Electoral College

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
They don't have all the say - they just don't get totally ignored.

I agree that there shouldn't be as big a disconnect between the popular vote and the EC. I mean, under the current rules of place and based on how both these campaigns were run the amateur politician who raised half the campaign money beat the consummate insider with all the big money donors by a 20% margin in the EC votes despite losing the popular vote. That's obviously a problem that requires some changes to the EC at the very least.

And maybe we should just permanently disenfranchise all the communities - larger and smaller - in all the flyover states. But if so, there's a process for that.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You really do have problems with what the meaning of a vote is, don't you? What's the difference between an M&M taken from the top of the winning bowl instead of the bottom? The winning EC bowl doesn't accumulate enough M&Ms to win without every contributing source. The results are so sensitive to capturing every EC vote possible that the contributing sources that aren't certain become the battlegrounds even while the states that are assumed solid are taken for granted. .

Not one of the blue candidates for POTUS in recent history could have won their respective elections had CA voted against them. Not even Obama.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
GDaddy said:

I agree that there shouldn't be as big a disconnect between the popular vote and the EC. I mean, under the current rules of place and based on how both these campaigns were run the amateur politician who raised half the campaign money beat the consummate insider with all the big money donors by a 20% margin in the EC votes despite losing the popular vote. That's obviously a problem that requires some changes to the EC at the very least.

And maybe we should just permanently disenfranchise all the communities - larger and smaller - in all the flyover states. But if so, there's a process for that.
Not sure that I agree there is a structural problem with the EC, at least not for the reasons you cite (probably in jest?) above. I'm no fan of Trump, but a big fan of forcing the DNC and RNC to recalibrate their BS assumptions and donor pools.

How would you reform the EC? Serious question, I'm curious.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
One of the other posters commented on the possibility of rebalancing the EC, and I agree. I don't think there should be a big disconnect between the popular vote vs the EC vote.

The big urban centers are going to continue to amass larger portions of the population as we go, so I'm not sure there's a practical way to prevent the outright purchase of the presidential vote via cash entitlements. But in any case nothing happens without due process so within that context I am content to cede my own personal political interests to whatever we-the-people decide to do about the EC.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the janitor said:
GDaddy said:

Not sure that I agree there is a structural problem with the EC, at least not for the reasons you cite (probably in jest?) above. I'm no far of Trump, but a big fan of forcing the DNC and RNC to recalibrate their BS assumptions and donor pools.

How would you reform the EC? Serious question, I'm curious.
Send it to the dustbin of history

One person = one vote

There is really no discussion to be had

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
GDaddy said:
One of the other posters commented on the possibility of rebalancing the EC, and I agree. I don't think there should be a big disconnect between the popular vote vs the EC vote.

The big urban centers are going to continue to amass larger portions of the population as we go, so I'm not sure there's a practical way to prevent the outright purchase of the presidential vote via cash entitlements. But in any case nothing happens without due process so within that context I am content to cede my own personal political interests to whatever we-the-people decide to do about the EC.
For the umpteenth time, get this idea of sectionalism out of your mind. We are one nation under one president, regardless of where we live. If the minority population can't get enough votes for their candidate, they need to work harder

We don't need affirmative action in any sector of life

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:

That was ME! We agree on something!!!

Yeah, it's gotta be even. America today isn't America of 200+ years ago.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If I didn't comment that I agreed with that when you posted it then that's my bad because I meant to.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
FecalFace said:
GDaddy said:
They don't have all the say

When was the last time California decided an election?
When it comes to Dems winning in recent POTUS elections, it's YUGE.

There was a time prior to 1992 that California went Repub for POTUS most every election back to WWII. JFK's election was the only blip in that 40 year run.

For 2016, take California out of the popular and electoral voter counts, and Trump wins BOTH popular and Electoral by substantial margins (it'd be near landslide in the electoral by percentage, or 306 to 177).

California means EVERYTHING to the Dems, but the DNC overlooked and took that for granted everywhere else in the nation, and to their peril. They put it all on black (Hillary) and gambled it all, house and senate with it. Will they learn? :hithead: They now think pushing even further left and PC will be their savior. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
GromsDad said:
frvcvs said:
GromsDad said:
StuAzole said:
ifallalot said:
I wonder if all you tards would be supporting the Electoral College if cuntbag had won by electoral votes and Trump had won the popular.

At least I'm consistent in knowing that it needs to be destroyed
I think the problem for them is that it's gone majority loss the same way twice in the past 5 elections.

Stop to consider why that happens. Do you really want people who live like this to determine who is our president simply because a sh!t-ton of them are cramped into living in such shitty places and because democraps can entice them to vote against the makers in this country. These people have no perspective on the rest of the country. You think these assholes are ever going to vote against free stuff?

So in another words what you're saying is that the votes of the poor and mostly minority communities of this country shouldn't count, am I right?
No. I'm saying large concentrations of city dwellers (assholes) shouldn't determine policy for everyone else who live in less concentrated places.
You want protected minority status for folks living the rural life?...even with self-driving tractors just around the corner?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Actually, it all makes sense.

"Trump, the future president, got this information from a writer who goes by “Prison Planet” on a right-wing conspiracy site called InfoWars, which in turned based their claims on two tweets by a random Twitter user who, himself, offered no proof."

:foreheadslap:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
FecalFace said:

"Trump, the future president, got this information from a writer who goes by “Prison Planet” on a right-wing conspiracy site called InfoWars, which in turned based their claims on two tweets by a random Twitter user who, himself, offered no proof."

Would that make it Fake News? :shrug:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
frvcvs said:
FecalFace said:

Would that make it Fake News? :shrug:
No, because it's not CNN.