El Salvador

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Revo was the perfect board for K59. I rode it with the Von Sol stilleto quad and it was amazing!

Hydroshort for big Mizata and big Roca. Thruster with Futures P6 fin was the way to go.
pretty fun to ride boars you love in actual waves, isn't it? glad you had a fun trip.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
pretty fun to ride boars you love in actual waves, isn't it? glad you had a fun trip.
Big learning curve! The waves have so much power and sort of reform on themselves. Absolute nothing like Oceanside (even on a good day).

I got so hot surfing too. I never knew how hot the water was in tropical countries. My wax melted and was hard to get good grip on my feet too.

But yes... very fun to surf boards you love in good waves!

Reactions: tedshred5

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Saw a local dude slip and snap his ankle doing the rock dance at punta Roca. Waves were firing. Las Flores and mango were fuggin sick but totally not a place I'd ever take my chick.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Saw a local dude slip and snap his ankle doing the rock dance at punta Roca. Waves were firing. Las Flores and mango were fuggin sick but totally not a place I'd ever take my chick.
I was wondering about the wife and family too. I think I would take them to Mizata - that place had a nice resort with multiple spots for waves. Maybe stay at K59 too. What a beautiful country. I heard the president has cracked down on the gangs A LOT. So hopefully it becomes more and more of a safe place for residents and visitors.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Made a short little video from the El Sal trip. A guided surf trip by a professional surfer is definitely the way to go!

Timmy's was ripping everyday and his coaching helped so much! The content he provided was amazing too. :shaka:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I was wondering about the wife and family too. I think I would take them to Mizata - that place had a nice resort with multiple spots for waves. Maybe stay at K59 too. What a beautiful country. I heard the president has cracked down on the gangs A LOT. So hopefully it becomes more and more of a safe place for residents and visitors.

That's one way to look at it...

Reactions: CutnSnip

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
That's one way to look at it...
During the 90s and early 00s the gang/crackhead culture made it decidedly sketchier, but the lineups were much more regulated and orderly. An asshole from Tunco showing up with a van of 12 frothing Brazzos would not have been tolerated.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
During the 90s and early 00s the gang/crackhead culture made it decidedly sketchier, but the lineups were much more regulated and orderly. An asshole from Tunco showing up with a van of 12 frothing Brazzos would not have been tolerated.
I was given a good burn at El Zonte by a local. Some tattoo artist from El Tunco splashed water at me in Punta Roca and told me to "get out", and an american implant at K59 gave me a little push back and then was cool and gave me the run down of the place.

I was respectful and didnt act like an asshole, but I was frothin pretty hard at K59 (espcially with all the tourist blowing waves on the inside).

We only surfed Roca because it was so big everywhere else and that was the only place that could handle that size swell. We waited till the afternoon once everyone got out and let the locals to go on the sets, or took the smaller inside waves... but you could tell they were just letting me know they were local.

There's so many waves and opporunties to surf alone that I didn't stress it at all. But the lineups seems to still be regulated - even just a little bit - which is good in my opinion.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Made a short little video from the El Sal trip. A guided surf trip by a professional surfer is definitely the way to go!

Timmy's was ripping everyday and his coaching helped so much! The content he provided was amazing too. :shaka:

Great video. Nice surfing, D!

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
But the lineups seems to still be regulated - even just a little bit - which is good in my opinion.
such a different vibe at Las Flores from what youre describing. we didnt venture out west where you were but there locals were hooting us in to waves, letting sets go, and te only vibes we caught were from 2 brazzos who got mad they couldnt snag a wave but also didnt paddle to the top of the point. its so friggen cill down there..almost to chill.

Reactions: MathDebater

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
such a different vibe at Las Flores from what youre describing. we didnt venture out west where you were but there locals were hooting us in to waves, letting sets go, and te only vibes we caught were from 2 brazzos who got mad they couldnt snag a wave but also didnt paddle to the top of the point. its so friggen cill down there..almost to chill.
Wow. Gonna have to visit there on the next trip. It was a pretty chill vibe at K59 (like you're describing), but El Zonte on an afternoon session was mayhem.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

Looks so fun and nice to see the Revo in good action.

One day in the hopefully not-so-distant future my Revo will meet what could be considered real waves.

Jan 15, 2020
IMHO El Salvador is the best of the Centro spots for a Summer horror escape.

Last time I tried going overseas in sub-62 water I spent two weeks in Punta Hermosa in August wishing the Senoritas crowd size/hassle would mellow to First Peak Sebastian levels. South Africa is too far for a week, and Chile, unless you have a 4wd and know where you're going, it looks like you might as well just go get sections paddled down on you at Pavones (South) or Puerto (Atacama) so you don't have to deal with the same thing in a 3/2 or 4/3.

Mainland Mexico IMHO is still the king of Summer trips from the US, but the flight's longer + $$, the bus missions are longer, etc.
Nicaragua was better in my experience. Granted, it all depends on the waves you're looking to ride and conditions.

Jan 15, 2020
So as far as Punta Roca goes is it safe to say the power of this wave is just a cleaner uppers style wave. Looks like it to me watching the comp. Forecast is kinda showing and figuring it will start 4-6 occ 7 so is there any point bringing a step up for this wave or a HPSB and a couple twin fins? I know when uppers breaks at this height many guys at there still using fish or grovel boards
La Punta has noticeably more power than uppers and breaks harder from what I've seen. Even on the bad days.