Empathy sucks

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
What I don't understand is why bring up a mental disorder in a discussion about empathy?
My take would be that a discussion of hyper-empathy syndrome in a discussion about empathy would be rather relevant to the discussion.

I have a friend I grew up with that is a true sociopath. I know how to deal with it, I know how far I can trust him, and I know his limitations. He's aware of the situation and he has tried to take steps to mitigate it. "I know I'm not right in the head bro." It's kind of sad. But by the same token, it must be incredibly liberating. I've watched him over the decades and marveled at what he can do with no conscience/guilt/remorse. Doesn't give a fvck sometimes. Some people say they don't give a fvck, he just doesn't. It's pure.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
But again, empathy is not that.

You're talking about a mental disorder.
Empathy holds the same danger as hyper-empathy

Stoic reason without empathy holds an equal, yet opposite danger

There has to be a balance

For example, stealing freedom from billions so thousands might not die is not balanced

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
But again, empathy is not that.

You're talking about a mental disorder.
Yes. Hyper-empathy syndrome has been called a mental disorder. It's obviously related to empathy. It's empathy taken to an unhealthy extreme. :shrug:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My take would be that a discussion of hyper-empathy syndrome in a discussion about empathy would be rather relevant to the discussion.

I have a friend I grew up with that is a true sociopath. I know how to deal with it, I know how far I can trust him, and I know his limitations. He's aware of the situation and he has tried to take steps to mitigate it. "I know I'm not right in the head bro." It's kind of sad. But by the same token, it must be incredibly liberating. I've watched him over the decades and marveled at what he can do with no conscience/guilt/remorse. Doesn't give a fvvk sometimes. Some people say they don't give a fvvk, he just doesn't. It's pure.
It is relevant, but why has a pathology become the focus of this thread? To be empathetic is one of our greatest traits.

I was in a relationship with someone like that. She was aware that she was fcked up and knew what she did and how it affected people. Was in analysis 4 days a week and on antipsychotic medication but couldn't stop herself and wasn't very interested in trying to. One of the smartest people I've ever met and had a truly magical quality about her, but she had an evil side that was bottomless:eek:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Time for the dictionary.

Websters

What is the difference between empathy and compassion?
Some of our users are interested in the difference between empathy and compassion. Compassion is the broader word: it refers to both an understanding of another’s pain and the desire to somehow mitigate that pain:
Our rationalizations for lying (or withholding the truth)—"to protect her," "he could never handle it”—come more out of cowardice than compassion.
— Eric Utne, Utne Reader, November/December 1992
Sometimes compassion is used to refer broadly to sympathetic understanding:
Nevertheless, when Robert Paxton's "Vichy France" appeared in a French translation in 1973, his stark and devastating description ... was rather badly received in France, where many critics accused this scrupulous and thoughtful young historian either of misinterpreting the Vichy leaders' motives or of lacking compassion.
— Stanley Hoffmann, The New York Times Book Review, 1 Nov. 1981
Empathy refers to the ability to relate to another person’s pain vicariously, as if one has experienced that pain themselves:
For instance, people who are highly egoistic and presumably lacking in empathy keep their own welfare paramount in making moral decisions like how or whether to help the poor.
— Daniel Goleman, The New York Times, 28 Mar. 1989
"The man thought all this talk was fine, but he was more concerned with just getting water. And, if I was going to be successful on this mission, I had to remember what his priorities were. The quality you need most in United Nations peacekeeping is empathy."
— Geordie Elms, quoted in MHQ: The Quarterly Journal of Military History, Autumn 1992
In some cases, compassion refers to both a feeling and the action that stems from that feeling:
Compassion, tenderness, patience, responsibility, kindness, and honesty are actions that elicit similar responses from others.
— Jane Smiley, Harper’s, June 2000
while empathy tends to be used just for a feeling:
She is also autistic, a disability that she argues allows her a special empathy with nonhuman creatures.
— Tim Flannery, The New York Review of Books, 29 April 2009

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Time for the dictionary.

