4C-E0A4-475C-A1D3-41E6D9EDB58B.png8C32AF0D-D556-462B-9311-81ED8E46063F.png

Here are some close up pics I jus took.

Can see what look like pin holes where I am assuming water got in.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Well that adds a significant problem.

I got this board shaped specifically for a 6 month trip up to the mainland.

The Glasser is back in Hawaii.

On top of that- the Glasser charged me 800 bucks for this glass job. That’s just for the glass job.

Paid the shaper 750 and then shaper told me take to Glasser separately and the Glasser charged 800.00

Total for this board was 1550.00

I really liked the board and was Okay with spending that because it was a heavy glass job and I was planning on keeping the board forever.

Now I got a sweating paper weight.
I dont know anyone in Hawaii who charges these amounts - 750 for a shaped blank ? 800.00 for a glass job ?

Blank 65.00 - shaping 685.00 ?

800.00 for fine sand ?

Joe Demarco has gotten very good and can do the whole thing for half that , for you next board "Adventure" in Hawaii

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I dont know anyone in Hawaii who charges these amounts - 750 for a shaped blank ? 800.00 for a glass job ?

Blank 65.00 - shaping 685.00 ?

800.00 for fine sand ?

Joe Demarco has gotten very good and can do the whole thing for half that , for you next board "Adventure" in Hawaii

Honestly it was fine paying the shaper that. It’s an EPS blank and thick redwood stringer so the blank was more then 65.00 bucks.

I was hesitant to do the shaper/Glasser separate but figured it couldn’t be that bad.

They didn’t tell me the price of 800 for the glassing until after it was done and I was honestly not stoked at all on that but what was I going to do at that point? Not pay it?

I’ll never go this route ever again.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
5C685FDE-7CC8-4348-B4F4-5AD645A62B9E.jpeg

Look at this. Just sloppy. Not too mention the pin holes all over the glass.

Compare it to my Andreini or Davenport where the cut laps are clean and look good.

Like someone else said- sadly I think the board is done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The board is an 8'0.

It is leaking a ton of water out of the bottom and the top is already delaming.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Well that adds a significant problem.

I got this board shaped specifically for a 6 month trip up to the mainland.

The Glasser is back in Hawaii.

On top of that- the Glasser charged me 800 bucks for this glass job. That’s just for the glass job.

Paid the shaper 750 and then shaper told me take to Glasser separately and the Glasser charged 800.00

Total for this board was 1550.00

I really liked the board and was Okay with spending that because it was a heavy glass job and I was planning on keeping the board forever.

Now I got a sweating paper weight.
Holy Moly

The Shaper or Glasser or some combination need to make this right. Part of paying a premium is knowing the craftsmen stand behind their work. Proximity should be irrelevant at that price.

A few years back, I had a Florida shaper (legit craftsman) who had taken a shaped blank to a very reputable factory for glassing. Board came back with flaws (not shaper's fault). Shaper made it right. I've ordered at least four boards from the guy since. That's how it's supposed to work.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Holy Moly

The Shaper or Glasser or some combination need to make this right. Part of paying a premium is knowing the craftsmen stand behind their work. Proximity should be irrelevant at that price.

A few years back, I had a Florida shaper (legit craftsman) who had taken a shaped blank to a very reputable factory for glassing. Board came back with flaws (not shaper's fault). Shaper made it right. I've ordered at least four boards from the guy since. That's how it's supposed to work.
Yea.

I’m super bummed about this situation.

The board is just trash now. Leaking water out the bottom. Top delaming.

Would have rather just lit my money on fire or bought an electric bicycle.

I really liked this board too. Was planning on getting another.

1550.00 wasted. Ugh.

Sucks but that is life sometimes.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Have you tried talking to the shaper about it and his recommendation to go to this glasser?
Spoke to him briefly about it couple weeks ago. Spoke to Glasser too. Glasser said was heat damage. But doesn’t look or feel like it.

I’ll reach out again to the shaper. He was a cool guy.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Spoke to him briefly about it couple weeks ago. Spoke to Glasser too. Glasser said was heat damage. But doesn’t look or feel like it.

I’ll reach out again to the shaper. He was a cool guy.
I would.

I would also mention what the glasser charged you for that.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I don’t even really care about the board turning white.

I do care about the fact it is water logged. I just walked out and looked and it’s jus seeping water

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Sorry for your troubles.

Hind sight is always 20/20. Next time, if you're traveling and it's an 8ft board with a heavy stringer then there's no reason to use an EPS blank. If you get a ding while you're out on the road then the board turns into an anchor in 5 minutes flat.

I'd never do a dark color over EPS, either. Not unless I always kept it out of the sun except when I'm actually riding it (which maybe that's your plan). The dark colors just draw in more heat to an open cell core. If even a little moisture seeps in from a pinhole or a spot of open weave the additional heat basically boils it and converts it into steam that has nowhere to go but out. *Especially* if the board gets heated up by sitting out in the sun prior to being loaded into an unpressurized cargo hold of an aircraft.

For an 8ft travel board, epoxy over PU core will be a safe choice. They're not immune from the heat but the temperatures involved are a fair bit higher and they don't expand/contract as much as EPS. Plus, if you get a ding out on the road you can just tape it and deal with it later.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Thanks @GDaddy

It’s not really travel board. Just a board I got made to bring to the north east when I moved cause I was going to be wearing 6 mil suit.

Had I known all this I’d have never got this shaped or bought this. I had no way of knowing and having a Glasser seperate from the shaper left me trying to understand this on my own.

Now I’m left with a 1550.00 paperweight.

I’ll prob end up throwing it in the dumpster.

Just went out and looked at it. Entire thing is water logged. Bottom is sweating out water. Looks like a cup full of water with ice in it. The entire deck is delaminated and soft.

• Sad
Reactions: potato-nator

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Sorry for your loss. Really sorry. It's even worse when considering you paid a mondo premium for it. With that said, I think the board could be salvaged. Even the deck. It will never be the same, but it could turn out okay.

I don't have pics of them, but I've repaired a couple boards that were semi-buckled and had major water damage to the deck. I cut/strip the damaged portions of the deck glass off, sand down until I get to clean foam, then put a veneered deckpatch with reinforcement under and then sand/glass the entire deck with another layer of 4oz. Fill the weave on the deck but leave it raw except for the rails. Sand the bottom and reglass that with another layer of 4oz. The additional glassing will add maybe as much as 2# to the board but that's not necessarily sooo bad for an 8ft board. It's not like you were planning on doing any airs on it.

On boards with cracked/broken stringers I've routed in half-depth stringers on either side of the main stringer to reinforce it (like they do with longboard finboxes in stringerless blanks). On boards with heave water damage under foot I've even routed out the damaged foam and glued in a "plug" of clean foam (from an old donor board) to fill the cavity; shape that down and glass it. A couple times I've even used a heavier foam for the deck plug than the original blank.

A long time ago I had one midlength with an EPS core - several guys on this forum have surfed it - where I had some water damage. I dried it out to remove most of water and added another layer of 4oz to both the bottom to seal it. Then I added another layer to the deck because having surfed it a few times prior to the water damage I decided the board had been too light to begin with for what I was trying to do with it. The added weight actually made that particular board surf better. That may not apply to your board, but the point I'm making is to not rush to quickly to write the board off.