Electric car

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
In the market for a new car. Need the carpool sticker for my 20 mi commute (can take over an hour in rush hour).

Wife is getting a Tesla at the end of this month, but she's working online, so I'll be using her car, too.

Test drove the Rav4 Prime: awesome power (second fastest Toyota behind the Supra), but $$$. Lease is about the same as the Tesla 3. 600 mi total range, only 42 mi all electric. I love Toyotas and their reliability.

VW ID4: $$$ and a dog. Shocked at how bad this drove, since I loved my eGolf. Wish VW brought the ID3 over here... or the GTE.

Tesla Y: weird to have a steering wheel and tablet and nothing else up front. Fun to drive. The 3 is the about the same to lease as the 2 previous cars we test drove.

Hyundai Ioniq5: Didn't test drive it b/c it's not here, yet, but prelim reviews are good. It's still a Hyundai. Wife has the Kia Niro Plugin and it sucks worse than any car we've owned. Not sure I trust the Hyundai to be as good as the Rav4 or Tesla.

Mini Cooper SE: super fun to drive. Range sucks, but one of the cheapest EVs along w/ the Leaf. Wife was thinking the grom can drive the Mini when he's 16. His school is just up the hill so he won't need a long range car. I would drive her Tesla if she doesn't need to be back on campus.

Background: we have a Transit van to camp, road trip, and haul big crap in, which is why we can have 2 electric commuters. Going to sell the van and get a Tacoma in the next 1.5 years (when grom will get his license).

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I don't own one, but my friend got a Tesla Y and fricken loves the thing.

He was raised on classic cars (his dad owned a '57 Chevy Bel Air and '58 Corvette). He's owned a bunch of nice trucks over the years.

Claims the Tesla is his absolute favorite vehicle in every way.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
What about that electric Ford pickup everyone is putting deposits down now for next year? Not really for commuting I guess but my buddies were just talking about them. One of em put a deposit down. He nearly sold me on it from what he was describing.

ok just went and read a long motor trend article about it, with pics, and the thing looks and sounds sick. Acts as a 3 day backup generator to your house for Cthulh’s sake. maybe I should buy out my JGC lease and get a Lightning next year. 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds in an F 150.

Last edited:

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Among the current crop, I like the Ioniq 5 the best, if you're not married to Tesla as the be-all and end-all of EVs. It's one of the few EVs that doesn't look or feel like a converted dino-fuel-burner. The ID3 is a nice effort but the Ioniq, I believe, has more space and I think faster charging, not sure about that though. Surprised you didn't care for the ID4 as it's selling pretty well here in Europe, although the Model 3 is still king.

I am holding out for post-2025 for an EV; the charging network here in France is lagging, and I think there will be more AWD models (with electric rear axles of course). What I'd love is basically a RAV4 with all wheel drive but full electric.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Among the current crop, I like the Ioniq 5 the best, if you're not married to Tesla as the be-all and end-all of EVs. It's one of the few EVs that doesn't look or feel like a converted dino-fuel-burner. The ID3 is a nice effort but the Ioniq, I believe, has more space and I think faster charging, not sure about that though. Surprised you didn't care for the ID4 as it's selling pretty well here in Europe, although the Model 3 is still king.

I am holding out for post-2025 for an EV; the charging network here in France is lagging, and I think there will be more AWD models (with electric rear axles of course). What I'd love is basically a RAV4 with all wheel drive but full electric.
I think by 2030 they'll have a pretty good product out, when must first destabilize the lithium holders to gain a tighter grip on the supply, WW3 incoming :toilet:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
wuts the cheapest path to a carpool sticker?

did this game preCOVID car price increases and it was workable for some of the leases.

personally don’t want to own any EV for the next 5yrs at the earliest but gotta love the carpool loop hile and free charging at work.

