Electric Tripping

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I'm curious how the Ford Lightning does when hauling a load/trailer of 500-1000 pounds or more?

I know they have HUGE torque compared to ICE's, not unlike the slot cars of grom days in the 60's-70's.

But hauling a good size load with the A/C or heater blasting will compromise that range quite a bit, I would think?

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
are the ford hybrid twin turbo v6 engines in the f150 reliable?

wait, nevermind....
For the hybrid F150 you have to go with at least "KIng Ranch" trim = $63,000 minimum.

For the Lightning the extended range battery bumps the price up to $73,000. That's a lot for the extra 70 miles. Standard range base model is $42,000.

Tax credit for the Lightning is only if you're on the wait list. How do you get on the wait list? You can't get on the wait list. That's what a dealer told me. Orders closed until later this year when they open up for 2023. I'm afraid it's going to be like buying toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic.

When I asked if they had a Maverick on the lot to check out he said, "Oh, you mean the Unicorn?" I asked, "Is that what you guys call it? Why's that?" He replied, "Because no one around here has ever seen one."

:roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Day to day you won't notice. Road trips need some planning. Charging stations are coming on line everyday. Hopefully it won't be an issue for much longer. Also, I don't know how good Ford is at managing the charging while traveling thing. Teslas is perfect. They tell you where and how long you will need to be there including showing you how many plugs are open.
The other night we went to dinner in Culver City and the first two floors of the parking garage where we parked were Tesla Supercharger Stalls.

Some observations/questions…

1. This is inside of an unattended pay lot that has a gate and charges credit cards to exit. Do people with teslas who go there to charge have to pay the parking fees on top of whatever the cost of a charge is or does tesla have a way to validate their parking fees?

2. Of the 20 or so Teslas parked in these spots getting charged they were almost entirely occupied by people staring at their phones or their vehicle’s consoles clearly waiting for them to charge. What is the etiquette of EV/Tesla charging? Is it uncouth to leave your vehicle unattended whilst charging? I thought the whole idea is you can recharge it while parked.

3. For cars that essentially drive themselves I saw some astonishingly bad driving in the minute or two it took me to walk through that section of the lot. Terribly executed 3 point turns, a woman who needed three tries to back into a spot.

Reactions: Bud

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The other night we went to dinner in Culver City and the first two floors of the parking garage where we parked were Tesla Supercharger Stalls.

Some observations/questions…

1. This is inside of an unattended pay lot that has a gate and charges credit cards to exit. Do people with teslas who go there to charge have to pay the parking fees on top of whatever the cost of a charge is or does tesla have a way to validate their parking fees?

2. Of the 20 or so Teslas parked in these spots getting charged they were almost entirely occupied by people staring at their phones or their vehicle’s consoles clearly waiting for them to charge. What is the etiquette of EV/Tesla charging? Is it uncouth to leave your vehicle unattended whilst charging? I thought the whole idea is you can recharge it while parked.

3. For cars that essentially drive themselves I saw some astonishingly bad driving in the minute or two it took me to walk through that section of the lot. Terribly executed 3 point turns, a woman who needed three tries to back into a spot.
If you homestead on a spot Tesla will ding you with penalties.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I'm curious how the Ford Lightning does when hauling a load/trailer of 500-1000 pounds or more?

I know they have HUGE torque compared to ICU's, not unlike the slot cars of grom days in the 60's-70's.

But hauling a good size load with the A/C or heater blasting will compromise that range quite a bit, I would think?
ya think?

Jan 4, 2016
I read an article on the inter webs a few months ago. Thieves are targeting the more remote charging
stations, you pull low on juice, hook up your car. They roll up and rob you, make a getaway in their internal combustion conveyance.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I think in the future any smart gas station owner is simply gonna get the wiring upgrades to install a bank of car chargers in addition to pumps. Owner gets a cut of the juice just like he would for gas. Surprised there's not more of this now actually.

Observation: With our solar setup - which we just turned on - we paid, like $40K -- which was done via a home refi rather than a loan to the solar company --- don't do a solar loan bc then you have an added lien on your house. We'll get a SCarolina and Fed tax credit for around $20K of that total. Which is substantial. Means we won't pay income tax for the next couple of years and the practical cost of our solar set up is around $20K. Additionally our electric bill will be around $10-15 month for for the foreseeable future. We have paid up to $400 a month with ac blasting in August carolina heat. It's satisfying to watch our meter saying we're dumping power onto the grid. Strangely satisfying too knowing our little car's gas came from our roof. Puts me in a different headspace than when I'm driving the Transit.

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Maybe they already have ... not up to speed on the new EVs .... but surprised they haven't incorporated some type of solar panel on the vehicle to provide at least a trickle charge on extended trips etc.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think in the future any smart gas station owner is simply gonna get the wiring upgrades to install a bank of car chargers in addition to pumps. Owner gets a cut of the juice just like he would for gas. Surprised there's not more of this now actually.
People with Tesla money spending 10-15-20 minutes on premise = increased convenience store sales (where they actually make margin).

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Being done already.
It's a good 'trickle' add, but the amount of energy you get from a single panel that would fit on a car is tiny. 150-200 watts. The car's gonna take 14,000 watts to go 60mph. Interesting article on that here:

Reactions: flyinraptr

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Observation: With our solar setup - which we just turned on - we paid, like $40K -- which was done via a home refi rather than a loan to the solar company --- don't do a solar loan bc then you have an added lien on your house. We'll get a SCarolina and Fed tax credit for around $20K of that total. Which is substantial. Means we won't pay income tax for the next couple of years and the practical cost of our solar set up is around $20K. Additionally our electric bill will be around $10-15 month for for the foreseeable future. We have paid up to $400 a month with ac blasting in August carolina heat. It's satisfying to watch our meter saying we're dumping power onto the grid. Strangely satisfying too knowing our little car's gas came from our roof. Puts me in a different headspace than when I'm driving the Transit.
How many square feet of panel does it take to charge a car?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
It's a good 'trickle' add, but the amount of energy you get from a single panel that would fit on a car is tiny. 150-200 watts. The car's gonna take 14,000 watts to go 60mph. Interesting article on that here:
Yeah - that is an interesting article. For comparison .... solar system on my house ...

3 - 5kWh / 100Ah capacity Batteries
2 - 5KVA - 48V Inverters
16 - 385Wp solar panels
8 - 450Wp solar panels

Runs everything in the house (excluding AC units, electric water heater) and including pool pump and exterior lighting.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Yesterday we ordered a solar roof panel made specifically for Tesla. Supposed to add 60 or 70 miles to the Model Y range. Waiting for the call from Tesla advising the car we ordered in December has arrived.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
My med/med Transit camper at 5300lbs gets 21-24mpg. The Maverick Hybrid is the most sensible vehicle on the market today. I just with they'd do a version with 2 doors and a longer bed.

Reactions: One-Off