Electrolyte supplement

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
So it's hot as heck and I can not stay hydrated

Drinking at least 1 gallon of water a day , some fruit juice ( fresh not store bought ) , and I still get crazy cramps and feel fatiuged.

Any ideas 4 me ?

Thank u

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
retodd said:
So it's hot as heck and I can not stay hydrated

Drinking at least 1 gallon of water a day , some fruit juice ( fresh not store bought ) , and I still get crazy cramps and feel fatiuged.

Any ideas 4 me ?

Thank u
Do you work outside someplace inland all day long where you are literally drenched in sweat the entire day?
Are you training for a marathon or something similar?
Do you try to avoid consuming sodium or potassium?

If not, how are you so sure the source of the cramping and fatigue is electrolyte depletion?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
yes i work outside , its been super hot and pretty much i am a puddle of sweat for at least 6 hours

i eat tons of good food and stay hydrated ,,, so i was thinking it is prolly a good idea to look into supplements

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's all kinds of journal-published research on this topic. Fuzzy results.

A quality electrolyte supplement may or may not solve the cramping problem.

http://aqualyte.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Occupational-Heat-Exposure-Review-Part-1.pdf

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Eat more bananas.

Try adding some coconut water to the water you're already drinking. Something like 75% water, 25% coconut water.

To keep cooler, strap a flexible icepack to the back of your neck.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
crush magnesium tablets, add salt, and mix with a small amount of hot water to dilute and then add ice and cold water and you have homemade electrolyte drink.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I was getting really bad cramps from running a chainsaw all day in the sun when clearing my home site this spring. One of the equipment operators told me to take a shot of pickle juice if I feel like I'm starting to cramp up. I was skeptical of this redneck voodoo but I tried it and the sh!t totally worked.

Apparently there's been studies on it and it's not totally without merit. Pickle juice is super high in sodium and potassium compared to an energy drink and there's also the vinegar component triggering the brain and stopping the malfunctioning muscles. Or something like that.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
pedialyte or coconut water or electrolyte replacement packs.
gatorade is mostly sugar.

add in magnesium; often overlooked electrolyte. 400mg daily

takes ALOT of bananas to matter.

and stretch; as Casa said; may not be electrolyte

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i
...the "electrolyte depletion" and "dehydration" hypotheses do not offer plausible pathophysiological mechanisms with supporting scientific evidence that could adequately explain the clinical presentation and management of EAMC. Scientific evidence for the "altered neuromuscular control" hypothesis is based on evidence from research studies in human models of muscle cramping, epidemiological studies in cramping athletes, and animal experimental data. Whilst it is clear that further evidence to support the "altered neuromuscular control" hypothesis is also required, research data are accumulating that support this as the principal pathophysiological mechanism for the aetiology of EAMC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18981039

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Quick update

I was definitely overworking myself in the heat. Got some vitamins and electrolytes + a nice vaction = no more cramps

Gonna try some pickle juice for sure when I get home

psychophant

Miki Dora status
Jun 25, 2011
Hawai'i
retodd said:
Quick update

I was definitely overworking myself in the heat. Got some vitamins and electrolytes + a nice vaction = no more cramps

Gonna try some pickle juice for sure when I get home
Are you sure it wasn't Pokemon that did it?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
found a 12 pack of this stuff at the lihue costco when i was there and haven't seen it since
but i liked how it felt after a session better than coconut water
although they say green tes is the way to go.

https://wtrmlnwtr.com/product

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Cramps, everyone has a "cure" but the cramps still never go away. Makes you wonder. It's almost purely mechanical. Why, if the "electrolytes" are imbalanced, don't other muscles cramp? Cramps often in the calf due to pure mechanics. Large fat soft muscle with long skinny tendon. Microtears and other injury/inflammatory insults leads to neuromuscular endplate firing...the muscle tightens up...

Rub it, gently stretch it...wait...until it doesn't lock up. I've had 'em...yep it hurts. Hard to prevent. Some people get 'em more than others. That's the story.