Electric vehicle fuel

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
We bought a new Honda Insight in 2001, first model was 1999.

We bought for mileage (50+ mpg) as it was a commuter car for the wife, and she kind of thought it was a "cute" little M&M peanut of a car. I went along with it, but it was a bit spooky at times on windy days.

It still had/has among the highest average mileage of any hybrid since. 2 or 3 might be a tad better on mileage out of dozens now available. It was built for mileage, by using all aluminum, plastic and very light. Too light we found while driving on the freeway during Santa Ana's, passing or being passed by a big rig. It swerved from cross-winds noticeably.

Hybrids have come a long way since, but even 20 years later, the highest mileage hybrids still only get a bit over 52-54 mpg at best.

I have no doubts EV batteries, range and charging availability will improve, but how much and how soon is widely debated.
Lithium batteries can only get so much smaller, without losing range.

We're still going to need ICE vehicles for some decades to come. I don't see affordability of EV's in the mid-level range and above coming down anytime soon. Only EV's that will be "affordable" are the little glorified golf carts that have already bombed out in popularity, due to their minimalist configs.

So adaptation will be a long slow process, and will be long after 2035 before we even get half the population on EV's.
Apartment renters, and people that don't have a garage to park every night will need to charge elsewhere, unless they install charging stations all over like parking meters. Will the power grid be ready for that in 10-12 years? I hope so, but like most government transportation programs, twice as long at 4x the predicted price. Look at the Bullet Train to nowhere in CA for prime example of gov program in "progress".

Hybrids are the best bet for the near term (10-20 years) until we see how well the infrastructure for EV's plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and hammies

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

We bought for mileage (50+ mpg) as it was a commuter car for the wife, and she kind of thought it was a "cute" little M&M peanut of a car. I went along with it, but it was a bit spooky at times on windy days.

It still had/has the highest average mileage of any hybrid since. 2 or 3 might be a tad better on mileage out of dozens now available. It was built for mileage, by using all aluminum, plastic and very light. Too light we found while driving on the freeway during Santa Ana's, passing or being passed by a big rig. It swerved from cross-winds noticeably.

Hybrids have come a long way since, but even 20 years later, the highest mileage hybrids still only get a bit over 52-54 mpg at best.

I have no doubts EV batteries, range and charging availability will improve, but how much and how soon is widely debated.

We're still going to need ICE vehicles for some decades to come. I don't see affordability of EV's in the mid-level range and above coming down anytime soon. Only EV's that will be "affordable" are the little glorified golf carts that have already bombed out in popularity, due to their minimalist configs.

So adaptation will be a long slow process, and will be long after 2035 before we even get half the population on EV's.
Apartment renters, and people that don't have a garage to park every night will need to charge elsewhere, unless they install charging stations all over like parking meters. Will the power grid be ready for that in 10-12 years? I hope so, but like most government transportation programs, twice as long at 4x the predicted price. Look at the Bullet Train to nowhere in CA for prime example of gov program in "progress".

Hybrids are the best bet for the near term (10-20 years) until we see how well the infrastructure for EV's plays out.
And we'll still have millions of ICE vehicles on the road in 2035.

Nobody has said otherwise. In fact, there are roughly 275,000,000 cars in the US. Last year there were 3.4 million new cars sold. You can do the math on how long total replacement will take, even if all 50 states ban new ICE sales in 2035.

Affordability will come with adoption. The more accessible charging becomes, the more people will buy, the more affordable cars will become.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
When that law was passed there were a lot of screeching headlines "CA bans gas powered cars". Most people with double-digit IQs don't actually read anything but the headlines.
The inferiority complex that other states have towards CA never stops being hilarious.

Well, except when they transplant here.

We need a wall. :unsure:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
EV fires are a known problem, particularly when charging, supposedly. Very hot and next to impossible to extinguish for hours.

Here's one answer to alleviate the fears of parking garages, let alone your home parking garage.....

https://fireisolator.com/the-danger-of-an-ev-car-fire-in-garages/

Many urban parking garages have banned certain suspect EV's.

These don't happen frequently, but kind of spooky that they can just start crackling just sitting there, even if not charging.

Any damage or flaw in the battery casing or charging setup, can be a weak spot to ignite.
A simple short somewhere could be all that it takes.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
These don't happen frequently, but kind of spooky that they can just start crackling just sitting there, even if not charging.

Any damage or flaw in the battery casing or charging setup, can be a weak spot to ignite.
1 Agree that EV cars do not catch on fire as often as other car types.

2 Turns out hybrids are the worst...which makes sense once one considers it has both set of risk factors: gas and batteries.

Link

blurb:

Electric cars have been subject to several high-profile recalls over fire risk. Yet, a new study shows they are less likely to cause a vehicle fire than either gas-powered cars or hybrid vehicles.

Analysts from AutoInsuranceEZ examined data from the National Transportation Safety Board to track the number of car fires and compared it to sales data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The result? Hybrid-powered cars were involved in about 3,475 fires per every 100,000 sold. Gasoline-powered cars, about 1,530. Electric vehicles (EVs) saw just 25 fires per 100,000 sold.

There is some logic to the results. After all, gasoline-powered cars depend on combustion to move. The energy transfer electric cars use to move doesn’t involve anything burning.

Researchers also tallied fire-related recalls filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2020. Gasoline-powered cars were subject to far more recalls for fire risk. EVs came in second and hybrids were a distant third that year. However, we should caution that limiting recall research to 2020 means the analysts missed most of last year’s escalating series of Chevy Bolt fire recalls.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
EV fires are a known problem, particularly when charging, supposedly. Very hot and next to impossible to extinguish for hours.

Here's one answer to alleviate the fears of parking garages, let alone your home parking garage.....

https://fireisolator.com/the-danger-of-an-ev-car-fire-in-garages/

Many urban parking garages have banned certain suspect EV's.

Yeah ICE cars never catch fire.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

It still had/has among the highest average mileage of any hybrid since. 2 or 3 might be a tad better on mileage out of dozens now available. It was built for mileage, by using all aluminum, plastic and very light. Too light we found while driving on the freeway during Santa Ana's, passing or being passed by a big rig. It swerved from cross-winds noticeably.

I had somewhat analogous reservations about personal computing and the internet around 1992.

I scoffed at the first people I saw standing around talking on cell phones,