Elbow Pain

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
About 3 weeks ago I banged my left elbow on a work bench pretty good. At the moment it hurt pretty bad like you would expect from banging an elbow or a knee. Nothing unusual about it. While I had no visible bruising or swelling it continued to hurt when it comes into contact like a really bad bruise. I shrugged it off and just assumed it was a contusion and would get better with time cause I've had no discomfort in regular function or mobility of the joint. But 3 weeks or so later it seems to be worse not better. Just leaning on a padded arm rest can be excruciating. The pain is right on the tip of my elbow when bent. I'm almost embarrassed to go to a doctor with it cause it seems like nothing. But the pain is like lightning when I hit it just right. Almost like I have a piece of glass stuck in my elbow. I've wondered if this could be bursitis but from what I know that usually comes with swelling. Is gout maybe? From what I know of that it mostly affects joints in the hands and feet? Could it affect the elbow? But at the same time I know when I banged it for the first time and this all began.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Maybe not your deal, but i've been dealing with a bone spur in my elbow. Started feeling it a few years back, but nothing that bad or concerning. Doc thought it was just overuse, possibly small tear and rest it. It never got better and pain would come and go. It didn't really stop me from doing things so I ignored it a good bit. Fast fwd to now... it has progressed to something that keeps me from surfing most days or if I do I'm pretty limited. Sharp pain right on the tip of my elbow when straightening my arm or pushing off anything that kind of loads the elbow. Had Xray's recently and it revealed a large bone spur. I start trying therapy for it next week and if that doesn't help than surgery to remove it.

Reactions: oeste858
Aug 29, 2019
“Bruised bone”. That is, bones don’t bruise, but think of it as a piece of styrofoam. You can break it in half, or just crush a little piece inward. Bone is the same.

If there is no boggy swelling, it’s not bursitis. Just a bone contusion. It will hurt like the bejesus for 4-6 weeks, like even if you put it on the pillow to turnover, then it will be gone. Just don’t bump it again in the meantime.

Reactions: Aruka and $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
“Bruised bone”. That is, bones don’t bruise, but think of it as a piece of styrofoam. You can break it in half, or just crush a little piece inward. Bone is the same.

If there is no boggy swelling, it’s not bursitis. Just a bone contusion. It will hurt like the bejesus for 4-6 weeks, like even if you put it on the pillow to turnover, then it will be gone. Just don’t bump it again in the meantime.
sounds about right, prob is I bump it like 50x a day.