EPS Board has little bumps at laps

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Hope this is the right forum.

My new EPS longboard has a bunch of little bumps along the rail and at the lap lines. It was glassed heavy maybe that is why the bumps are there?

If you run your hand down the rail it feels like sandpaper for a good 2 ft portion of the rail. If you look close there is a bunch of little bumps all along it. Tiny ones. only on the rail and at the lap lines.

Should I tell the builder or live with it? It was an expensive board custom made for me.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Oh, come on man. Customs are the best.

Your shaper put those bumps on the rail for a reason.

He obviously knows what’s better for you than you do.

I’d just live with. Besides, if you say something your next board will take twice as long to get made.

Can’t get those custom rail bumps from OTR boards.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Duffy said:
Can’t get those custom rail bumps from OTR boards.
Thats true. Cant get them from OTR but they do always come with their own sets of problems...primarily since I am so heavy I break them in half fairly quick

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would be worried and take back show sign of bad glass job and eps prep for glassing. This is why all my eps/epoxy boards are all Stretch only one I trust. Recently I got a long board done pu/epoxy with heavy glass job (6/6 6 sglass) and tint and it came out perfect and strong as hell.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
rowjimmytour said:
I would be worried and take back show sign of bad glass job and eps prep for glassing. This is why all my eps/epoxy boards are all Stretch only one I trust. Recently I got a long board done pu/epoxy with heavy glass job (6/6 6 sglass) and tint and it came out perfect and strong as hell.
EPS is apparently difficult to glass properly after talking with some people.

The board came out good and I like it. Similiar to you I got it done with 6/6/4 S Glass top and 6/6 S Glass bottom.

Someone mentioned to me the small bubbles came from dust or air trapped between the S glass laps because S glass is harder to saturate properly.

I spent alot of money on this board (1500.00) so I kind of expect good quality.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Problem is the board was made on Maui and glassed at the shapers shop. I am on oahu. I may contact him to let him know about it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Greg Griffin said:
One factory , Ron Maize , Joe Demarco gave me consistent quality doing epoxy .

Sometimes long wait times but consistent , except for Joe who did them usually in 2 weeks.

No flaws
Hi Greg.

As a shaper. What would you do in this situation if I approached you after you shaped me a board and there was a problem with the glass job?

What do you recommend I do?

I like the guy and was happy with his shape. Just seems there is a 1 foot section of my rail with a bunch of little bubbles.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
is it possible the sander just missed a spot? how 'deep' are the bumps?

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
IF it "feels" like sand paper, it sounds like exposed weave. I'd have to see pictures to be sure. Especially if it is S glass, if the sander hit it while sanding, it will feel rough/scratchy.

If it is lumps in the deck, it may be the guy grinding the laps didn't get them flat during the lam. Less of an issue, unless sanded through. Again, can't say without seeing it.

Sometimes, if the fine sanding doesn't get all the scratches out, you can feel rough spots. especially towards the nose, where the pads don't fit the curve so well, leaving choppy marks/spots.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
yeah call him and tell him. maybe he'll give u a free set of fins or something

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
twinzerfan said:
IF it "feels" like sand paper, it sounds like exposed weave. I'd have to see pictures to be sure. Especially if it is S glass, if the sander hit it while sanding, it will feel rough/scratchy.

If it is lumps in the deck, it may be the guy grinding the laps didn't get them flat during the lam. Less of an issue, unless sanded through. Again, can't say without seeing it.

Sometimes, if the fine sanding doesn't get all the scratches out, you can feel rough spots. especially towards the nose, where the pads don't fit the curve so well, leaving choppy marks/spots.
There’s just a bunch of tiny dots. It’s not the weave that you can feel. Just a bunch of tiny zits in the actual epoxy. It’s on the rail and On the lap on the deck

I had to get a dinged fixed on it and they said it was just how the resin cured.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Colin said:
ko25ok said:
Problem is the board was made on Maui and glassed at the shapers shop. I am on oahu. I may contact him to let him know about it.
Ebert?
If I recall, Ebert is on Westside, Kauai.

It’s not him. And I really like the shaper and think he’s a solid dude so I’d prefer to not say.

The board is epic and surfs incredible too. Just has these strange dots on it.

Nov 5, 2018
East Coast
If its zits in the epoxy that is called Fish Eyes and comes from impurities either on the board or in the air when you hotcoat. Absolutely the most annoying part about glassing epoxy in my experience. I don't think they are a big deal other than cosmetic as long as you can't feel the weave and its water tight. I'd send a picture to the shaper just so he can check it out. At first I thought they didn't grind the laps flat during lamination but sort of sounds like an issue with the hotcoat

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ko25ok said:
twinzerfan said:

There’s just a bunch of tiny dots... Just a bunch of tiny zits in the actual epoxy.
Herpes. It's herpes. Your new surfboard has herpes.