Elbow pain directly on tip

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Any of you guys dealt with this? Its not on the outside or inside but right on the tip of the elbow. Hurts to the touch, pushups, or straightening the arm. Has bothered me enough to keep me out the water the past 4-5 days since it makes it a bit painful to duckdive or popup. Been doing forearm stretches to try to help it and just started taking a joint supplement (mostly consists of Glucosamine/Chondroitin). Thought it was improving yesterday, so was hoping to go for some waves today, but woke up to it aching again. I've spent a lot of years turning wrenches on cars, surfing and doing game art on computers for work. I'm guessing my elbow's probably have a good amount of wear and tear.

Any suggestions to help it is appreciated. Not being able to surf is killing my mood.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
No noticeable swelling. I did see something about Elbow Bursitis online but mine doesn't have fluid on it or swelling like I see from others. Nothing traumatic happen to it, just gradually started hurting one day, and went to surf and it kicked up more and i had to call the session.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I've had it. Mine was bursitis. The swelling can be minor. Mine lasted for months, until one day, for work I had to wear elbow pads. A day of compression and it was gone. I guess I squeezed the swelling out.

Reactions: trifish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I wonder if it's possible to have a bone spur of some sort that the tendon moves over while paddling or doing push ups, causing inflammation? If it persist call your MD.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
this happens to me every so often, and some of my friends too. resting it works for me, but it definitely hurts to duck dive and pop up when its around

Super66

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 24, 2019
You can try it but unfortunately there is no such thing as a trigger point. Rolling a device across soft tissue doesn't do anything.

If it comes and goes it's unlikely to be a bone spur.

Could be bursitis, could be some other soft tissue injury likely tricep tendonitis. Where the triceps tendon inserts onto the olecranon process you can get irritation from over use or other inflammatory disorders. If it's just an overuse injury, easing up on the stress while still keeping the joint active is the cure. Easy with the work load as chronic soft tissue injuries can take forever to heal so you don't want it to get to that point. If nothing works your physician may recommend you to a rheumatologist to investigate the possibility of a systemic inflammatory cause for ongoing chronic pain.

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thanks, i'm bad about going to the doctor, but i'm going to have to schedule an appointment. 7 days and no sign of improvement. Was hoping it would fade while taking it easy, but taking longer than i had hoped already.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You can try it but unfortunately there is no such thing as a trigger point. Rolling a device across soft tissue doesn't do anything.
My experience has been different.

At the very least it eliminates the perception of pain.

Which is kind of the goal.

But I've perceived other changes as well.

I think some people don't have "trigger points."

I'll grant you that the phrase "trigger point" might be bad branding.

I just bought one of these.

Last edited:

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Bursitis. Just had my elbow drained this past Friday. I had a small tender spot on tip of my left elbow about 2 weeks ago. No swelling. Didn't think anything of it. Then over course of the next week it started getting swollen. Would get worse as the day went on. Iced it here and there but didn't really rest it at all. Continued to surf and do stuff with my kids. Literally surfed the night before I got it drained and twice since. Doesn't hurt but going to keep it wrapped for next couple of weeks before follow up.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Chronic bone irritation? Extensor tendinitis? Is the skin of your elbow soft or calloused? Have you tried one of those cool sleeves like the basketball players wear, you know, to look cool, but in your case it might actually help the problem. Not likely to help your jump shot, but you'll look cool.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Finally had my appointment since I haven't been able to surf because of it the past few weeks. Doctor checked it out and is convinced it is a tear on a ligament caused from either me torqueing heavily on my classic car or possibly surfing. He said 6 weeks to heal (I'm around 3 weeks in now). He wanted me to keep resting it the next few weeks and reevaluate it than if it is still giving me trouble. Feeling a little better the past few days so maybe he is right, just sucks being out the water. Guess I'll just take it easy next few weeks.

Chronic bone irritation? Extensor tendinitis? Is the skin of your elbow soft or calloused? Have you tried one of those cool sleeves like the basketball players wear, you know, to look cool, but in your case it might actually help the problem. Not likely to help your jump shot, but you'll look cool.
I gave one of those sleeves a shot early on for the heck of it without much success. I work at a computer and figured maybe it would help at the time. Elbow skin is soft. This isn't a common injury for me, but I have felt something similar that healed up over a few days about a year back.

Reactions: SurfDoc