Epoxy over PU (Epoly, Etech, etc)

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
What are people's experiences with epoxy resin over a PU blank?

I've seen this construction mentioned in passing but it doesn't seem all that popular. R. is pushing it pretty heavily calling it Epoly, I've seen someone else post some boards from Earth Technologies that are epoxy over PU. I imagine you could probably get any shaper that makes EPS/Epoxy boards to do it for you.

So whats the deal? All the benefits of epoxy with none of the drawbacks of EPS? Good for grovelers or step-ups or all of the above? None of the above? Go!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've had an E.Poly from R.

It's just as bad as their standard PU construction and I would advise against.

I've had a lot of boards in this construction from other guys too that was very good. I would say if your access to decent surfboards is limited (area you live, cost, whatever) it's worth it. Basically you're getting a feel that's pretty much indiscernible from PU with a slightly studier glass job if done right.

Reactions: Havoc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
All my MC shaped bonzers I went epoxy over PU with S glass. My AO has 6/4 6 and my ewing mini log has 6/6 6 both holding up great after over year+. If you want a strong and also light board go CFT with Stretch works for all grovel, DD, hpsh, and step up semi gun etc.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I've had an E.Poly from R.

It's just as bad as their standard PU construction and I would advise against.

I've had a lot of boards in this construction from other guys too that was very good. I would say if your access to decent surfboards is limited (area you live, cost, whatever) it's worth it. Basically you're getting a feel that's pretty much indiscernible from PU with a slightly studier glass job if done right.
lol I take it you're not a fan of R., duly noted.

I guess that's what I'm looking for - feel like PU but more durability. It's not really a question of access it's more like if you're spending $700 on a board what's another $50 for something that's going to last a lot longer?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have a R blackbird in Epoly. It feels very "normal" on the wave. But I am not noticing particular durability benefits. For only using it a handful of times it does have quite a few pressure indents on the deck.

Reactions: Havoc and ehiunno

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I had my e-poly R. twin fin sans board bag in the bed of a truck, on a bouncy dirt road in Punta Mita, and it only came out with 1 hairline crack on a rail. Still seemed watertight, but I put a sticker on it just in case. YMMV.
Mine's glassed 4+4/4 and it feels like a slightly heavier glassed PU.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've had really good boards from them and really bad boards.

Construction wise they're pretty bad and typically well on the road to being a golfball after a few surfs.
Have had 5(?) Rusty boards over the last few years. Construction and QC has always been top notch. Much stronger than CI and Lost boards over that same period.

Mine were always OTR, mainly from their clearance rack. Pu/pe construction.

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
only two bores from rusty in recent years and haven't owned long enough to give a complete assessment but they seem solid and fit/finish is top notch.

Reactions: oeste858

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
Never had a Rusty (not popular here), but I've had a few PU/epoxy boards. I had two from a local shaper (Aido) and another two or three from Hayden which were made in the Mona Vale factory. Note that Hayden does loads of PU/Epoxy boards - it's pretty much his thing apart from the future flex ones.

In my experience, PU/epoxy slightly more lively flex and a little better durability than PU/PE, all other things being equal.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I appreciate everyone's input here, thanks.

Perhaps to keep this from turning into a thread specifically about R. quality, I'll ask another question.

If epoxy/PU doesn't come with any significant disadvantages, why have shapers tended to put epoxy over EPS blanks? Why use EPS at all?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I appreciate everyone's input here, thanks.

Perhaps to keep this from turning into a thread specifically about R. quality, I'll ask another question.

If epoxy/PU doesn't come with any significant disadvantages, why have shapers tended to put epoxy over EPS blanks? Why use EPS at all?
Reusable and after Clark shutdown needed something new. If you try a experienced eps shaper like Stretch you would feel no disadvantages regardless of wave size or wind and only advantages.

Reactions: ehiunno

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
If you try a experienced eps shaper like Stretch you would feel no disadvantages regardless of wave size or wind and only advantages.
have had probably 10 different stretches

durability wise stretch cft are great but i disagree about his eps boards in general feeling as good as poly in heavy water and chop. they are definitely lighter than their poly counterparts and less dense. no dampening like poly but instead exacerbate bump on the face.

i will say that my buzzgun with a gun weight eps blank and glass the sh!t out it epoxy schedule feels really good regardless of conditions. but his standard weight boards... only in clean conditions thank you

stretch was doing epoxy over poly core guns a few years back but he stopped offering it. no idea why, accept maybe that he wasnt digging the process

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think in some cases there is a stronger/lighter marketing aspect to EPS.

Also it is hard enough to explain to surfers epoxy is not a foam but a resin.

Explaining it can be used on EPS or PU is like trying to explain string theory to a preschooler.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
have had probably 10 different stretches

durability wise stretch cft are great but i disagree about his eps boards in general feeling as good as poly in heavy water and chop. they are definitely lighter than their poly counterparts and less dense. no dampening like poly but instead exacerbate bump on the face.

i will say that my buzzgun with a gun weight eps blank and glass the sh!t out it epoxy schedule feels really good regardless of conditions. but his standard weight boards... only in clean conditions thank you

stretch was doing epoxy over poly core guns a few years back but he stopped offering it. no idea why, accept maybe that he wasnt digging the process
Always get medium CFT and never had issue chatter or off shore winds etc but yes its not PU feel for me its better. And last year got a 2x4 step up CFT but went heavy just because possible travel and who cares go straight in tube and still lighter then PU/PE. I can not wait to try my mid length IT in medium CFT to see if it has nice glide like my past PU boards.