Electric vehicle drivers to get reamed!

thrillkicker

Nep status
Mar 16, 2009
:foreheadslap:

Owners of all-electric vehicles in Illinois (the Obama state!) may get a huge shock to the wallet — thanks to a proposed $1,000 annual registration fee.

The proposed hike is more than 57 times the current yearly fee of $17.50 for electric vehicle owners in the state.

It’s part of proposed legislation that also targets the owners of gas-fueled vehicles to help fund $2.4 billion in projects such as roadway improvement.

Under the bill, the state’s gas tax would jump from 19 cents a gallon to 44 cents and the cost of standard vehicle registration would increase from $98 to $148, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Those who drive hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids wouldn’t have to pay the higher registration fee involving all-electric vehicles, according to Chicago state Sen. Martin Sandoval, a Democrat who introduced the legislation earlier this week.

“Capital bills in Springfield are like the second coming of the cicadas — every 10 years — and that’s not the way to go in regards to funding our infrastructure,” Sandoval said, according to NPR Illinois. “This is a transformational model. And hopefully, when we get done with passing this sustainable capital bill, we won’t have to have another press conference like this 10 years from now.”

But Tesla owner Nicoletta Skarlatos of Chicago said the idea is simply “unfair,” even counting the $7,500 in federal incentives and $4,000 in state ones she received when she bought her Model S in 2014.

“It’s outrageous,” Skarlatos told the newspaper. “I thought Illinois was progressive and would want to encourage EV [electric vehicle] ownership.”

Had she known about the potential massive registration hike looming years down the road, Skarlatos said, she wouldn’t have purchased her vehicle.

“This is going to make people not want to buy EVs,” she said.

A spokeswoman for Tesla told The Post on Friday that the company does not support the fee increase.

Jeremy Acevedo, an analyst with the auto research firm Edmunds, told the Tribune that the proposed fee could dramatically slow sales of electric vehicles, which eclipsed 200,000 last year in the United States — or about 2 percent of all sales.

“Every automaker has broadcast loud and clear that the future of automotive is autonomous and electric,” Acevedo told the Tribune. “Certainly, going from $17.50 to $1,000 in terms of registration isn’t going to move the needle in the direction the industry is hoping.”

:roflmao:

Wheelhouse

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 13, 2013
Its about to happen in Kalifornia. Tax per mile. High registration fees.

Road maintenance is paid by gas taxes. High mpg and electric dont contribute much or zero

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Wheelhouse said:

Road maintenance is paid by gas taxes. High mpg and electric dont contribute much or zero
I think that a user pays system based on mileage across the board is the right answer here

it would be proportional and fair

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

I think that a user pays system based on mileage across the board is the right answer here

Yeah, it is really a much better way to do things

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

Also the weight of the vehicle.

More miles + more weight = more wear and tear on the road = higher tax

We all know that tax and other incentives have to end eventually.

Like that one time when single person Priuses were allowed in carpool lanes. lol

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

Like that one time when single person Priuses were allowed in carpool lanes. lol
Glad to see you guys understand why it is good the net neutrality legislation went away as well :dancing:

However, don't trucks already pay a higher registration fee?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

Glad to see you guys understand why it is good the net neutrality legislation went away as well :dancing:

Another bad analogy and no, trucks don't pay more.

How do you manage to be so wrong all the time.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

Net neutrality bad bcuz trump say sooooo

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
manbearpig said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

Net neutrality bad bcuz trump say sooooo
Yeah no.

Trump has no idea about net neutrality one way or another.

But keep trying for that unified theory!

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

Exactly right.

I was always under the impression that registration fees for trucks, since they have different, commercial license plates, were higher. I could be wrong

PS, just because you don't like an analogy doesn't make it bad

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:
Exactly right.

I was always under the impression that registration fees for trucks, since they have different, commercial license plates, were higher. I could be wrong
Uh, nobody is talking about commercial trucks. Nice evasion though.

We are talking about taxing vehicles by weight. Right now that's not the case.

ifallalot said:
PS, just because you don't like an analogy doesn't make it bad
And this is why you're an idiot.

I called it a bad analogy because it's a bad analogy.

Dummy.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
REAL pick-up trucks DO pay more in registration, even when they get older they're still much more than similar aged automobiles.

We have a 2001 GMC 2500 HD longbed. The registration is STILL $350 for an almost 20 year old truck (value, maybe $7-8k)

I pay only $298 for a 2015 Acura RDX with a value of at least $25k.

I pay only $137 for a 2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe that used to be only $96 a few years ago, but recent new taxes jacked that back up.

REAL pick-ups and larger commercial trucks DO pay more in registration taxes in CA. Maybe weiny pick-ups pay less, but anything worthy of being something that can haul itself out its own way pays big.

But hey, in CA no tax is EVER too much. State needs more and more wherever they can scrape it. I still have a little money left over and that's not right. :dancing:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ifallalot said:
Glad to see you guys understand why it is good the net neutrality legislation went away as well dancing
I think that's an interesting analogy, but not entirely valid.

this idea doesn't force people to only drive on surface streets, or only in the far right lane on the freeway.

it just means you pay your way.

there isn't the same wear and tear on intertubes as roadways....capacity expansion is not as capital
intensive and the people who control the logistics networks do not also control the roadways.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Surfdog said:
REAL pick-up trucks DO pay more in registration, even when they get older they're still much more than similar aged automobiles.

We have a 2001 GMC 2500 HD longbed. The registration is STILL $350 for an almost 20 year old truck (value, maybe $7-8k)

I pay only $298 for a 2015 Acura RDX with a value of at least $25k.

I pay only $137 for a 2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe that used to be only $96 a few years ago, but recent new taxes jacked that back up.

REAL pick-ups and larger commercial trucks DO pay more in registration taxes in CA. Maybe weiny pick-ups pay less, but anything worthy of being something that can haul itself out its own way pays big.

But hey, in CA no tax is EVER too much. State needs more and more wherever they can scrape it. I still have a little money left over and that's not right. :dancing:
Thank you for confirming what I thought, and for proving Fekal to be an idiot like usual.

All trucks are commercial. The license plates are different

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
ifallalot said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

I'd be on board with a mileage tax system, but get rid of the gas tax.

Government hates paycuts and budgets.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
MaxKookage said:
ifallalot said:
afoaf said:
Wheelhouse said:

I'd be on board with a mileage tax system, but get rid of the gas tax.
I can assure you this will never happen.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
And for that very realistic reason is why I would never support the per mile tax. Although it makes more sense, we'd just end up double taxed to drive

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
It should be a flat rate to drive your car on the public streets.

Shouldn't matter how much it cost, but if you can afford a nicer vehicle, they'll ding you for it.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Don't look for the same type of taxes on home solar electricity. It would be difficult to tax people on what they produce themselves. However, look for solar tax subsidies to end along with regulations which dictate what electric companies must pay for excess home solar power. Hawaii did a study, and determined that the state and non-solar customers were being raped by these regs.

Hawaii implemented the first round of solar reversals .....coming to a state near you.