El Salvador k-59

Mar 31, 2010
Leaving next week, looks like pumping swell. Anyone surf it? I've never surfed K-59, only Las Flores and Punta Mango. I've heard it's heavy from a few, but it's soft like trestles from a few. Trying to decide what boards. Appreciate any advice.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
its a fun rippable wave, 61 is fun to but a bit quite a bit slower. def punchier, steeper and faster than Flores but if theres a swell like what happened the last couple days (DOH) id say youre better off going somewhere else cuz the current is PITA when its big.. You'll be about 20 minutes away from all the other spots that can probably hold the swell better. Id check Zonte.

Mar 31, 2010
Just returned from k-59. Surf pumping the whole time. Never under head high, some days double. I didn't paddle out day 1. I was straight off the red eye and walk up to double overhead plus. Watched a few guys get worked and come in so I waited until the next day. Definitely heavier then Trestles and the rocks on the way in are no joke on high tide. Saw several people get slammed including myself. Cool wave once you figure it out, current is a pain, have to paddle most of the time to stay in position and lots of cleanup sets. Lot's of duck diving. El Salvador has really cleaned up since the last time I was there about 15 years ago. Definitely going back again! Also got to see Yago, Liam, Kanoa, Caio, and Mcgillvray rip it up. They were all super cool out in the lineup. Overall a great trip. Thanks for

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Just returned from k-59. Surf pumping the whole time. Never under head high, some days double. I didn't paddle out day 1. I was straight off the red eye and walk up to double overhead plus. Watched a few guys get worked and come in so I waited until the next day. Definitely heavier then Trestles and the rocks on the way in are no joke on high tide. Saw several people get slammed including myself. Cool wave once you figure it out, current is a pain, have to paddle most of the time to stay in position and lots of cleanup sets. Lot's of duck diving. El Salvador has really cleaned up since the last time I was there about 15 years ago. Definitely going back again! Also got to see Yago, Liam, Kanoa, Caio, and Mcgillvray rip it up. They were all super cool out in the lineup. Overall a great trip. Thanks for
nice man, glad you scored. did you surf anywhere else besides 59?

Mar 31, 2010
We did surf K61 several times. The wave is definitely not as good but it's a nice break from K59's current. K61 is way softer, more like Trestles at K61, still got some long rights and there was never a current to deal with or a crowd. We didn't surf anywhere else because the ISA's were going on at Sunzal and La Bocana and the WSL at Rocas. We did go and watch a few heats. La Bocana looked super heavy! Las Rocas looked perfect! I want to go back!