El Salvador

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
looking to do a 4 day quick trip solo mission and wanted to see if anyone has any info on nice cheap places to stay and any surf guides that can take me to less crowded destinations. Not looking for luxury just descent place with close proximity to good waves

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
cant say about budget options, but im here right now at Las Flores Resort. 1350 all inclusive for a week, but it gets crowded during the best windows for sure and if i could plan it again id come when its low tide first thing in the a.m. so you get another lowtide sesh in the afternoon and amybe wait for negative lowtides as well. locals say Spetember through OCtober is the best time of year for swell direction and crowds. be prepared to just chill when youre not surfing. aint sh!t to do here.

its super rad here though - been surfing at least 2 times a day, pretty much head high+ the whole time with yesterday getting a bit bigger with glassy conditions all day. eating and drinking like a king and having a blast with the homies. highly recommended.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
That’s exactly what I‘m looking for. No wife or kids just me for 4 nights surfing my brains out. Do you know Las Flores provides surf guides? I know AST does when looking around for place. What did pack in your quiver or what would you wish you took? I’m thinking a RNF retro and a twin pin based on what I see on YouTube

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
i think they only really go to Punta Mango and a couple other spots close by. Punta Mango hasnt really been lining up while weve been here. we went once but there were like 20 guys out so we turned around. its pretty far from everything else but you could talk to some locals and maybe find what youre looking for..maybe try and secure that beforehand.

i took a 6'0 grinder x, a 5'6 banjo, and a 6'4 stepup. Didnt need the stepup at all although i surfed it on the biggest day to get a little extra paddle juice. - mostly rode the grinder and then the banjo on the hightide. In hindsight i would of loved to have my 6'8 single fin down here, woulda been super fun and helped with the crowds a bit. people surfing all types of boards down here tho. lots of twinnys for sure.

heading home today - bug bitten and beat the eff up after 7 days nonstop. starting to plan to come back in early October.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Stayed at K Lodge last summer between k59 & k61, would recommend. 59 is a much better wave but 61 works to spread out and get a few away from the crowd. Feet and ankles beat to sh!t from scrambling over the cobblestones.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
That’s exactly what I‘m looking for. No wife or kids just me for 4 nights surfing my brains out. Do you know Las Flores provides surf guides? I know AST does when looking around for place. What did pack in your quiver or what would you wish you took? I’m thinking a RNF retro and a twin pin based on what I see on YouTube
AST is good. I stayed at La libertad with them a few years back. Got Roca very good and surfed a ton of other waves. Roca is crowded but a lot of the other spots were not. I think that may have changed though.

Reactions: redrider

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The waves are good and that's about it.
Punta Roca is crowded and it's you vs the locals + a bunch of tourist idiots.
It's a popular place to get robbed too.
Board and boardshorts stolen on the walk up the point makes for an interestig surf trip - try explaining to the policia in your broken Spanish what you're doing running around naked as a bluejay.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Board and boardshorts stolen on the walk up the point makes for an interestig surf trip - try explaining to the policia in your broken Spanish what you're doing running around naked as a bluejay.
I’d suggest you don’t go down to El Salvador then!

maybe Leemore is more your vibe?

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
what else do you need on a surf trip?

everywhere with good waves is crowded. didnt get up to roca but the locals we did surf with were cool AF, called us into waves etc. again we were far removed from most of el sal but saw zero sketchiness, zero bad vibes. tourists are the main problem..people paddling up to the top of the point with no reason to be up there. lots of idiot floaters just in the way fucking up your line.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
what else do you need on a surf trip?

everywhere with good waves is crowded. didnt get up to roca but the locals we did surf with were cool AF, called us into waves etc. again we were far removed from most of el sal but saw zero sketchiness, zero bad vibes. tourists are the main problem..people paddling up to the top of the point with no reason to be up there. lots of idiot floaters just in the way fucking up your line.
If you're a guy who follows the rules you're left respecting the local crew while weeding through the tourists, who as you said will obliviously paddle past or just be in the way.

This is one reason I try to avoid warm water locales. Give me 62 degrees or less.

There are uncrowded places with great surf btw.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
If you're a guy who follows the rules you're left respecting the local crew while weeding through the tourists, who as you said will obliviously paddle past or just be in the way.

This is one reason I try to avoid warm water locales. Give me 62 degrees or less.

There are uncrowded places with great surf btw.
why come to a thread about el salvadore just to poo poo on it? nothing better to do with your time? ever even been there?

and thanks for the recs - i surf enough enough cold water at home. :waving: ill take a few clueless brazzos any day over the hordes of cluless dipshits i deal with in LA and Socal.

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
i think they only really go to Punta Mango and a couple other spots close by. Punta Mango hasnt really been lining up while weve been here. we went once but there were like 20 guys out so we turned around. its pretty far from everything else but you could talk to some locals and maybe find what youre looking for..maybe try and secure that beforehand.

i took a 6'0 grinder x, a 5'6 banjo, and a 6'4 stepup. Didnt need the stepup at all although i surfed it on the biggest day to get a little extra paddle juice. - mostly rode the grinder and then the banjo on the hightide. In hindsight i would of loved to have my 6'8 single fin down here, woulda been super fun and helped with the crowds a bit. people surfing all types of boards down here tho. lots of twinnys for sure.

heading home today - bug bitten and beat the eff up after 7 days nonstop. starting to plan to come back in early October.
AST is good. I stayed at La libertad with them a few years back. Got Roca very good and surfed a ton of other waves. Roca is crowded but a lot of the other spots were not. I think that may have changed though.
awesome I just booked there with a guide to mix it up on the afternoon sesh. They place looks legit and hopefully the guides can steer me in some fun less crowded waves.

Reactions: manbearpig

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
Not sure yet so far I’ve been setting things up with Jorge but if you say Juan is good I’ll ask for him. I’m not leaving till July 8th so plenty of time

Reactions: manbearpig