Electric bikes now everywhere. (stimulus check related)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Anyone notice this? You'd see them around before but over the past months or so they seem to be everywhere (not just Lower Truffels). A noticeable uptick. Kids, adults, moms.

This style in particular popping up everywhere, all males under the age of 16 in coastal OC and SD county seem to have them:

Stimulus checks right into China's pocket?

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD and CutnSnip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah I'm seeing them everywhere. All these Chinese batteries are a huge fire hazard. The lithium ion battery on my laptop overheated and blew up. Turns out it only took 149 Fahrenheit and this is a common problem with these batteries in this brand.

I would think the stimulus would be better-spent onshoring mfg or paying-down debt, but yolo.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Anyone notice this? You'd see them around before but over the past months or so they seem to be everywhere (not just Low Ts). A noticeable uptick. Kids, adults, moms.

This style in particular popping up everywhere, all males under the age of 16 in coastal OC and SD county seem to have them:

Stimulus checks right into China's pocket?

i ‘m in pa. today. i was just talking to four hispanic guys (adults) in the wawa parking lot - they all had these tiny cycles a little bigger than mini-bikes. all hondas, all looked brand new. i asked ‘em how many hp - guy laughed and said maybe 9 or 10!

other guy said “but they’ll do 50-60 easy!”

in pa. you don’t have to wear a helmet, but the coolest thing was all four of them wore nazi wehrmacht style lids to go with the shorts and sneaks...

:jamon:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
From Carlsbad to Cardiff yesterday - other than lancers I only saw electrics.

Google Trends shows searches for electric bikes doubled around April so I guess that fits in with the stimulus check theory. LOL F'N LOL

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i ‘m in pa. today. i was just talking to four hispanic guys (adults) in the wawa parking lot - they all had these tiny cycles a little bigger than mini-bikes. all hondas, all looked brand new. i asked ‘em how many hp - guy laughed and said maybe 9 or 10!

other guy said “but they’ll do 50-60 easy!”

in pa. you don’t have to wear a helmet, but the coolest thing was all four of them wore nazi wehrmacht style lids to go with the shorts and sneaks...

:jamon:
They were on Honda Groms. Wawa lol.
1596460675490.jpeg

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I was going to buy one with mine.

Can you recommend a good model?
I have a Super73 S2 (it goes 30+ and is probably on the ragged edge of being a "bicycle") that is really great, my daughter has a Rad Powered on order and I added a Bafang mid drive kit to my wife's cruiser. We haven't really done sh!t this summer and I had to cancel a couple snowboard trips, so that $$ paid for the bikes. It's really nice throwing a board on the rack and riding the 3 miles to the beach, the beach cruiser hated the hills here in Enci and so did my legs after a surf. Def not as much of a workout as riding the cruiser, but it feels better than driving the van and hunting for parking.

Reactions: Autoprax and Chocki