I’ll always keep the taco for when I need a real vehicle.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We got one of these recently -- a 2017 still under warranty. And has 8 year battery warranty. Only has 100 miles of range, but man, it was cheap ($15K with 30K miles on it). It's fast as hell (Tesla running gear) and drives and has safety features like, well, a Mercedes. If you're not doing long commutes, I highly recommend checking one out. Oh, and finally got rid of the Vanagon. We have a mid-roof, mid-length Transit passenger van fitted up for camping as my car. Love 'em both.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

I was bummed that the ID4 drove like it did. My eGolf was one of my favorite cars to drive.

The RAV4 Prime comes standard w/ AWD. If it were cheaper, I'd get it. It's hard to justify the price when you can get a Tesla for the same.

wuts the cheapest path to a carpool sticker?

did this game preCOVID car price increases and it was workable for some of the leases.

personally don’t want to own any EV for the next 5yrs at the earliest but gotta love the carpool loop hile and free charging at work.

I’ll always keep the taco for when I need a real vehicle.
The cheapest is a used car, but the stickers only last for 3 years. I think you can get a renewal sticker once, but I'm not positive on that. (Edit: nope, you can't get a renewal, although I saw my old principal do this somehow on a used Volt, so I'm not sure how. If I knew how she did it, I'd buy a used eGolf.) The cheapest qualifying new car would be the Mini, but the Leaf just dropped it's price, so that might be it. I'd rather have a Mini for the drive.

Yeah, we need to have something else for long trips/camping/hauling gear. The EV is just for commuting.

My main requirement is how it drives. I've been leasing b/c the tech advances so quickly, I can give it back after 3 years when the sticker runs out and the tech is already outdated. I don't care so much about the reliability, since it's always warrantied, but if it sucks to drive, then I'm miserable.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think the HOV sticker eligibility is based on model year and what the state govt wants to add as incentives for EV automobile sales.

for a stint the HOV sticker was unavailable, even on new purchases, but the program was thankfully reinstated and with a couple years of access.

I guess the incentives work bc it’s the only reason I am considering leasing one.

Reactions: ghostshaper

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I know a few people that love their Kona EVs and the Ionic5 should be a big step up from that. There's also some weird ass Mazda EV/rotary combo thing coming out soon

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I think the HOV sticker eligibility is based on model year and what the state govt wants to add as incentives for EV automobile sales.

for a stint the HOV sticker was unavailable, even on new purchases, but the program was thankfully reinstated and with a couple years of access.
The sticker program is supposed to end in 2025. I'll 4 more years of commuting before I retire. I read how the avg carpool lane speed has to remain at a specified minimum, so they keep making the requirements more stringent (took out CNG cars, etc.). In 4 years, there will be too many cars that qualify.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The sticker program is supposed to end in 2025. I'll 4 more years of commuting before I retire. I read how the avg carpool lane speed has to remain at a specified minimum, so they keep making the requirements more stringent (took out CNG cars, etc.). In 4 years, there will be too many cars that qualify.
I think that’s exactly why they took it away.

for my stretch of rhe 5 for commuting, 5p-7p HOV is hit or miss whether or not moving faster than gen-pop.

am curious what the express lane dealio will be like for NCSD. funny if that becomes cheaper than the EV lease path for access, but the meters aren’t supposed to be in until 2025 iirc.

Rlacey111

Nep status
Feb 14, 2021
1628181991402.png

These seem really cool, with interesting technology. I think they have some type of skateboard platform, thats what I think they call it at least. Amazon and Ford are pretty Interested in them, they have invested big money into the company.

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I got the new issue of Car and Driver magazine last week - they named the Ford Mach E electric car of the year. They generally liked the car. Highlights from the article (their words):
  1. It's a crossover - it just borrows the Mustang Mach name. Car and Driver thinks the wide appeal of crossovers may help this car get a significant number of people interested in electric.​
  2. It has a "real" interior and controls - unlike Tesla.​
  3. It does not look like it was assembled in a tent.​

4. And with the new F150 electric that's two regular American vehicles in probably the most popular classes right now - will be interesting to see how sales do and how much this helps speed adoption. I bought my wife a Mini Cooper last year - would have gone electric but she need a 4 door and they don't make it in a 4 door electric.