Electric bikes now everywhere. (stimulus check related)

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I've owned the 4 stroke 350cc and 2 stroke 250cc Freerides. Would love to try an electric freeride. No more oil and air filter changes = happy.
I own the 250 2-stroke. I tried the electric but it's 260lbs to my bike's 186lbs. That completely changed the feeling. Also, with all that weight and size it drains the battery in like 45 minutes. I prefer my 2-stroke or Sur-ron (110lbs and 2hr run time).

Reactions: Retropete

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I got this thing about 12 years ago. 49cc (SMV) so you can ride it in a bike lane if need be. It'll do about 40 mph if you are on flat and going with the wind. The ethanol in the fuel is a killer though if it sits for too long without being ridden. It'll hold a 12er under the seat though so that's a plus.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Electric bikes are okay for commuting and old people. If you're looking at them for recreation and you're young and able bodied you're a sad pathetic loser.

Reactions: Havoc

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Electric bikes are okay for commuting and old people. If you're looking at them for recreation and you're young and able bodied you're a sad pathetic loser.
good thing no young able bodied types post here...

and i don’t like when the sad pathetic losers stray out of their designated forum.

:waving:

Reactions: Autoprax

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Took a ride a friend of a friend's Faraday e-bike.

The silicon brain it has makes me think things are getting too complicated, but it makes for a nice even pedal rhythm and effort...muscle work done for motion on flats is about the same work done for getting up a hill. So for your everyday person who just wants to do stuff within 5-10 miles of home, like getting a 12-pack or picking up supplies for a few days of groceries, well, it keeps them out of a car, and that I like.

Don't know if I want one for myself though. Once you get used to power, hard to go back to less.

Last edited:

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
I have a electric mountain bike. I also have a normal pedal MTB and a gravel bike. I use my ebike to coach our high school cross country mountain bike team. I Didn't have one the first few years of coaching, but now many coaches have them. If you've ever tried to keep up with a high school junior or senior XC racer, you would understand. Hell even the good freshman and sophomores kick ass. And they aren't aloud to ride on thier own during practice, so one coach has to be with 6-8 riders. So I have no problem rationalizing mine. Plus, lets be honest, they are a blast to ride, especially the good ones. Most doubters or haters have never ridden one. And many times over the last 2 years of having one, one of my hater friends, takes mine for a whirl, and comes back with a sh!t eating grin on thier face. A couple months later, they have one. My 14 year old daughter just bought a street commuter ebike. She had been spending a lot of time inside over the last year. Now, her and two of her friends have em. They are out on the daily riding all over Oceanside and Carlsbad. They ride down to the beach and surf or bodysurf all the time. No longer is she reliant upon us for rides everywhere. She is mobile. I am a big advocate of riding bikes, doesn't matter what type. Anything to get you outside the house and not riding in a car. An asshole is an asshole doesn't matter if they ride shortboards, longboards, road bikes or ebikes. PS- I hate road bikes, especially in big groups. and more especially along the coast. If you ride a road bike in a big group, along the coast, yes, you are an asshole!

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I have a electric mountain bike. I also have a normal pedal MTB and a gravel bike. I use my ebike to coach our high school cross country mountain bike team. I Didn't have one the first few years of coaching, but now many coaches have them. If you've ever tried to keep up with a high school junior or senior XC racer, you would understand. Hell even the good freshman and sophomores kick ass. And they aren't aloud to ride on thier own during practice, so one coach has to be with 6-8 riders. So I have no problem rationalizing mine. Plus, lets be honest, they are a blast to ride, especially the good ones. Most doubters or haters have never ridden one. And many times over the last 2 years of having one, one of my hater friends, takes mine for a whirl, and comes back with a sh!t eating grin on thier face. A couple months later, they have one. My 14 year old daughter just bought a street commuter ebike. She had been spending a lot of time inside over the last year. Now, her and two of her friends have em. They are out on the daily riding all over Oceanside and Carlsbad. They ride down to the beach and surf or bodysurf all the time. No longer is she reliant upon us for rides everywhere. She is mobile. I am a big advocate of riding bikes, doesn't matter what type. Anything to get you outside the house and not riding in a car. An asshole is an asshole doesn't matter if they ride shortboards, longboards, road bikes or ebikes. PS- I hate road bikes, especially in big groups. and more especially along the coast. If you ride a road bike in a big group, along the coast, yes, you are an asshole!
I agree with all of this.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
"My 14 year old daughter just bought a street commuter ebike. She had been spending a lot of time inside over the last year. Now, her and two of her friends have em. They are out on the daily riding all over Oceanside and Carlsbad. They ride down to the beach and surf or bodysurf all the time. No longer is she reliant upon us for rides everywhere. She is mobile."

This is awesome

Reactions: keenfish

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Facetious
What is the difference between sarcasm and facetiousness?

I wonder.

Facetiousness is a quality of joking around, or treating serious subjects in a humorous way. Your facetiousness might make it hard for your friends to take you seriously.

sarcasm: sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

2a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

b: the use or language of sarcasm

I guess I do both.

I think my facetiousness is often mistaken for sarcasm.

Maybe that is why some people hate me?

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
"electric bikes = bad
surboards longer that 6'6" = bad" - facetious

"Awesome, thanks for letting me know I'm double bad. I really appreciate your opinion" - sarcastic

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I was supposed to go into the DMV for my renewal this spring, then the pandemic hit, so I got to renew online.

Still get to look like my 30 yr old self for another few years, though not sure what it gains me :monkey: