End of an Era

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Guy surfs as good as he ever did, perhaps even better.

my favorite clips of him are at that beach break in the beginning. Such a crazy wave.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm kind of surprised Billabong dropped him with his level of surfing still so high.

I'm also kind of not surprised considering the current sponsorship environment.

Sounds like he's been smart and invested in other things besides surfing.

But to a broader point, I hope this current trend of companies dropping surf sponsorships continues.

Less B-grade pros surfing all day because they have to get real jobs.

Fewer homeschool kids chasing a career in surfing.

Hopefully it all leads to less crowded lineups, but perhaps that's just a pipe dream on my part.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
If Taj Burrow come along in any other time than Slater generation, he would be 4x world champ. He charges huge waves also. A class act.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii

Hopefully it all leads to less crowded lineups, but perhaps that's just a pipe dream on my part.
We can dream.

At least other failed athletes usually had to get through high school and part of college.

Reactions: jkb

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If Taj Burrow come along in any other time than Slater generation, he would be 4x world champ. He charges huge waves also. A class act.
Wasn’t there some issue he had with some judges where they conspired to keep him from winning a title?

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
But to a broader point, I hope this current trend of companies dropping surf sponsorships continues.

B grade pro’s that work QS I can see. I’ll never understand why companies sponsor and pay local C,D & E grade “pros" that can’t really make it outside of their local break talent wise To rep their company when they would probably do it for free, while supporting local surf shops in the process.

Reactions: jkb