Websters

What is the difference between empathy and compassion?
Some of our users are interested in the difference between empathy and compassion. Compassion is the broader word: it refers to both an understanding of another’s pain and the desire to somehow mitigate that pain:

Sometimes compassion is used to refer broadly to sympathetic understanding:

Empathy refers to the ability to relate to another person’s pain vicariously, as if one has experienced that pain themselves:

In some cases, compassion refers to both a feeling and the action that stems from that feeling:

while empathy tends to be used just for a feeling:
So was the response to Covid that ifall is referring to more empathetic or compassionate?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
It is relevant, but why has a pathology become the focus of this thread? To be empathetic is one of our greatest traits.

I was in a relationship with someone like that. She was aware that she was fcked up and knew what she did and how it affected people. Was in analysis 4 days a week and on antipsychotic medication but couldn't stop herself and wasn't very interested in trying to. One of the smartest people I've ever met and had a truly magical quality about her, but she had an evil side that was bottomless:eek:
I'd say the pathology has become a focus largely because of the resistance to the concept. Accept it and move on. Just about any quality/trait can be taken to an unhealthy extreme.

Yeah, the person I am talking about is extremely talented in a number of things. He'd have been far more successful/well-known if he had been able to reign himself in. I've told him this. He gets it. But by the same token it's like he just can't stop himself. When we were younger I fully remember wondering what it must be like. Jewish mothers have nothing on my Norwegian mother. Guilt and shame are my middle names. ;) Imagine all of that gone. How freeing. Although it did seem to catch up with him eventually. sh!t seems to stack up as you age doesn't it?

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
So was the response to Covid that ifall is referring to more empathetic or compassionate?
I think you are splitting hairs.

Websters again.

Synonyms & Near Synonyms for empathy <---------------

Reactions: Ifallalot

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I'd say the pathology has become a focus largely because of the resistance to the concept. Accept it and move on. Just about any quality/trait can be taken to an unhealthy extreme.

Yeah, the person I am talking about is extremely talented in a number of things. He'd have been far more successful/well-known if he had been able to reign himself in. I've told him this. He gets it. But by the same token it's like he just can't stop himself. When we were younger I fully remember wondering what it must be like. Jewish mothers have nothing on my Norwegian mother. Guild and shame are my middle names. ;) Imagine all of that gone. How freeing. Although it did seem to catch up with eventually. sh!t seems to stack up as you age doesn't it?
That seems to be the nature of sh!t.

In some ways, I was jealous of how she can act so freely, with no shame or guilt, and do whatever she wants, but I think that is another lie to herself. Having to be always trying to run away from the sht you create and when the amber strawberry locks are turning snow white at 34 tick tock tick. Time is the ultimate bitch.

Reactions: Sharky

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Empathy holds the same danger as hyper-empathy

Stoic reason without empathy holds an equal, yet opposite danger

There has to be a balance

For example, stealing freedom from billions so thousands might not die is not balanced
I like how you talk about balance but then go into a narcissistic rant. You are incapable of ANY empathy. Zero.

"Steeling freedom"? :roflmao:
What freedom of yours have been stolen, that was worth killing off millions of others to prevent it?

Narcissism is way more damaging to others than hyper-empathy as evident from your insane posts.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
stealing freedom from billions so thousands might not die is not balanced
The current estimate is over 6 million deaths globally.

The primary emotional reaction to a deadly virus is fear, and that being the case, plus the news media's penchant for delivering scary headlines, people would act on their fear regardless of what freedoms any government would try to steal. Fewer would go to work, shop, drive, or dine at Applebee's, and economies would take a hit.

Or do you know of a way to make people not be afraid of a deadly virus? Should governments seize control of the media, for instance? Talk about stealing freedom.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

I have a friend I grew up with that is a true sociopath. I know how to deal with it, I know how far I can trust him, and I know his limitations. He's aware of the situation and he has tried to take steps to mitigate it. "I know I'm not right in the head bro." It's kind of sad. But by the same token, it must be incredibly liberating. I've watched him over the decades and marveled at what he can do with no conscience/guilt/remorse. Doesn't give a fvvk sometimes. Some people say they don't give a fvvk, he just doesn't. It's pure.
A functioning sociopath can be a valuable member of the tribe.

If you can cultivate a sense of fair-mindedness, not caring would be better.

They say, sociopaths make good special forces and dentists.

I knew guys who could cheat on the girl friends without a second thought.

I want to fuck all the girls too but I feel bad when I cheat.

Really bad.

The key with sociopath friends is keep them away from your money and your girls.

Then it's fine